2006 windscreen mod

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Puig double bubble on my bike. It looks great but I think the turbulance is just as bad as the stock.
Over the past few days I have been trying to reduce windnoise and general discomfort, getting ready for my trip to france next Friday.
A discussion started about screens getting bigger but still not stopping turbulance so the logic thing was to go in the other direction...smaller.
If the screen is the size of a house you will still get wet and blown around on this bike. Therefore the screen must be for:

1. The look
2. To stop turbulance and have a smoother ride.

Not necessarily in that order.

I apologise for the photos but most were taken in my shed in a thunderstorm with the lights blown out.

I am useless at DIY and attempted this with heart in mouth. I am glad I had the Puig to fall back on.

...STEP 1....MARKING THE SCREEN

First I tied a pencil to a piece of string and held the string tightly at the "Nose" of the screen. I aimed to draw a line from the edges of the screen just above the fastening holes.

Keep the line tight and move the pencil across the screen.

I did this just to see if it would would work Ok...suprise...it did.

I then repeated the procedure with a marker I could see clearly.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
COMPARING HEIGHT

Here is a photo of the stock screen placed against my PUIG DB screen.

You can see where the mark on the stock screen is.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
CUTTING THE SCREEN - GULP !!!

I do not have a Dremmell and you do not need one either.

Put a cloth under the screen to stop it from being scratched and turn it ROUND side down.

Use a hacksaw and my tip would be to hold it gently...I think it is an important tip.

When you start at the edge it is quie thick. I cut a little "V" out to help me.

Because the screen is round it means the line is not straight so you need to cut across the screen, along the line. But you will also need to make vertical cuts occasionally so you are cutting the screen in sections.

DO NOT panic over the cutting...the screen will not crack or splinter if you are gently...I am not and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a photo of the vertical cuts I was talking about.

I think I did about 4 and this picture was about the third I think.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ROUGH EDGES

OK so now the cutting is finished and you are left with a rough edge on the screen.

You also may not have followed the line to the millimetre...don`t worry.

Get some VERY; VERY fine sandpaper. I had some black BOSCH 320 lying around. I think that is the grade...320...it is almost smooth.

GENTLY sand the EDGE and NOT the face of the screen.

In fact most of the rough edge can be talen off with your nails I would imagine.

If you have not been exactly on the line you can sand it down but only sand the edge.

We are putting a trim on the edge so you don`t have to be mega exact.

DO NOT TOUCH THE FACE OF THE SCREEN WITH THE SANDPAPER.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AFTER CUTTING AND SANDING

Ok the hard bit is done now...relax and have a beer.

Here is a photo of the cut and sanded screen

OH Boy was I pleased with myself at this stage. :cheer:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FITTING A TRIM

OK the next step is to tidy up the edge with a bit of trim.

I actually begged this from my dealership. They had a bit hanging around and gave me it for free.....RESULT

It can be a bit tricky to fit at the very edges of the screen where it is a bit thicker, you may even need to glue it..maybe.

Another tip is to drop the trim into boiling water for 10 seconds, it makes fitting easier.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SIDE VIEW

Self explanatory.

The screen has kept a great 3 sided profile on the top edge. I did not plan it, it just happens.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FRONT VIEW

This is the front view and end result.

I am really pleased with the look, especially as it has cost me absolutely nothing. I started off with a stock screen sat on a shelf for months and now I have an original new screen.

Not everyone may like it but at least you can see what can be done.

TEST RESULT......

The aim of the excersice was to get rid of turbulance and have a smoother ride...did it work????

It works 100%...I rode this down the highway at 180KPH...thats over 100 miles an hour in real money..the turbulance has TOTALLY gone. Turn your head 90% to the left or right and there is no turbulance either. If you lay on the tank you can still see over the screen.

The wind pressure even at 180kph is not excessive and it feels like a real motorbike ride...I was so thrilled with the result.

If you like the look give it a go you will love the result and don`t be afraid just be gentle whilst doing it.

Steve

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write-up! :thumbup: If I ever get the time (and the b@IIs), might have to try that with mine too!

Hmm... wonder if this post would qualify as a Sticky, or something?

Thanks again! :cheer:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Troubl..I will not be able to say this enough times...It is easy...and I am useless at this type of this.

Just be gentle with it.

Steve

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
this is THE windiest bike i have ever ridden. i thought about doing this because the turbulence is so bad, cant hear anything but the wind. thanks

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Puig DB on my 07 and I was thinking of going back to the stock windscreen. I really haven't noticed much of a difference between the two. Great write up! Thanks!

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve

You are my hero! I've been thinking of doing this for weeks but just didn't have the guts to cut the screen (no Puig back-up here). I had ridden the bike for several days with the screen off and liked th results, as you said, no more turbulence under the helmet.

I have a couple over scheduled weekends so this will probably have to wait a bit but I'm going for it.

Thanks!

kustom17

Reaction score
Visit site
That is awesome. I've been thinking about doing that, but I never saw anything about it. I think the shorter windscreen looks amazing, now all you need is put some shorter mirrors and it'll look perfect. Good Job!