2005 FZ6 Fairings

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I am about to purchase my very first bike. It's my uncles 2005 FZ6. He is the original owner, the bike has 4,000 miles on it, has never been in an accident but has been dropped once. Its been garage kept and has been sitting for the past 5 years so he's going to take it into the shop for me and get everything checked out before I buy it. He even told me he'd give me my money back after 30 days if something comes up/I don't like it. Here are some pics.
1626452551957.png
1626452568792.png
1626452597260.png

I'm very excited and grateful he's selling me this bike for a very fair price ($2,500). The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of front/bottom fairings. I want it to look more sporty and have found a couple cool pictures of this exact bike with what I think is a sick fairing setup. I love this fairing set up but just cant find it anywhere:
1626452752815.png

I really would love to find this front/bottom fairing but I just can't seem to find it. I understand the bike is kinda old now so finding a fairing kit has been next to impossible. I'll post a few links to front/bottom fairings I have found and kinda like but am not in love with:

Any help or suggestions that I have not explored to help make it look more sporty are welcome! Any help on this would be great!

Thanks

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The lower fairing is unobtainium. You might be able to find what is known as a chin spoiler...if not in the US...then from Europe. A word of advice from an old time; expensive plastic fairing and new riders don't go together well. You will, at the very least, drop the bike. Nothing crushes your hopes and dreams then watching your newly painted custom fairing getting crushed from the weight of the bike.

Good score on the low-mileage bike with a known history. $2,500 is a fair price for both of you. Where in NJ are you?

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
The lower fairing is unobtainium. You might be able to find what is known as a chin spoiler...if not in the US...then from Europe. A word of advice from an old time; expensive plastic fairing and new riders don't go together well. You will, at the very least, drop the bike. Nothing crushes your hopes and dreams then watching your newly painted custom fairing getting crushed from the weight of the bike.

Good score on the low-mileage bike with a known history. $2,500 is a fair price for both of you. Where in NJ are you?

Okay thanks. Are you talking about something like a belly pan? Do you have any websites I should check? Yeah I'm probably not putting the fairings on for the first few months/year of riding, but I wanted to start my search now for it as I can already tell its going to be quite hard. I'm from central NJ Somerset county area. How about yourself?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on the Hunterdon/Warren county line.

Yes, belly ban...but I think they are called chin spoilers, but either search term should work (I've also seen them called leaf catchers). Cruise eBay (US and Europe). One might pop up from time to time. They were not an OEM accessory, so the quality might be all over the place. You'll probably be getting one from a bike that is being parted out. 2005 was a long time ago.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on the Hunterdon/Warren county line.

Yes, belly ban...but I think they are called chin spoilers, but either search term should work (I've also seen them called leaf catchers). Cruise eBay (US and Europe). One might pop up from time to time. They were not an OEM accessory, so the quality might be all over the place. You'll probably be getting one from a bike that is being parted out. 2005 was a long time ago.

Didn't even think to check Europe Ebay. I'm gonna search there now. If I find it there I owe ya a beer!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160693368756

Will this work on a 2005 or no because this is for a 2007?
There is a BIG difference in the front end of the S1 and S2. I am not sure if the mounting points are the same, but they are definitely different in shapr and in how much of the bike they cover.

Having never seen these parts before, I doubt they will fit the S1.

2 'words to the wise'.
1 - There is an important detail with these old, low mileage bikes. Tires..... Not sure if the bike has the original tires, but if so they are 16 year old. Even if they were replaced once in the bikes 16 years, they are too old to use. Not too WORN....too old. And they are dangerous. Please make sure that part of getting the bike back on the road is fitting new tires.

2 - You mentioned that this is your first bike. Don't know if that means you are a new rider. If you are, just be aware that learning on an FZ6 is more challenging then learning on a 250, so take it slow and cautiously. Have you taken a basic rider class? Full disclosure, I am an MSF RiderCoach that teaches the BRC, but this is not me being biased. Think of it this way. Only half (if indeed that much) of motorcycling is learning how to work the 'machine'. The other, more important part, is developing a keen road strategy, learning how to anticipate danger and avoid it. While it's true that as you ride more, you will develop more expert-level skills in operating the bike. But if it is only your expert-skills that are keeping you safe, it will eventually cost you. Example, to be a woodworker, you need to be able to expertly use a table saw. Someone could easily teach me to set up the say, precisely measure my cuts, show me how not to get hurt. When completed, I will a terrible woodworker who knows how to work a table saw the 'machine'. The most important part of being a woodworker (and a motorcyclist) takes place above the shoulders. If you are new, get some training. It will serve you well.

Sorry for the rant, but all of us here on the forum are committed to safety, and I'd rather you think I am needlessly preaching than for me NOT to share my experiences about my passion.

And importantly, I want to make sure that the next time someone puts together a ride in my State of NJ, that you are able to join. New folks buy lunch :)

Kidding about the lunch.

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a BIG difference in the front end of the S1 and S2. I am not sure if the mounting points are the same, but they are definitely different in shapr and in how much of the bike they cover.

Having never seen these parts before, I doubt they will fit the S1.

2 'words to the wise'.
1 - There is an important detail with these old, low mileage bikes. Tires..... Not sure if the bike has the original tires, but if so they are 16 year old. Even if they were replaced once in the bikes 16 years, they are too old to use. Not too WORN....too old. And they are dangerous. Please make sure that part of getting the bike back on the road is fitting new tires.

2 - You mentioned that this is your first bike. Don't know if that means you are a new rider. If you are, just be aware that learning on an FZ6 is more challenging then learning on a 250, so take it slow and cautiously. Have you taken a basic rider class? Full disclosure, I am an MSF RiderCoach that teaches the BRC, but this is not me being biased. Think of it this way. Only half (if indeed that much) of motorcycling is learning how to work the 'machine'. The other, more important part, is developing a keen road strategy, learning how to anticipate danger and avoid it. While it's true that as you ride more, you will develop more expert-level skills in operating the bike. But if it is only your expert-skills that are keeping you safe, it will eventually cost you. Example, to be a woodworker, you need to be able to expertly use a table saw. Someone could easily teach me to set up the say, precisely measure my cuts, show me how not to get hurt. When completed, I will a terrible woodworker who knows how to work a table saw the 'machine'. The most important part of being a woodworker (and a motorcyclist) takes place above the shoulders. If you are new, get some training. It will serve you well.

Sorry for the rant, but all of us here on the forum are committed to safety, and I'd rather you think I am needlessly preaching than for me NOT to share my experiences about my passion.

And importantly, I want to make sure that the next time someone puts together a ride in my State of NJ, that you are able to join. New folks buy lunch :)

Kidding about the lunch.

Hey! I appreciate the reply. Yes, I am currently in the process of getting into a course and I have my DMV test scheduled for the end of august. I'm hoping that I can get into a course soon. this Saturday I will be showing up to one of the rider courses at 7am to see if anyone is a no show so I can get in. I was told that I was very lucky I got the DMV testing date so im going to keep that and role with it. I definitely understand how it may be difficult to learn on a bike like this because of all the power it has. I've been told by many people. However, I cannot pass up the price and I will definitely be taking it VERY VERY slow. I appreciate it and cant wait to get on it and learn and meet some new people!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So when it comes to mods, let me toss my 2 cents in. I agree with Gary. I have replaced plastics on the bike a few times. Some were broken when I bought it, some got busted in 0 mph drops, and others when I had a low-side crash last summer after riding over some spilled diesel fuel.

My 05 started life with the same color scheme as yours. After the crash last summer I painted the tank and visors (the swooshes on the fairing) a pearl white and the rear grab handles black.

The BEST mods I ever did.. Replaced the forks with some from an 03 R6 and added an Ohlins rear shock. The suspension upgrades totally TRANSFORM the bike. Much more stable and precise on the road.

FYI, the pic was before it was completed. The chain is now properly tensioned and I added the red reflective rim tape to the front wheel.

Attachments

• 20210627_160956.jpg
    20210627_160956.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 21

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
So I guess my question would start with what’s the difference between the forks and the shocks? Sounds like I can just buy the shocks but finding the forks will take some time?

yeah if anyone knows any good painters in NJ/eastern PA area I’d love to get my bike painted during the winter months or something.

found the fairings I wanted for my bike. Just waiting to hear from my uncle if the gas tank is clear or not. It has a very very small amount of oil that has been left in it for the past 5 years (the bike says the tank is completely empty but you can hear a very small sloshing sound when you shake the bike).

the gas cap is corroded so even after a WD-40 spray down the thing still won’t open. Might need to drill it later this week and get a new one. Found them prettty cheap on amazon

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 74357
Also, what is this plastic piece called? And where is my best bet in finding a set for either side.

Swingarm and a plastic chain guard is what I see.
And this pic is not from your bike, it's from an S2.

Might wanna point (at your bike) and post a pic of exactly you need to know..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 74357
Also, what is this plastic piece called? And where is my best bet in finding a set for either side.
Not sure which piece you are referring to. Here is a link to a really good parts breakdown. There are some good on-line places to get parts, and I use PartZilla a lot.

FYI even though I have an 05, the swingawm is from an 09. I liked the style of the part and it does make chain tensioning a bit easier.....

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I guess my question would start with what’s the difference between the forks and the shocks? Sounds like I can just buy the shocks but finding the forks will take some time?

yeah if anyone knows any good painters in NJ/eastern PA area I’d love to get my bike painted during the winter months or something.

found the fairings I wanted for my bike. Just waiting to hear from my uncle if the gas tank is clear or not. It has a very very small amount of oil that has been left in it for the past 5 years (the bike says the tank is completely empty but you can hear a very small sloshing sound when you shake the bike).

the gas cap is corroded so even after a WD-40 spray down the thing still won’t open. Might need to drill it later this week and get a new one. Found them prettty cheap on amazon

The forks are in the front, extending down from the handle bars to the front wheel. These are R6 forks.....

1626802043278.png

The rear has a single coil-over shock under the seat extending down to the swingarm. The pic below is the Ohlins that @Gary in NJ put on and I followed suit. If you look at the pic of my bike you can see a little of the Yellow spring.

1626802138006.png

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mr Green,

I certainly like and understand your enthusiasm for motorcycling and your FZ6 (i've had that same enthusiasm since I was 10 years old). But I have to say, slow down. Before you start throwing some expensive parts at your FZ6, you should probably pass the Rider Ed class and get a few hundred miles of experience riding the bike. Once you have a feel for how the bike behaves, what you like about it and what you don't like about it, then you can decide where your money is best spent.

For example, the shock referenced above is a $600 (plus) item - and you wont find a used one. There use to be more options out there, but as the bike has aged away from production, companies like Fox and Penski have moved on as well. Anyway, $600 is 25% of what you paid for the bike. Also, those parts, while nice on the bike while you own it, don't raise the resale value. It becomes sunk money.

Regarding the forks, there are expensive upgrades, easy upgrades and useless upgrades. Understand WHY you want to upgrade before you choose a path.

Right now I'd focus on safety items; tires, brakes and cables. These are wear items that connect the bike to the road, and you to the machine. If all of these need service...well there's the $600 for the shock. I'm not telling you where and how to spend your money, but I've seen plenty of new riders invest heavily into their new bikes, only to discover that the bike isn't right for them or that they don't like riding at all. Some simply crash out. $2,500 for the bike...$1,000 to $2,000 in extras...and it will all be worth $2,500 to the next buyer (assuming it isn't rough looking after a few typical noob mishaps).

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mr Green,

I certainly like and understand your enthusiasm for motorcycling and your FZ6 (i've had that same enthusiasm since I was 10 years old). But I have to say, slow down. Before you start throwing some expensive parts at your FZ6, you should probably pass the Rider Ed class and get a few hundred miles of experience riding the bike. Once you have a feel for how the bike behaves, what you like about it and what you don't like about it, then you can decide where your money is best spent.

For example, the shock referenced above is a $600 (plus) item - and you wont find a used one. There use to be more options out there, but as the bike has aged away from production, companies like Fox and Penski have moved on as well. Anyway, $600 is 25% of what you paid for the bike. Also, those parts, while nice on the bike while you own it, don't raise the resale value. It becomes sunk money.

Regarding the forks, there are expensive upgrades, easy upgrades and useless upgrades. Understand WHY you want to upgrade before you choose a path.

Right now I'd focus on safety items; tires, brakes and cables. These are wear items that connect the bike to the road, and you to the machine. If all of these need service...well there's the $600 for the shock. I'm not telling you where and how to spend your money, but I've seen plenty of new riders invest heavily into their new bikes, only to discover that the bike isn't right for them or that they don't like riding at all. Some simply crash out. $2,500 for the bike...$1,000 to $2,000 in extras...and it will all be worth $2,500 to the next buyer (assuming it isn't rough looking after a few typical noob mishaps).

I am the impulsive one..... Gary is the voice of reason :)

Gary makes an excellent point. As a RiderCoach, the most peculiar students I have ever seen are the ones who take the class, learn well, excel in the evaluation, then turn down the DMV card that entitles them to a motorcycle endorsement. They all tell me they were unsure if they would like riding and correctly figured that the safest way was to take the class. Even though they did well, they decided they didn't like it.

Get the bike safe, take the class and get some seat time. Then you can empty your bank account :)

Mr_Green

Reaction score
Visit site
@trepetti @Gary in NJ Thank you for this! I really do appreciate it. All of this extra stuff is just me trying to understand what I'm possibly getting into. I want to be able to understand my upgrade path down the road for the bike I'm getting and stuff. I am definitely getting all the tires, brakes, and cables for sure first! Fingers crossed that someone doesn't show up to the class this Saturday and that I get in!! Waking up bright and early and couldn't be happier.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
@trepetti @Gary in NJ Thank you for this! I really do appreciate it. All of this extra stuff is just me trying to understand what I'm possibly getting into. I want to be able to understand my upgrade path down the road for the bike I'm getting and stuff. I am definitely getting all the tires, brakes, and cables for sure first! Fingers crossed that someone doesn't show up to the class this Saturday and that I get in!! Waking up bright and early and couldn't be happier.
Add a chain to the list. I'd be surprised if it did well during the bike's long slumber