ABS brake conversion

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I drove to Henry’s Bend PA to spend 4th of July long weekend with my wife and 2 dogs far from the city,
We left late at night and before the house you have to drive almost 40 miles of rural, dark roads, lots of turns and up and down hills, lots of trees right by the edge of the road; Anyways, I’m a slow driver and I was going 10 miles below the limit and even with that I almost hit a deer, my reaction was to step on the brakes as hard as I could. I have 16 years of driving and besides the little fender bender, I have never had a serious accident and I feel that if I was on the bike instead of the car I will be writing the story of how I got in to an accident to avoid the crash with the deer.
Now the question, is it possible to do the brake conversion from the normal breaks to ABS brakes?
Has anyone done it? How, how much, Any thoughts.

Thanks

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Generically speaking, anything is possible. For what it might cost you, though, you could possibly trade in your FZ6 for an ABS equiped bike...Sorry, not really much help...just know that it's possible (and likely costly).

NineseveN

Reaction score
Visit site
There are no bikes (FZ6) with ABS in the USA

Nope, you could look at ABS-equipped BMW's, the Suzuki Bandit 1250ABS, SV650ABS or a Honda VFR 800 ABS to start though. I actually ended up not getting an FZ6 primarily for that reason. Wish they had the ABS models over here.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, you could look at ABS-equipped BMW's. I actually ended up not getting an FZ6 primarily for that reason. Wish they had the ABS models over here.

I am thinking on a F800ST, nice looking bike, whish it had the FZ6 exhaust under the seat but I really like the one side swingarm and the fact that does not have a chain to clean. Ofcurse the abs option too.

What bike did you ended up buying?

NineseveN

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking on a F800ST, nice looking bike, whish it had the FZ6 exhaust under the seat but I really like the one side swingarm and the fact that does not have a chain to clean. Ofcurse the abs option too.

What bike did you ended up buying?

I ended up sticking with a Suzuki SV650 (non-ABS) instead of going out and buying an FZ6. I couldn't find any SV650's with ABS and Suzuki isn't shipping any 2010 models until late in the year. I found plenty of FZ6's, but the SV650 in non-ABS trim is plentiful too (so are mods and parts) and really and other than power that I'll likely never really use on my commute, the FZ6 doesn't really have anything over he spunky little V-twin for me (both fit me extremely well, the FZ costs more, has better riding positon for long durations but that can be fixed on the SV for less than the extra cost of the FZ6). If the FZ6 had ABS, that would have prompted me to jump on one. I still think the FZ6 is one of the best bangs for the buck around.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
you can find a totaled european fz6 abs 07 and up and buy: abs pump, all brake lines, front wheel + sensor, bike's ecu (might not need), bike's main wire loom,abs pump+ecu wires, abs ecu, rear sensor, rear wheel plate and retrofit. tryed it, could not find a totaled abs fz6 for cheap though and then i sold the bike.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
you can find a totaled european fz6 abs 07 and up and buy: abs pump, all brake lines, front wheel + sensor, bike's ecu (might not need), bike's main wire loom,abs pump+ecu wires, abs ecu, rear sensor, rear wheel plate and retrofit. tryed it, could not find a totaled abs fz6 for cheap though and then i sold the bike.

just after reading yours, I felt like, well, start looking for a new bike..!
Other than ABS, it would be stupid in my case to sell it.,
I'm a daily commuter, rain or shine, so, that one time, you have an emergency brake needs to be applied (forget how hard you ride daily, but when the day comes), I don't want to get into trouble.
I want to practice sudden stops couple more times and bleed the brakes.
10k miles with lot of meat on the OEM pads, but 8 yrs fluids, time for flush..!