Need Help 04 fz6 engine light comes on while pressing start button

Erochelle20

Reaction score
Visit site
I e replaced everything except the voltage rectifier and now when I hit the start button the engine light immediately comes on and when I let off of the start button it goes right back off. Also not getting spark I have a feeling that it's a voltage problem. Anyone able to help diagnose this?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I see you started identical threads, please delete the other one.

So let me see if I understand the problem.

- When you say you replaced everything, what does everything include?
- Which engine light comes on when you engage the starter?
- Are you getting any fault codes?
- When you hit the start button, does anything happen other than the engine light? Does the starter engage?
- What year is your FZ6?
- Is this bike stored outdoors?

This is more than likely a problem with either a corroded connector, or a relay. We can figure that out once we have some clarity for the above items.

Erochelle20

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I see you started identical threads, please delete the other one.

So let me see if I understand the problem.

- When you say you replaced everything, what does everything include?
- Which engine light comes on when you engage the starter?
- Are you getting any fault codes?
- When you hit the start button, does anything happen other than the engine light? Does the starter engage?
- What year is your FZ6?
- Is this bike stored outdoors?

This is more than likely a problem with either a corroded connector, or a relay. We can figure that out once we have some clarity for the above items.
All new fuses ckp sensor all the safety relays sensors.
The orange engine light comes on solid while I'm engaging the starter it turns over but won't start, currently not getting any fault codes.
The bike is a 2004 and it's garage kept

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a spare spark plug, you can install it in the #1 spark plug, ground the electrode to the engine, engage the starter and check for spark. If you don’t have a spare (it doesn’t have to be for the FZ, but it has to be known to be good) you’ll have to remove #1 or 4 and check for spark.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since you aren't throwing any codes, the problem isn't with a sensor or the FI system; as I mentioned above it is likely a corroded connector. Confirming if there is or isn't spark may help identify the problem.

Has the nature of the problem changed since you started swapping parts? It is possible that you disconnected (accidentally or purposely) the harness somewhere and it simply needs to be reinserted.

Another step I'd like you to do is to go into diagnostic mode and see if there are any fault codes stored in the ECU. To enter this mode, with the switch in the off position, simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to “ON”, and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more.

Press the SELECT button until you see “dIAG”. After selecting “dIAG”, simultaneously press the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons for 2 seconds or more to enter the selection. See if any codes are present. You can hit RESET to see if there are more than one.

Last edited:

Erochelle20

Reaction score
Visit site
It turns out the stator was bad and wasn't producing but 3 volts no matter the rpm difference, so I'm unwinding and rebuilding the stator and using a delta configuration and see if that changes the situation