Need Help 2004 FZ6S - replacement Ignition lock

Watty2020

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have just bought a 2004 model FZ6S which has a very sticky ignition lock (takes about 7 attempts to get ignition on, as key is very stiff in lock and doesn’t turn easy) and I just wondered if I could just purchase a replacement ignition lock, fuel tank lock and seat lock with a new set of keys for the bike, or is that just too simple a solution? If it is a solution can someone suggest where I can purchase these from here in UK. Thanks

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe try spraying a good spray lubricant into the lock, I mean really saturate the lock...fill it up...then work it through it's positions many times to see if it loosens up.

If that fails, you could get a brand new lock mechanism and have a locksmith re-key it for your existing keys, instead of buying all new locks.
You'd be looking for part #5VX-82501-11-00. It's not cheap...$145 USD here in the states...plus whatever a locksmith would charge.

Best bet is to get your existing lock working as it should.

Check this thread, and search through the forum a bit. Plenty of threads concerning the stuck ignition switch topid:
https://www.600riders.com/threads/help-sticky-ignition.44594/

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I nursed mine with graphite for a season or two, and then finally had to replace it. I used an ebay ignition switch. The harness was short, but I just cut the harness from the old one a soldiered it on. I'm happy I made the switch (pun!) because I no longer worry if the next ride is the one where I'm going to be sitting there for 10-15 minutes hoping that it will finally work. That just sucks.

Watty2020

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe try spraying a good spray lubricant into the lock, I mean really saturate the lock...fill it up...then work it through it's positions many times to see if it loosens up.

If that fails, you could get a brand new lock mechanism and have a locksmith re-key it for your existing keys, instead of buying all new locks.
You'd be looking for part #5VX-82501-11-00. It's not cheap...$145 USD here in the states...plus whatever a locksmith would charge.

Best bet is to get your existing lock working as it should.

Check this thread, and search through the forum a bit. Plenty of threads concerning the stuck ignition switch topid:
https://www.600riders.com/threads/help-sticky-ignition.44594/

thanks I am going to persevere and do as you say with lubricant and see what happens. Cheers

Watty2020

Reaction score
Visit site
I nursed mine with graphite for a season or two, and then finally had to replace it. I used an ebay ignition switch. The harness was short, but I just cut the harness from the old one a soldiered it on. I'm happy I made the switch (pun!) because I no longer worry if the next ride is the one where I'm going to be sitting there for 10-15 minutes hoping that it will finally work. That just sucks.

cheers and I am going to try lubrication on it and see how it goes over next few months. Thanks

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing to check is the key itself. I had a similar issue and I kept cleaning and lubing the lock. Eventually I discovered that the key itself (aluminium) had worn down to a point that it was causing the problem. I had a fresh key made from the unused spare I had and everything works great.

Watty2020

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing to check is the key itself. I had a similar issue and I kept cleaning and lubing the lock. Eventually I discovered that the key itself (aluminium) had worn down to a point that it was causing the problem. I had a fresh key made from the unused spare I had and everything works great.

I have tried the spare key that came with the bike, which was like new, but it also got stuck in the barrel. But thanks for feedback

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried the spare key that came with the bike, which was like new, but it also got stuck in the barrel. But thanks for feedback
I have been having similar problems with mine, using the same key for 16 years. This morning when I took the spare and the red key out of the safe I tried the unused spare key and it is silky smooth :)