'86 FZ600 choke help...

sevenhills1952

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted a month or so ago about my 1986 FZ600, 1800 miles, bought new. I rode it 1 year the parked in garage after draining fuel tank. Carbs were a mess so I rebuilt them, soaked, clean, lube, blew passages 150psi air. Everything works smoothly except choke. I have to spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner into air box to get it running. Only about 10 miles since rebuild, I tried various additives...no help.
I have them back off the bike but can't figure out how choke passages work. All looks clean but apparently stopped up somewhere.
I only put 90 octane 100% gas in it, but there's jelly stuff in float bowl. Is that the additives I added? Main thing is how do I fix choke problem?
Sitting overnight when I choke it, it sputters a little but that's it, then spray and I can ride it. Once fully warm it restarts perfectly.
Thanks!
2c74887afd60eb0e4142ebca2957d08c.jpg
f2d6e0a099c3365a6a09ac997fc2a112.jpg
9ad92689ae0c6e3b3b52a12a4af91ef8.jpg
98f600848f3303bcf5d358cedc051d82.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen Stabil goo up and cause issues (IMO, junk). "Gas Shok" (very popular in the marine world and I run in ALL my gas machines) works really good, up to TWO YEARS, IME.

Looking at your pics, did you pull out ALL the jets, clean and visually look to make sure you can SEE LIGHT THRU ALL THE JETS?
(The one pic looks a bit corroded).

In any event, to fix your choke issue, I'm sure you found the "choke plungers" (that pull out when you activate the choke lever).

When that plunger is opened, it opens an orifice in the carb body allowing extra fuel to be sucked into the engine (choke).

Remove each plunger and peek in the hole. Carb cleaner (at least) will be needed. When sprayed into the body orifice, and when it's CLEAN, it'll shoot out in the throttle bore itself (providing choke).

Right now, you pull the plunger open, but the orifices are clogged...

If it's really bad and you can't get it clean, a sonic cleaner may be necessary to clean it fully.

A couple months ago, a customer brought me a Kawasaki (230cc?) carb. The bike wouldn't start cold (same as yours).
You could follow/see, how the orifice went back and forth (MANY TIMES :( ) thru the carb body just by looking at the outside of the carb.

The opening at the lower end (in the bowl) had an EXREMLY small opening that was clogged along with the rest of that zig zag orifice. Took awhile but finally got it clean. Carb cleaner NOW came out the other end when sprayed into the upper orifice.

Please post back what you find..

sevenhills1952

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen Stabil goo up and cause issues (IMO, junk). "Gas Shok" (very popular in the marine world and I run in ALL my gas machines) works really good, up to TWO YEARS, IME.

Looking at your pics, did you pull out ALL the jets, clean and visually look to make sure you can SEE LIGHT THRU ALL THE JETS?
(The one pic looks a bit corroded).

In any event, to fix your choke issue, I'm sure you found the "choke plungers" (that pull out when you activate the choke lever).

When that plunger is opened, it opens an orifice in the carb body allowing extra fuel to be sucked into the engine (choke).

Remove each plunger and peek in the hole. Carb cleaner (at least) will be needed. When sprayed into the body orifice, and when it's CLEAN, it'll shoot out in the throttle bore itself (providing choke).

Right now, you pull the plunger open, but the orifices are clogged...

If it's really bad and you can't get it clean, a sonic cleaner may be necessary to clean it fully.

A couple months ago, a customer brought me a Kawasaki (230cc?) carb. The bike wouldn't start cold (same as yours).
You could follow/see, how the orifice went back and forth (MANY TIMES :( ) thru the carb body just by looking at the outside of the carb.

The opening at the lower end (in the bowl) had an EXREMLY small opening that was clogged along with the rest of that zig zag orifice. Took awhile but finally got it clean. Carb cleaner NOW came out the other end when sprayed into the upper orifice.

Please post back what you find..
Thanks so much. I'll try all those things.
With choke plunger out I couldn't get a carb wire through, zig zag passage was what I was afraid of. I have an ultrasonic cleaner with heat but haven't tried it. What the best cleaner for that? The jets that looked removable I did take out, after cleaning were ok. I'll try sonic cleaner once I know what to use and how long. Thanks again.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use no more than a 50/50 mix of "Simple Green" and water. You can even use less.

You don't need it super hot either.

Should you run it thru a couple times, the aluminum body will look faded. Some brake o carb cleaner with a brush will remove most of that
(with that said, most of my cleaning is with FILTERED, SG. Using fresh SG, you may not have that issue.

But once those zig zag orifices are clear you should be good. You can let them soak over night W/O any problems.

sevenhills1952

Reaction score
Visit site
I use no more than a 50/50 mix of "Simple Green" and water. You can even use less.

You don't need it super hot either.

Should you run it thru a couple times, the aluminum body will look faded. Some brake o carb cleaner with a brush will remove most of that
(with that said, most of my cleaning is with FILTERED, SG. Using fresh SG, you may not have that issue.

But once those zig zag orifices are clear you should be good. You can let them soak over night W/O any problems.
Thanks so much. I'm doing that no, I'll go through a few cycles with heat, let it soak, then a few more. Then wash, blow out with carb cleaner and air. I guess that's it?
a5d5e263a4fae8ee832aa5df45e5a6e1.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper. Just double check with brake cleaner that when blowing thru the choke orifice, the cleaner DOES COME OUT elsewhere..

If it doesn't, it's still clogged. They do make carb cleaner that you soak the carb in (disassembled) however, I was able to get that Kawi carb choke orifice (and it was a b...h!) clean with what your doing....

Don't think I mentioned but I also used a jet cleaning tool.. Their available super cheap, very fine(different sizes) but of course, they ONLY reach the first hole till it turns....

This is exactly what I use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Jet-C...ash=item211e71c626:g:RLYAAOSw0vBUi4bi&vxp=mtr

Paid for itself MANY times over...

Last edited: