2006 Yamaha FZ6 Forks

Killjoy22

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I am trying to rebuild my FZ6. The bike needs new forks along with several other minor/cosmetic parts, but I was wondering what forks would fit this bike. I have heard R6 forks can be used but is there anything needed to go along with that switch or do they fit right on..? Or would it be better just to go with original FZ6 forks. Any suggestions would be greaT! :rockon:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing that is plug-n-play are FZ6 forks. With that said, with the right budget and skill sets, anything is possible.

What is your budget and what are your skill set?

Killjoy22

Reaction score
Visit site
Backyard mechanic at best, although i do figure things out one way or another. lol. This is the first motorcycle ive done work on. The bike was wrecked, I removed both forks, and have several parts left over that are still good, I wasnt sure if there is a good place to order individual parts for it , i.e. seals, spring, and things like that, or if it would have been more worth it to get a whole new set. What does it take to install forks from other models..?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 forks from '98 to '04 will fit the triple clamps as they were the same conventional 43mm design. The advantage of R6 forks is that they are cartridge forks and also have adjustments for compression and rebound. They are technically superior to the damping rod design used on the FZ6. I believe that '03-'04 are the most sought after R6 forks.

You will have to have spacers machined to properly locate the front wheel. I also believe that mounting of the front fender requires that a bracket be fabricated. All of this is well documented in the Performance Upgrade forum.

I'm using FZ6 forks that have been modified with Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators. I too have adjustable preload, compression and rebound, but compression and rebound are internally adjusted versus the external "clickers" found on cartridge forks.

Are your current forks bent? Do you need new upper tubes? What parts are you in need of, perhaps we can guide you to a good source (other than OEM, which I suggest ronayers.com).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to find some 07-09 stock forks with the better calipers for cheap. As noted above, the swap is popular (but somewhat intensive).

I also have the stock forks but added air to the forks for adjustability, works great and a very cheap mod: