Need Help 2004 FZ6S - replacement Ignition lock

Watty2020

Hi, I have just bought a 2004 model FZ6S which has a very sticky ignition lock (takes about 7 attempts to get ignition on, as key is very stiff in lock and doesn’t turn easy) and I just wondered if I could just purchase a replacement ignition lock, fuel tank lock and seat lock with a new set of keys for the bike, or is that just too simple a solution? If it is a solution can someone suggest where I can purchase these from here in UK. Thanks

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Maybe try spraying a good spray lubricant into the lock, I mean really saturate the lock...fill it up...then work it through it's positions many times to see if it loosens up.

If that fails, you could get a brand new lock mechanism and have a locksmith re-key it for your existing keys, instead of buying all new locks.
You'd be looking for part #5VX-82501-11-00. It's not cheap...$145 USD here in the states...plus whatever a locksmith would charge.

Best bet is to get your existing lock working as it should.

Check this thread, and search through the forum a bit. Plenty of threads concerning the stuck ignition switch topid:
https://www.600riders.com/threads/help-sticky-ignition.44594/

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
I nursed mine with graphite for a season or two, and then finally had to replace it. I used an ebay ignition switch. The harness was short, but I just cut the harness from the old one a soldiered it on. I'm happy I made the switch (pun!) because I no longer worry if the next ride is the one where I'm going to be sitting there for 10-15 minutes hoping that it will finally work. That just sucks.

Watty2020

Maybe try spraying a good spray lubricant into the lock, I mean really saturate the lock...fill it up...then work it through it's positions many times to see if it loosens up.

If that fails, you could get a brand new lock mechanism and have a locksmith re-key it for your existing keys, instead of buying all new locks.
You'd be looking for part #5VX-82501-11-00. It's not cheap...$145 USD here in the states...plus whatever a locksmith would charge.

Best bet is to get your existing lock working as it should.

Check this thread, and search through the forum a bit. Plenty of threads concerning the stuck ignition switch topid:
https://www.600riders.com/threads/help-sticky-ignition.44594/
thanks I am going to persevere and do as you say with lubricant and see what happens. Cheers

Watty2020

I nursed mine with graphite for a season or two, and then finally had to replace it. I used an ebay ignition switch. The harness was short, but I just cut the harness from the old one a soldiered it on. I'm happy I made the switch (pun!) because I no longer worry if the next ride is the one where I'm going to be sitting there for 10-15 minutes hoping that it will finally work. That just sucks.
cheers and I am going to try lubrication on it and see how it goes over next few months. Thanks

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Another thing to check is the key itself. I had a similar issue and I kept cleaning and lubing the lock. Eventually I discovered that the key itself (aluminium) had worn down to a point that it was causing the problem. I had a fresh key made from the unused spare I had and everything works great.

Watty2020

Another thing to check is the key itself. I had a similar issue and I kept cleaning and lubing the lock. Eventually I discovered that the key itself (aluminium) had worn down to a point that it was causing the problem. I had a fresh key made from the unused spare I had and everything works great.
I have tried the spare key that came with the bike, which was like new, but it also got stuck in the barrel. But thanks for feedback