2009 Mileage Contest Suggestions

2009 Contest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So with the 2008 contest over and what seemed to be a pretty good success, plans are being made for the 2009 contest. A few options have been thrown out but really its up to you guys/gals has to how it should be run.

Option 1: Keep it as it was last year.
Have two classes, Weekend Warrior and Commuter. Have it only last through the normal riding season.

Option 2: Same but different.
Same two classes, but make it last year round. Jan 01, to Dec 31.

Option 3: Season and Year-Round classes.
Seasonal riders, contest starts from month A and lasts til' month B. Need help deciding what month A and month B are. Year-round ppl will start Jan 01 and end Dec 31.

Option 4: Anything else creative you can come up with... Post it up and lets talk about it. We have about a month to figure all this out, so lets get to it!

-bryan

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinkin maybe keep the same time period but add a nother class for people that use there bikes as their primary transport . I think keeping it to the riding sesson is something that should stay for the benifit if the people that live farther north .

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think general seasonal vs year round rider is the most fair way to do it. whether someone uses it as their primary transport or not is their choice, and the point of this contest is to inspire people to try to ride more.

Breaking it out bu seasonal vs year round takes into account the limiting factors that are not a choice (beyond where to live). Snow and ice would be a bad way to ride.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Sign me up for '09.. however you care to run it. I voted for "get creative," but it really doesn't matter to me.

I ride all year. Commuting and joy riding. Rain, shine, crap, cold... whatever.

Looking forward to it!!! :rockon:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make a poll and find out when we start and stop riding. That would be a starting point.

We could even have it on how many miles you ride in a 5 month period and leave which months up to each individual rider. As it is the dates are specified.

Steve

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think we should do something for the overall most miles/1 year. It would be to hard to distinguish between commuter and weekend warrior, because what if a weekend warrior rode into work? Then they'd just be a half-butt commuter.

Lets see who can ride the most miles, with the smallest cost. AND the most miles with the highest cost. (cost per mile) The person who rides with the lowest cost/mile could get like the Budget Biker award. The person who rides with the highest cost/mile could get like the High Roller award. So, in theory you really won't have to ride many miles to compete, but that really wouldn't be fair since it is a mileage contest, so there should be a minimum requirement of like 3000 miles/5000km or something to compete.

This way, we could see the true cost of ownership over one year, and see the differences between cost for riding styles (commuting, weekend warrior, track riders, etc.).

Things to include in the cost part of this analysis would be things that everyone has to have, fuel (you can easily get a reciept at every fill), maintenance (oil changes, chain products, cleaning products, fluids), wear parts (brake pads, tires, chain/sprockets, and I think spark plugs should be in this category and probably air filters), and then accessories (gps, exhaust, custom parts, etc.).

So there would be a total of 3 awards, Most Miles Overall 1 year, Budget Biker 1 year, and High Roller 1 year. Maybe it would be interesting?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I think we should do something for the overall most miles/1 year. It would be to hard to distinguish between commuter and weekend warrior, because what if a weekend warrior rode into work? Then they'd just be a half-butt commuter.

Lets see who can ride the most miles, with the smallest cost. AND the most miles with the highest cost. (cost per mile) The person who rides with the lowest cost/mile could get like the Budget Biker award. The person who rides with the highest cost/mile could get like the High Roller award. So, in theory you really won't have to ride many miles to compete, but that really wouldn't be fair since it is a mileage contest, so there should be a minimum requirement of like 3000 miles/5000km or something to compete.

This way, we could see the true cost of ownership over one year, and see the differences between cost for riding styles (commuting, weekend warrior, track riders, etc.).

Things to include in the cost part of this analysis would be things that everyone has to have, fuel (you can easily get a reciept at every fill), maintenance (oil changes, chain products, cleaning products, fluids), wear parts (brake pads, tires, chain/sprockets, and I think spark plugs should be in this category and probably air filters), and then accessories (gps, exhaust, custom parts, etc.).

So there would be a total of 3 awards, Most Miles Overall 1 year, Budget Biker 1 year, and High Roller 1 year. Maybe it would be interesting?

That would be awsome, and a great idea, however that would take alot of work to keep up with.

-bryan

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Only thing to keep in mind is the riding season. Where I live, I get 6-10 months normally of riding depending on the weather. It won't ever be a full 12, and I have had it as low as 4 months.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be awsome, and a great idea, however that would take alot of work to keep up with.

-bryan

+ 1, A lot of work for Bryan. Keep it simple, as we will probably have a lot more entries this time around meaning more work.

Seasonal vs year round will be the fairest.

For the seasonal rider, maybe 6 months of riding and throwing out the other 6 months. Since weather will be the primary reason, let the riders choose when their riding season begins, as their geographical / latitude location will be determining when their riding season begins.

If there is going to be any type of award or wager, there should be two first place prizes, one for each category. Also maybe an award for the highest mileage recorded in one month too.

I'm all for ponying up $20 or some other figure and putting it into some type of mileage pool for the awards, gift or wager.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been working on something for prizes... we will see where it goes.

I believe we will end up with year and seasonal deal.

Now we just have to pin down the details with the seasonal time period.

-bryan

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Option 3: Season and Year-Round classes.
Seasonal riders, contest starts from month A and lasts til' month B. Need help deciding what month A and month B are. Year-round ppl will start Jan 01 and end Dec 31.

Bryan, I voted for "seasonal" and "year-round" categories. :thumbup:

What constitutes a "season" is always a topic of debate at the BMW MOA forum each year. Their mileage contest runs April 15 to Oct 15. While those who live in the north are happy with this, those of us who live in the deep south and southwest end up with somewhat less than a 6 months' contest. Here in Houston it's too hot to ride in July and Aug, even well into Sept. Those who commute on 2-wheels often park the bike and use the cage during that period. It's really hard for me to get on a motorcycle during those months unless I have a trip planned that takes me a couple of states north of TX. Which, come to think of it, isn't such a bad idea....:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For those of us in the Southern Hemisphere, we Can ride around all year, but the primary riding season is definitely summer, so in this case, our seasons are reversed.....i would like to see year round.

:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so that all works.

Obviously we wont be able to make everyone happy with the months for the seasonal guys/gals. So we are going to have to come up with a comprimise (spelling)

I know that I personally will probably find myself getting some shorter day trips in around oh late feb, early march and wont really start getting up early and riding late till around April.

For me, and this is Mid south region, I will be riding between March and Late Oct.

Lets pin point some actually month ranges, give me hand full to start a pole with.

-bryan

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so that all works.

Obviously we wont be able to make everyone happy with the months for the seasonal guys/gals. So we are going to have to come up with a comprimise (spelling)

I know that I personally will probably find myself getting some shorter day trips in around oh late feb, early march and wont really start getting up early and riding late till around April.

For me, and this is Mid south region, I will be riding between March and Late Oct.

Lets pin point some actually month ranges, give me hand full to start a pole with.

-bryan

Being a little further north than you, I would probably just move the starting month to April and leave the ending at October. March tends to be really nasty here.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

-bryan

Yea, but it would be really cool if someone actually kept track and figured it all out. I suppose for someone who uses plastic for everything, it would be really easy, but IDK.

I just figured I'd throw in an idea! I didn't even know how it would turn out when I started typing it...