2009 fz6 s2 headlight problem

Ben moss

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been having a intermittent fault with the headlight on my fz6.

So, was riding down the road and the headlight (not full beam) kept turning off and back on. Took it back to the garage and they found evidence of arcing across the 'spade' connectors on the plug of the lamp. They replaced the plug and there wasn't a problem for about a month.

So, a month later the bulb blew so I took it straight back to them and they replaced it and sent me on my way after checking the output from the battery was within normal operating levels. No problem but better to be safe than sorry.

Two weeks after they replaced the bulb, so around a month and a half after the initial problem, I noticed the light was severely dimming when accelerating. So I decided to take the bike back to the garage first thing in the morning but on the way, about two miles away from my house I noticed the headlight had cut off. I immediately switched to my full beam and about another mile down the road that died too!

The bike has been with the garage for 5 days now. They can't find a fault (except two blown bulbs). any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The garage have checked the output from the battery, fuses, relays, grounding points and for cuts in any of the wiring looms and it all seams 'normal' to them.

Thanks for your time.

Ben

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum Ben!
Is your bike a OEM naked bike? Some bikes have been converted to a naked version from the fairing version. If the latter is the case, the switching for the single headlight may not be properly modified and if this is the case the lamp is probably being overheated. Let us know if that is the case so we can help.
Here's a link with some info regarding this. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...relay.html?highlight=universal+headlamp+relay
Since this is a recurring syndrome with evidence of burned connectors it sort of points in the overheating direction.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a diagram looking at the back of your H4 lamp plug. The low beam will show voltage and high beam will show no voltage. When the high beam is active the low beam should show no voltage. If this is not the case and the low beam wire still shows voltage when the high beam is active your lamp is overheating and will continue to fail and burn the connectors.
160770d1368233850-vy-25th-anniversary-hid-h4-1-problems-socket_wiring_diagram.jpg

Ben moss

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

The bike is the original 2009 fz6 s2 model. Because the light was dimming severely when accelerating I thought this might point more towards a power distribution problem ie the alternator / generator?? But strange that the rear light wasn't cutting out... I assume they run on the same system.

Ben moss

Reaction score
Visit site
The diagram you've sent is what they replaced the first time. The evidence of arcing was across the low beam spade terminal. I'll have to double check with them tomorrow if they have carried out this test. But very useful information. Again, thank you very much

Ben

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I missed something, but do you have TWO separate headlights/ len's, etc, OR ONE entire assembly with ONE bulb total on the bike?

If TWO separate headlight bulbs, is ONE low beam and the other ONLY HIGH BEAM (when the lights/bike is on) or has the bike/harness been modified?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

The bike is the original 2009 fz6 s2 model. Because the light was dimming severely when accelerating I thought this might point more towards a power distribution problem ie the alternator / generator?? But strange that the rear light wasn't cutting out... I assume they run on the same system.

Ben,
Is your bike a naked, single headlight model? Is it an OEM headlight or was is a single headlight assembly that was done from a bike that at one time had a fairing with 2 headlights?

The s2 means the bike is a 2007 to 2009 model but doesn't tell us it's a naked version. This is important in helping us understand your problem because of switching differences for the headlights in the different models and how it might relate to your problem.

If you do have a single H4 type lamp and the shop tests to confirm the switching I posted about earlier in the thread, it will tell us regardless whether this is the problem.

Last edited: