A lesson in economics.....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the value of your bike?

What I mean of course is how much is it worth to you?

I almost sold my 9 year old FZ6 today. Having brought a second car for the first time in my adult life the FZ6 was not getting used much and for the sake of economy I decided that it was going to go. So I advertised it this morning at a fair price and had nine calls fairly quickly.
Everyone of the people I spoke to was after a mint condition , low mileage machine.
Let's be realistic, a nine year old daily commuter is going to have one or two stories to tell.
After walking around the bike and doing an honest assessment, I could see that the things I see as character would be a turn off for other people. It's got some scratches, the grab rail is worn from my luggage. The bar ends are scuffed etc.
I felt that my bike was worth more to me than the people bidding on it. I really couldn't be arsed trying to explain to someone that my bike was actually a bike of engineering genius and a reliable work horse.
I have ridden it on several decent road trips, through six really bad winters, one in which (2010) saw
me riding in -11C. All I have had to do with it is put oil in, change the tyres and maintain the brakes.
It has had a few mechanical issues:
Cam chain tensioner (fixed by Yamaha under warranty)
And an iffy kill switch (fixed by FZ6 forum thread)
Warped rear brake disc. (fixed by FZ6 forum thread).

I have realised that I have taken much more out ownership of this great bike than I have had to put in.
So in my mind out makes it priceless.

Nelly

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really value the bike all that highly, tbh. I've never actually owned a lemon vehicle though, so maybe I don't appreciate having things that work. Or maybe I just don't buy things that don't work. Either way, it's a given that I will make what I own work or it won't be mine long.

Honestly, most of us probably overvalue our bikes. I've dealt with quite a few clowns that were looking for a new bike at a dogged bike price. I've also discovered over the years that simply changing the oil, maintaining the brakes, and changing the tires is considered pretty extensive maintenance in Indiana. 90% of the goons that come by to kick tires could barely point to the brake calipers if you pressed them but want to be assured that the maintenance was kept up perfectly. These are the same guys that roll up in a rusty 1992 F150 dripping oil and brake fluid all over the road, lowballing your vehicle because it's "not up to their maintenance standards". I think it's more to the point that because they know that they are going to thrash whatever they buy - they aren't willing to pay for a bike that someone has maintained. That and most people are liars - so why take the chance trusting them?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Everybody wants a deal (hell I was haggling with the guy who sold me my bike), and people will try to negotiate. I've come to terms with the fact that I value my bike way more than it's actually worth. I mean hell, it's my first bike, I've done hours of work to it already, and I'm doing a naked conversion to suit my liking. No one in the right mind would pay what I think is fair for the bike, so my plan is to never sell it. :thup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I value my bike much more than it's worth, only because it's my only source of transportation. I live alone so I can't rely on other people to give me rides, unless it's a real emergency or planned ahead of time.

I don't think I would get much value selling it once I replace it as my primary bike, so I'm just going to keep it as a back up. How many riders are willing to buy a bike with over 100k miles on the clock. Or is it really worth it for me to sell it for $1000 USD or less? I'll just keep it. But again, I have to be very careful not to put too much money into it as well in the event there is some type of failure.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same boat here (except its not a boat). My '07 only has 27K miles, no visible wear, and I ride the beemer most of the time; but, that li'l sh*t is FUN and I can't quite part with her.
Same story with my '01 Saab 9-3 Convertible. Kelly BlueBallz quotes a trade-in value of $1,700 (!!) but she runs like a champ and the only visible wear is my front seats upholstery (new upholstery sched. next week! :rockon:) My first Saab had 230,000 miles and was destroyed by a drunk indian, my 9-3 only has 120K so she'll probably outlast me.
"Old Reliables" rawk! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed with all the posts above and I feel the same way. My bike is worth way more to me than what a book says or what the average price is (as the bike is kept cherry-not used for commuting).

You have to keep to mind, that just the MPG's (over a cage) the bike gets, over time, will pay a good part for itself. Mine saves me a bunch over the cage (in fuel) and being a mid sized bike, tires last WAY LONGER than liter plus bikes.

When looking at a 2014 FJR (new), for S&G's, I asked trade in value of my FZ. Of course, they low ball you (no matter what the condition) and then add a substantial $ amount for re-sale...Of course they have to make $ however their, at least down here, hammering you on the new bike with all kinds of add on $ fee's..

With that said, when I sold my 04 FJR a couple of years ago, (cherry condition, 9 k miles), it took me about 1.5 years (wasn't in a hurry) but sold it loaded, to a buyer who appreciated the condition of the machine and I got considerably more than book value in the sale. More so than a 3-4 year NEWER machine.

And lastly, I will ALWAYS have at least ONE bike in the garage. I'd sell the cage before I'd give up motorcycling.

I enjoy riding too much to give it up.

Last edited:

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
(Sorry, kind of long)

I see me keeping mine for a long time.. I haven't ridden for about 20 years and really wanted a bike but my wife wouldn't let me (yeah I know, ball in purse - yadda yadda :spank: )

So it came down to me going shooting one day and I was loading up my CMMG M4 LE when she came unglued. Now keep in mind, I have had my guns since before her, so she didn't know what all was in my arsenal. She saw that and asked me if that was an assault rifle.. I said well its never assaulted anyone - lol.. (yep I am a smart-ass). After that she kept on me to get rid of it.. So I said fine, but I want a bike.. She finally conceded and so away I went..

This is right at the time you couldn't find .223 or 5.56 ammunition at all or an "AR' type of rifle. I put on Craigslist "Trade my Toy for your Toy" and put in the listing CMMG M4 LE with 900rds to trade for motorcycle, let me know what you have.. By the next morning my inbox had over 30 bike offers in it. The best one what a 1988 Honda Hawk with only 10k on the clock. Looking around and finding it was only made for 3 years and had a huge cult-like following, I jumped on it.. Met the guy at his house, rode the bike and was just up my alley.. I rode it for a year and decided carburation wasn't for me as I wasn't a mechanic. I started to shop for a new bike, and landed on the FZ6, FZ1 or a FZ6r.. I was determined and put my bike for sale on craigslist and the Hawk forums. Within a couple of days I got an offer for $3300 for my Hawk. SOLD!

Waited a couple days to the weekend and told the guy I would deliver, in the meanwhile, I found my 2008 FZ6 for $3800 not much further away than the buyer of my old bike. So I called him and told him I would come look and had cash in hand.. A couple of things were wrong when I arrived, he put in the listing it was a 2009 and never been laid over. It was a 2008, had been laid over in his driveway, and the battery was dead (had to jump start it) and tires half flat from sitting.. Did I mention it only had 2800 miles on it? So negotiated $3200, and he gave me 3 jackets, 2 helmets, 2 pairs of gloves and a Joe Rocket Manta tank bag.. Which I sold all on craigslist for close to $500.. So I am into the bike for only $2700, a battery and inspection and boom! its paid for, cheap on insurance and I love it.. Is it as fast as my buddies GSX-R 600 or ZX14, nope, but I don't look like an old man when we stop and get off after a long ride.. lol.. (I am 40 years old by the way)

The Hawk I traded a gun for.. On the day I got it..
FB96484D-289F-4B64-8500-0B95ED3CAD35-2918-000001541AFF22A2.jpg

And the FZ6 on the day I got it.. (Just rolled it off the trailer.)
7EE3D798-1C65-48A1-BF2D-6B1EFA3953E2.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The month I made the purchase to get on the street was part of life changing decision for me. And a lot cheaper than the path I was on but cold at night if you catch my drift...

I"ll echo the words; the BB value if doubled couldn't replace my 08. It may look rather plain in appearance but its a great little machine that I enjoy. I'd imagine she'll be in the stable until the day I fail and crash her. Its not cost effective to replace as she's near perfect for my needs as she is. :thumbup:

FWIW: I ride for pleasure and keep the bike well maintained. Hopefully raising the bar on the street value. :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I"ll echo the words; the BB value if doubled couldn't replace my 08. It may look rather plain in appearance but its a great little machine that I enjoy. I'd imagine she'll be in the stable until the day I fail and crash her. Its not cost effective to replace as she's near perfect for my needs as she is. :thumbup:

FWIW: I ride for pleasure and keep the bike well maintained. Hopefully raising the bar on the street value.

+10^^^^:Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the thing isn't it, If I sold the bike I would quite literally been giving up motorcycling. And that means more to me than the cage.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No I didn't sell it. my wife said "What are you doing" "It took you five years to be in a position to get a bike after selling your previous bike". My parents (also bikers) said don't go there.
I'm delighted with the no sale and love the bike all over again.

Last edited: