2007 Stolen, Electrical Problems

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
Had a pretty bad week last week and had my beloved 2007 FZ6 stolen but recovered last week. Some homeless folks cut the main ingition switch harness and tried to joy ride but couldnt get it going and gave up... not before they replaced my battery with an incorrect hunk of junk and spray painted her purple :(

Anyways, I want to see if I can get it running again but am worried the ECU might be fried and if thats the case, I cant really sink any more money in it.

So where I'm at now, I spliced all the ignition wires back together and she come on electrically. Fuel primes and everything. Neutral light does not show when it should. Does not crank with clutch in. Fuse on top of battery blown and replaced with 15A.

Thought maybe the neutral switch was bad so I jumped the connection under the tank. Neutral light comes on and cranks but no fire.

Is there any way to check if the ECU is fried? If thats the case, Im not sure what to do but I'll sure be out of a lot of money..

Thanks for the help and advice ahead of time!

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Did forget to mention that I accessed the diagnostic mode and got codes 19 and 30.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty solid confirmation that the ECU is done then? Would the neutral light issue have anything to do with it? I find that odd because I never had an issue with that before and I know they didn;t get it started to damage it at all.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty solid confirmation that the ECU is done then? Would the neutral light issue have anything to do with it? I find that odd because I never had an issue with that before and I know they didn;t get it started to damage it at all.
Higher probability the the starter cut off relay assembly was damaged. About 34 bucks...��

Last edited:

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
How could I check that relay? And I can get the bike the crank if I short out the neutral signal, not sure if that would come into play. I suppose that relay could have been fried when attempting to hotwire right? That would be really great if it wasnt the ECU!

BTW [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION], love the Day the Earth Stood Still reference in your sig, need to watch that one again soon!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How could I check that relay? And I can get the bike the crank if I short out the neutral signal, not sure if that would come into play. I suppose that relay could have been fried when attempting to hotwire right? That would be really great if it wasnt the ECU!

BTW [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION], love the Day the Earth Stood Still reference in your sig, need to watch that one again soon!

Klaatu barada nikto!

Yes ,Generally, in most cases, the starting cut out relay assembly is damaged when the ignition switch harness wires are shorted. This unit is comprised of diodes and 2 internal relays. One relay for the starter control and one relay for the fuel injection. There are diodes wired for logic that look at the neutral safety switch, side stand and clutch switch to create the safety logic for starting and shutting down or interruption of the engine running, if the side stand is put down while the bike is in gear.

Here's a link. #24 onb the parts fiche. https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b8df8700209bc794141/electrical-2

Relay Assy (5Vk-30)
5VK-81950-30-00

This unit is the same in the S1 or S2 FZ6

All the best from Klaatu and Gort!

Last edited:

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff! I'll pull that assembly tonight and see if I can get the relay to switch and get another one on order. Much appreciated! I will check back when I have some info.

"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity."

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That unit is a potted sealed unit. I'm pretty sure the diodes are gone. For the price and high percentage failure during a theft it's worth a new one.. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"It isn't faith that makes good science, Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity."

"It isn't faith that makes good science Mr. Klaatu, it's curiosity. Sit down, please. There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you."

One of the greatest sci fi movies ever! I believe we are getting close.......

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
That really sucks. I'd be fired up to track that fool down. My 07 FZ6 was stolen TWICE before I got it - so far no more takers. You look at the bike and you can see the attraction.
Hope you get good advice on the relay damage etc. I use a heavy chain and armored padlock, and try to park next to more expensive and newer bikes in town.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On page 8-73 of the 2007 FZ6 Service manual is the forward reverse continuity test to determine if one of the diodes have been compromised. There are a total of 9 diodes in this relay module, 7 of which comprise the logic flow for safety functions.

Reconfirm all of the fuses are good, make sure the kill switch is on. If you have no pump prime when you turn the key on. Your highest probability is the relay assembly I've mentioned previously in this thread. Of course without actually testing the unit for it's continuity specs. there is always that possibility something else or more is preventing the function. One obvious tell tale is loss of the neutral safety light. This NSL voltage passes through the diodes in the starting interrupt cut-off relay assembly. As well, if the bike were in neutral or the clutch switch is activated the bike might logically start with the clutch pulled in if the neutral safety switch was not working.

Also when ever that ignition harness is cut, as well as other electrical components, be sure that you remove the negative lead on the battery before reconnecting your compromised wiring or component. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did forget to mention that I accessed the diagnostic mode and got codes 19 and 30.

19 The ecu is not seeing starter activation the the starter button is active..... The starting circuit cut off relay is not activating the starter relay.

30 The lean angle (tip over) switch is not mounted correctly. This may have been a leftover code. Check the lean angle switch is mounted and plugged in.

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
On page 8-73 of the 2007 FZ6 Service manual is the forward reverse continuity test to determine if one of the diodes have been compromised. There are a total of 9 diodes in this relay module, 7 of which comprise the logic flow for safety functions.

)

This is good to know. I already have a new (used) module on order but I can check this weekend if I get some time to see if its really the culprit. But it sounds like you've seen this before and based on what I understand the module does, it seems to make sense.
[MENTION=28798]RPF[/MENTION] its funny, I had my DR650 parked right next to it under a cover. When I came out that morning, the FZ was gone and the cover was off the DR but it was totally left alone. I suppose they saw the 2 bikes, and took the prettier and faster looking one! :p
I just installed a security camera watching over the bikes and my truck so I dare them to come back!

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] just got the module today. Plugged it in and....no change. Neutral light still not there and no crank. Not sure what this means... any advice?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked all fuses? The light green wire going into the starting circuit cut off relay should show positive voltage with the key on.
Pull each fuse and test with your DVM.
Is your kill switch in the on position?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also re read your 1st post on this and noticed you replaced the fuse on top of the battery which should be the main fuse with a 15 amp fuse. I believe you are referencing the main fuse which should be a 30 amp fuse.