2004 FZ6-complete bike with frame damage. Great for part out / project $1000 (NYC)

Dannyboy676

Reaction score
Visit site
2004 FZ6-complete bike with frame damage. Great for part out / project $1400 (NYC)

Hey guys, I live in Manhattan and park on the street without a garage so a part out would be difficult but I have a 2004 yamaha with a cracked frame and front fairing damage (one headlight is still good) for sale.
Asking $1,400.
Bike RUNS and DRIVES straight.
Near new pr 4 tires.
As far as my abilities can tell, I don't believe the forks are bent.
Bike has 14k.

(323)286-2779

As of now, looks like I'll be repairing and fixing it myself.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this the proof of the bobbins are not good for bike, that they can possibly crack frame ?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this the proof of the bobbins are not good for bike, that they can possibly crack frame ?

If the bike hit a certain way/hard enough, they act like a lever against the threads/frame. His, ^^, are particularly long (more leverage) and often strip the engine threads..

It's not the first time it's happened... Won't be the last..

I won't have them for this reason. Better a scratch than a broke frame IMO...

I suspect the bike was backed over while stopped and the bobbin held up, but the frame didn't
Can the OP advise how the damage occurred? (stopped, riding, etc).

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless it's the angle of the picture, it looks like those are the extra long frame sliders. I would imagine that could cause the damage to be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess it depends on the quality of frame sliders, allegedly some are pre-weakened so they bend/snap if the forces are too big so they don't damage the frame. Here are some pics of a frame slider bolt that had sheared clean off on my bike "conveniently" leaving a bit in the engine mount which was a huge PITA to extract.

The brand of the sliders was "Valter Moto", I have a Givi cage now, hopefully it will provide me with better luck than the cursed sliders :D

Attachments

• IMG_20160815_160209~01.jpg
    IMG_20160815_160209~01.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20160815_160241~01.jpg
    IMG_20160815_160241~01.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 92
  • sheared bolt.jpg
    sheared bolt.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 81
  • psychedelic sliders of doom.jpg
    psychedelic sliders of doom.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 78

Dannyboy676

Reaction score
Visit site
I rear ended a smart car at speed, luckily I was OK. No injuries.
Stake is a bit altered.
I don't think the slider had anything to do with it.
The right slider was not present at time of accident.

Friend of mine advised that this might be able to welded and bolted safely and the engine will be realigned once put on a jack so it could be bolted back properly.

Dannyboy676

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, the left side where the frame is, the bolt is still there and is attached. No stripping.
I don't think this was a case of the slider causing damage.
This was just a head on collision at the wrong speed and wrong angle I believe. Unfortunately.

I thought this was a goner, but now debating keeping it unless someone takes it.

Dkobra

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. Quite a shame! I am interested in a few parts. I'm from Brooklyn.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Dannyboy676

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I live in Manhattan and park on the street without a garage so a part out would be difficult but I have a 2004 yamaha with a cracked frame and front fairing damage (one headlight is still good) for sale.
Asking $1,400.
Bike RUNS and DRIVES straight.
Near new pr 4 tires.
As far as my abilities can tell, I don't believe the forks are bent.
Bike has 11k.
Wish I could do a part out but would be near impossible.

(323)286-2779

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
If you search on here, there's a thread where someone took the side of the frame off, had it welded, and re-installed it. It was a relatively easy job, disassembling the frame with the bike together. But if you don't have a garage, might just be better off selling it as a whole to a member willing to tackle that.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you mean took a side of the frame off?

It is two parts. Left and right. It unbolts and separates. That said, it can be taken apart.

In your case it appears sprung and I would bet money it would crack elsewhere if welded off engine.

Basically it needs bent past where it bent originally, tacted into place, then removed and welded. All possible.

Just saying that if you unbolted the slider, I'd bet the frame springs out. If welded as is, the stress will crack it again. Just not in the same place.

Dannyboy676

Reaction score
Visit site
It is two parts. Left and right. It unbolts and separates. That said, it can be taken apart.

In your case it appears sprung and I would bet money it would crack elsewhere if welded off engine.

Basically it needs bent past where it bent originally, tacted into place, then removed and welded. All possible.

Just saying that if you unbolted the slider, I'd bet the frame springs out. If welded as is, the stress will crack it again. Just not in the same place.

Well, I'll have to remove the slider anyways first before doing anything. If it does spring outwards, it's most probably a goner but hopefully it isn't and can be realigned, bolted and secured with no frame stress and then welded.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'll have to remove the slider anyways first before doing anything. If it does spring outwards, it's most probably a goner but hopefully it isn't and can be realigned, bolted and secured with no frame stress and then welded.

Looking at this shot, the frontal impact and force applied at the frames steering stem really put the hurts on the structure. It is bowed and tweaked everywhere. The engine is a stressed member as part of the frame. However the force was so high it pivoted at the head mounts and did all of this...

67574d1486611006-cracked-frame-two-engine-bolts-out-2017-02-03-15-46-37-jpg

From thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/57537-cracked-frame-two-engine-bolts-out.html

Dannyboy676

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: 2004 FZ6-complete bike with frame damage. Great for part out / project $1400 (NYC)

I think so.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: 2004 FZ6-complete bike with frame damage. Great for part out / project $1400 (NYC)

Aydin, notice the bike wasn't skidding on its side. The structure damage here was done by frontal impact. The front wheel stopped and the bike kept moving so think in terms of holding the rear wheel down and shoving the front wheel back. The stress at the steering head deformed the frame. Sliders were not a factor.

Make sense?

Sliders are great for the track and smooth surfaces, but if they slide over something that catches them, results may very. Ideally sections would shear off if designed right. But this cast frame doesn't hold up like a steel frame.