2006 fz6 turns over but wont start. no spark no fuel

branden0502

Reaction score
Visit site
Good morning. So I have a 06 fz6. it was running fine. I lost the key and ordered a new ignition. installed it and then they bike would not turn over. I ran through the SM and found the start circuit cut of relay wasn't showing continuity between the post it was suppost to, so i jumped the 2 wires together to test it and the bike would turn over, but I'm getting no spark on any plug. I tested both the coils and they are within specs. It also looks like Im not getting fuel from the injectors either. I tried roll starting it and that did not work either. any tips, tricks, ideas?

Thanks

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just so I'm clear, did you order a new ignition key, or an entire new switch assembly? If it is a new assembly (which I believe it is) can you provide a link for what you bought? It maybe looking for a immobilizer - that you don't have.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would remove the jumper that you installed. You are complicating trouble shooting with a non-standard configuration. Are you getting an error code as you attempt to start the bike? Perhaps a number 30 or 41? Can you hear the fuel pump prime the system when you turn on the key?

branden0502

Reaction score
Visit site
No error code. If I remove the jumper it will not turn over at all. I installed it to see if maybe that relay was bad. Nobody can get one till next week so I am looking for a temp fix, or something I missed

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Start by testing the switch. Unplug the switch, then in the off position, testing between the wires in each connector should show an open. With the switch in the run position, each connector should show a short between the 2 wires in it.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The switch is good. When I turn the switch on, everything else works fine. Lights, gauges, fuel pump.
I am not saying you are wrong, but don't take anything for granted. The switch has 2 pair of wires. The first pair (with the RED wire) simply energizes the fuse box, which would turn on the lights, gauges, etc. But the other pair of wires controls the ECU's connection to the starting circuit cut off relay. Make sure that both circuits close with the switch

branden0502

Reaction score
Visit site
With the key on, there is continuity. I also see on the old switch there was an orange wire, but it was spliced into the red wire. The new switch only has red and brown

branden0502

Reaction score
Visit site
So I did this test on the relay unit and had no continuity on any of the checks. I’m assuming the relay is bad, or did I do the check wrong

Attachments

• F65E9F1B-E9BC-4FF8-8340-9F4BD76C153C.jpeg
    F65E9F1B-E9BC-4FF8-8340-9F4BD76C153C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well according to the chart to the left of the page, there are pins that should and should not have continuity. If the entire relay shows as open, then there is a problem. What relay is that?

branden0502

Reaction score
Visit site
Start circuit cut out relay. There was no continuity on anything. Maybe I’m reading the book wrong. It looks like it’s the same wires just switching the prongs, continuity is either there or it isn’t. Doesn’t matter which way I hook up to iy

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you rewire the ignition switch assembly with any power remaining in the system including the battery being connected and a wire goes to the wrong polarity/path, the diodes that form the logic on that assembly can be damaged. This can happen so fast you wouldn't notice it. The ECU is what conducts the orchestra and since it's not going to play the fuel injection opus it may logically not play the coil song.
This circuit has kept a few bikes from being stolen when the wires were cut.

#23 on the parts fiche.

Also make sure all of the required clutch, neutral safety, and side stand switches are attached and working.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I did this test on the relay unit and had no continuity on any of the checks. I’m assuming the relay is bad, or did I do the check wrong
Please keep in mind we are not allowed to post copyrighted Yamaha materials on our site. If your post contains any, the image should be removed.