Need Help 2004 FZ6N won't start after cleaning tank and replacing clutch plates

nataliacristina2603

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry if anyone has posted this thread before, I didn't find anything that applies to my case, so...

we bought the bike 2 weeks ago and the tank was very, very rusty and releasing bits of rust that I feared to be mixing with the petrol. the bike was working just fine so far.
3 days ago, me and my husband disassembled the bike to replace clutch discs and springs and also to deep clean the fuel tank.

so, today we put it all together, clutch is fine and no more rust in the tank as far as I can see and we put new petrol, but the won't start at all.

what happens is, we turn the key on, bike in neutral, side stand up, panel lights all good, no error code, fuel pump is working and it has enough battery.
then I press the start button, the bike turns on for 2 secs and dies, from second time onwards the bike doesn't fire up anymore and the Ignition light turns ON at the same time I'm pressing the start button.
The motor starter only spins with almost zero spark from the second time, if I pull the throttle together it cuts off spark and the motor starter keeps spinning fast.
we tried turn it on every 10 min but the same thing happens over and over.

we checked:
the battery-ok, I have not measured the voltage yet.
fuel pump- seems to be ok, we can hear it filling up
motor starter-ok
fuel-ok

so, is the engine flooded? or it isn't sending fuel at all? or something else?
sorry for the bad explanation, I'm not familiar with the terms.
I got a video

cheers.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try holding the throttle WIDE OPEN and push the start button for maybe 5 seconds. Repeat up to 3-4 times to see if it'll start.

If it does not start, remove the air filter and spray just a spritz down the throttle bodies- We want to see if the bike fires off indicating a fueling issue(which is what it sounds like). The engine can be run with the tank propped up(with enough fuel)..

I would also re-check both the electrical and fuel line connectors to the fuel tank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1, ^^^.

To add to the above (I assumed it ((the pump))was cleaned, likely not) you can open the pump up to a point and inspect/partially clean the screen.

Some pic's:

To separate pump into two while in the tank for MUCH EASIER REMOVAL. For installation, the pump can go back in assembled:

The screen at the bottom of the pump(cannot be replaced) but possibly cleaned:

nataliacristina2603

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks again guys, all the tips are very helpful, I'm noob, this is my first 4-cil bike.

So, when I cleaned the tank we did take the pump housing off, disassemble and clean with gasoline all the parts/connectors and I tried to take as much dirt as I could from the fuel filter, it was full of rusty bits and clay?! I don't know, it was just as bad as the tank itself.
then we left the pump dipped in new petrol to avoid drying out and cracking, because all the tank cleaning took me a day to finish.

Anyway, I tried the open throttle, but no response, every time I tested the throttle the bike died, then after 10-ish minutes the bike would turn on for 2-3 seconds, so it came to my mind that something that something was blocking the petrol injection.

I took one of spark plugs off to see if they were soaked, and they were not, so she probably wasn't flooded.
Then I took the fuel pump off again and there was a tiny ring out of place (it is placed sealing the exit pipe of the pump housing) that was making the tank leak when you disconnect the petrol hose, I assembled it back and the tank stopped leaking.
then I used the compressor to air spray all the hoses, the two respirators (is that the name?) and the feeding one that sends petrol to the engine.
Some dirt came out of all the three, and that was it! the bike started first time!
I believe that it was either the dirt in the hoses or the ring in the fuel pump housing that wasn't sealing the exit and every time the pump pressure pushed the petrol, the liquid would leak through the ring and be back into the tank instead of following its way out, then the engine would not have enough petrol to run and stop.

After all that, the bike runs, but when I pull the throttle and stop the rev goes down to 800rpm, almost die and comes back to normal (1200rpm), sounds like it cuts the fuel for a second and goes back to normal, I don't know understand these drop downs , that does not happen if I slowly release the throttle.
Also, now the fuel gauge isn't working properly, it flashes all the 8 bars constantly, that happened the third time I took the fuel pump out, when I found the ring problem. Anyone figured that out?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m glad you got the bike running again. It sounded like a FOD issue from the tank cleaning. Do a search on this forum, there are several threads on a fluctuating idle.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still issues obviously.. I'd replace that pump as well. you know it had / has issues..

When you re-installed the pump/fuel level sender, did you do so in one piece?

With the fuel gauge blinking, sounds like the float/arm, etc is hanging up and not "floating"

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the winter I also pulled the pump and cleaned it out. I had the same problems getting it started for the first time. As Scot said, I needed to hold the throttle wide open and it took a few times. I'm betting that it takes some effort to purge all the air out of the fuel system. Took so long the battery was quite weak when it finally ran.

If you think the fuel pump is incorrectly installed, take it out and take our time installing it. You might also want to run some fuel system cleaner through the system. You likely sent some crud through the system.