• Poll closed .

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan, I voted for \\"seasonal\\" and \\"year-round\\" categories. :thumbup:

What constitutes a \\"season\\" is always a topic of debate at the BMW MOA forum each year. Their mileage contest runs April 15 to Oct 15. While those who live in the north are happy with this, those of us who live in the deep south and southwest end up with somewhat less than a 6 months' contest. Here in Houston it's too hot to ride in July and Aug, even well into Sept.

There is no such thing as "too hot to ride" as I live in Las Vegas and have ridden with full gear in 115 plus degrees. Yes, the sun is so powerful that you need a dark tinted visor to keep your face from scorching, and you can litterally feel your pants scorch as well sitting at a red light. You also sweat like a pig, but I still ride with full gear. Samething as there is no such thing as "too cold to ride" as you can always bundle up.

But who sais that someone who lives in the sunbelt has to be grouped into the year round category. You either ride year round or you don't.

If your seasonal, you should be able to choose when to start your riding season, as long as the start and end are in consecutive months for the number of months that is ever decided. I think 6 months would be a good number for the seasonal riders, 1/2 of what the year round riders would be. So one seasonal rider may start at the beginning of March, and another may start their season at the beggininng of May. But they would both log six consecutive months.

So in Agmom's case, you could start your seasonal riding season on Jan 1 and log thru June, then you're done.

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
.. you can litterally feel your pants scorch as well sitting at a red light. You also sweat like a pig, but I still ride with full gear.

Isn't that the truth!! Add to that 97-98% humidity, such as we get here in Houston. I mentioned it since those who put most of their miles on as a commuter drive a cage so s not to arrive at work all hot and sweaty with nowhere to take a shower before changing into business clothes.

But who sais that someone who lives in the sunbelt has to be grouped into the year round category. You either ride year round or you don't.

You're right. Having "seasonal" and "year-round" categories would give both groups a choice.

So one seasonal rider may start at the beginning of March, and another may start their season at the beggininng of May. But they would both log six consecutive months.

Great idea!

So in Agmom's case, you could start your seasonal riding season on Jan 1 and log thru June, then you're done.

Not me; I'll enter the "year-round" category, since I ride year-round and typically log 35,000-40,000 miles a year and am not a commuter (I'm retired).

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not me; I'll enter the \"year-round\" category, since I ride year-round and typically log 35,000-40,000 miles a year and am not a commuter (I'm retired).

What's the point of having a mileage contest? You have everyone spanked! We will be having a contest for 2nd place.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
What's the point of having a mileage contest? You have everyone spanked! We will be having a contest for 2nd place.

Not to worry! Most of those miles will be clocked on my BMW, not the FZ. I only enter my FZ miles into the FZ contest. :noworries: :Sport:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
agmom98

We have other members on here with other bikes that they post miles on. But in your case, it would be nice if you only post the miles to the FZ. You would dominate everyone with the BMW.

I will work on an "application sheet" for the mileage contest later on this evening. Basicly, just getting your name, starting mileage, bike info and class info.

We will be going with the seasonal and year around, with the seasonals picking their time span.

-bryan

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
agmom98
in your case, it would be nice if you only post the miles to the FZ. You would dominate everyone with the BMW.

Not a problem, Bryan. That is my intention.

Just got the last of the mods done to the brand new BMW and will be taking her on her first long trip next week. The FZ had a great romp this past summer when there was no BMW in the garage to compete with for my riding attention. But now there's a new BMW out there calling to me. :D :D :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
agmom98

We have other members on here with other bikes that they post miles on. But in your case, it would be nice if you only post the miles to the FZ. You would dominate everyone with the BMW.

I will work on an \"application sheet\" for the mileage contest later on this evening. Basicly, just getting your name, starting mileage, bike info and class info.

We will be going with the seasonal and year around, with the seasonals picking their time span.

-bryan

I agree with Agmom and Bryan, mileage accrued should only be for one bike, preferably on the FZ6. But if you happen to own something else, that's fine, but keep track of the miles for only that bike. In other words, no mix and match, combining miles with other bikes.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
i say that we should get a little friendly competition between countries. Lets say take U.S. vs Canada vs europe vs Aus. Maybe the top 3-5 will go into the total.

Whoever wins we can brag not that they are the better country, but they like to ride more!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i say that we should get a little friendly competition between countries. Lets say take U.S. vs Canada vs europe vs Aus. Maybe the top 3-5 will go into the total.

Whoever wins we can brag not that they are the better country, but they like to ride more!

Probably won't work just because the geographical differences creates a dramatic change in terms of climate, especially for the Canadians in terms of their latitude. However, side bets with some other member could be a possibility. So do you want to bet Nick?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny, I agree with the statement about "never too hot to ride" but not with the opposite. It can be and is too cold to ride. Several factors some into play such as the amount of gear you wear to remain warm. Sure, you can get all the electric stuff but the FZ6 doesn't have the charging capacity to run it all. You have problems with visor fogging and when cold enough, actual icing. But, the two things you cannot ever overcome is snow and ice/black ice. It is there that the line is drawn and riding beomes a death wish/suicide trip. ;) I suppose we could try some studded tires. That might overcome this adversary of biking. :thumbup:

Anyone got a line on a larger charging system for the FZ6? How about some old treads you pulled off that have life left in them? :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny, I agree with the statement about \"never too hot to ride\" but not with the opposite. It can be and is too cold to ride. Several factors some into play such as the amount of gear you wear to remain warm. Sure, you can get all the electric stuff but the FZ6 doesn't have the charging capacity to run it all. You have problems with visor fogging and when cold enough, actual icing. But, the two things you cannot ever overcome is snow and ice/black ice. It is there that the line is drawn and riding beomes a death wish/suicide trip. ;) I suppose we could try some studded tires. That might overcome this adversary of biking. :thumbup:

Anyone got a line on a larger charging system for the FZ6? How about some old treads you pulled off that have life left in them? :D

I was meaning temperture wise, not the actual conditions of the road. If there is snow and ice, I agree, then it's pretty much suicidal and not advised to ride. However, if it's clear, sunny and brutally cold, you could still ride. But you do have a good point about the limited amount of electrical charge that we have on our FZ6. The reason I said it's not too cold to ride is because I keep visualising my Aerostich catalogue I receive every year showing pictures of the riders all bundled up riding in just ridiculous winter weather. Not sure if you get the issue in the mail, but I bet you do.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was meaning temperture wise, not the actual conditions of the road. If there is snow and ice, I agree, then it's pretty much suicidal and not advised to ride. However, if it's clear, sunny and brutally cold, you could still ride. But you do have a good point about the limited amount of electrical charge that we have on our FZ6. The reason I said it's not too cold to ride is because I keep visualising my Aerostich catalogue I receive every year showing pictures of the riders all bundled up riding in just ridiculous winter weather. Not sure if you get the issue in the mail, but I bet you do.

Believe it or not, I had not heard of Aerostich. A quick google search has now given me another place to to shop! :D

But really - I do agree with FZ6inNH - I have found that more layers for the cold also limits your range of motion and you feel like the Pilsbury Doughboy on your bike. Still fun though!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
How about this:

When you enter you state how many months you drive in the year (eg. 9 months). At the end of your season you then repport your milage, and 2 winners are found: One for overall milage, and one for Average Milage pr. month.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The winner in seasonal will be the rider with most miles per month since the number of monthes are held constant, so that wont quite work.

I think we will stick with the year round and seasonal deal. I will close the poll an start working on the application now. Thanks for everyone's help!

Look for an anouncment on the forum soon with all the details needed.

Thanks

-bryan