ABS problem or need brake pads???

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
So, rarely (it start becoming more frequent) my abs light starts blinking while i am driving. when i turn the bike off and on again it goes away.Although the abs light is blinking the abs works fine. By the way i probably need front brake pads cause i can here that annoying screeching noise when braking slightly.
So i asked couple of people and they told me that the abs light comes on cause i need new brake pads and is normal for the abs error to come on. is it true???
If i need new ones what would you recommend.
2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2/abs naked model

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Sorry... I don't have the answer to your question, but you've taught me something new today...I had no idea Yamaha made an FZ6 with ABS. Hope someone can help you out.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing to do with the brake pads (even though they may need replacing as well)... You have an ABS fault... you need to get it checked...

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what it says about the ABS light in the owners manual:

Users manual said:
"ABS warning light“ ” (for ABS
models)
If this warning light comes on or flashes
while riding, the ABS may not work correctly.
If this occurs, have a Yamaha
dealer check the system as soon as
possible. (See page 3-15.)
WARNING
If the ABS warning light comes on or
flashes while riding, the brake system
reverts to conventional braking.
Therefore, be careful not to cause
the wheels to lock during emergency
braking. If the warning light
comes on or flashes while riding,
have a Yamaha dealer check the
brake system as soon as possible.
The electrical circuit of the warning light
can be checked by turning the key to
“ON”.
If the warning light does not come on or
remains on, have a Yamaha dealer
check the electrical circuit."

Users manual page 3-15 said:
ABS (for ABS models)
The Yamaha ABS (Anti-lock Brake
System) features a dual electronic control
system, which acts on the front and
rear brakes independently. The ABS is
monitored by an ECU (Electronic Control
Unit), which will have recourse to
manual braking if a malfunction occurs.
WARNING
The ABS performs best on long
braking distances.
On certain (rough or gravel)
roads, the braking distance may
be longer with than without the
ABS. Therefore, always keep a
sufficient distance to the vehicle
ahead to match the riding
speed.
TIP
When the ABS is activated, the
brakes are operated in the usual
way. A pulsating action may be felt
at the brake lever or brake pedal,
but this does not indicate a malfunction
This ABS has a test mode which
allows the owner to experience the
pulsating at the brake lever or
brake pedal when the ABS is operating.
However, special tools are
required, so please consult your
Yamaha dealer when performing
this test.."

Which is why I find it strange that the ABS still worked fine :confused:

When I had a discharged battery my ABS light came on, you still have normal brakes only no ABS. Once my battery was charged up again everything worked fine. If this is not the case I would have it checked out at the dealer. I agree with Canadian, it would not be caused by your brake pads being worn.

Last edited:

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
The strange thing is that its not always on. The light came up like 3 times in 1.5month time and every time i turned the bike off and on again, the light would go off.

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
By the way where can i find the owners manual on electronic form???

You can find it here

(Link removed BY Moderator)

And it the lamp do come on and off by itself you should take it to a dealer thay can check so everthing is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
OK did some checks and here is what it worries me now. Ofcourse ill call my mechanic to check it up but here is what happens. I noticed that it idle, the rpms are not stable. This doesnt worry me cause my friends cb600 does the same thing after some hard use of the bike (that we did yesterday). What worries me is that the bike has a tentency to choke at very low rpm. When accelerating if i dont rev more than 2k rpm the bike turns off. when i am around 2k rpm and accelerating the engine kicks

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok did some more search and found out that the suttering ma7 be spark plug problem. checked and look at the pic how the covers for spark 1 and 3 are little up. is this ok or needs to go all down

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
Engine Misfire: yes, they look up. You should pull them out and check them. The coil wire plug end (aka conductor to spark plug) not being seated could have done some damage to the conductor where it mates to the spark plug. Think high voltage erosion damage from the spark jumping the gap. You need to look closely inside at the metal conductor. There should be no erosion or burn damage. It should make a nice crisp "click" sound when seated to the spark plug.

As for the brakes: I would be up for inspecting all electrical connections related to the ABS. I have not viewed the manual for an ABS equipped bike but the sensors and the alignment of the pickup sensor to the counter disc (name??) can often times be an issue. Shock, vibration, alignment, and foriegn objects being stuck in the sensor can happen. But for all I know they check rear wheel rotation at the transmission output shaft with the speedo but I doubt it has great enough resolution.

When I say pull apart the connectors, it's to look for corrosion, pins being pushed out, broken and frayed wires. Some of these may be shielded wires so look for pinch points and breaks in the outer jacket too.

EDIT: As noted above, some ABS wires/sensor/pickups work from very small voltages and are very sensitive to electrical noise and if your plugs were not making electrical contact, the EMF generated could be the cause of the random ABS error light. Fix the plugs first!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above in that the plug caps don't appear to be on fully.

Once you do all your checks and are ready to re-install your caps, put some di-lectric grease on the rubber part of the boot where it meets the valve cover.

Besides helping to waterproof it, it'll help greatly in the installation and later removal process..

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Took it from the mechanic. You where correct. it was the spark plug. Also the abs light is because of the brakes starting to wear out. No need yet to replace but it was just a warning. The mechanic putted the bike on the computer and no error codes where shown

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Do a quick check on your brake light and make sure your brake light appears when your brakes are activated.I have my ABS warning indictor flashing while riding and found my rear lamp was blown.A replacement bulb solved my abs issue.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be answered,
1. Is ABS functionailty provided for both the wheels(front and rear) wherever applicable? ANS: YES
2. Is there any chance USA models can be upgraded to ABS? will it cost me leg and arm or not possible? ANS: YES

Thanks.

Last edited:

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
This is what it says about the ABS light in the owners manual:

Which is why I find it strange that the ABS still worked fine :confused:

When I had a discharged battery my ABS light came on, you still have normal brakes only no ABS. Once my battery was charged up again everything worked fine. If this is not the case I would have it checked out at the dealer. I agree with Canadian, it would not be caused by your brake pads being worn.

Happened to me today, after having the bike sitting for some time (it's from 2014 with original battery, with 20k on), the ABS light started to blink, so I thought that it could be the battery, will check it soon, maybe next weekend.

I really don't care if the ABS isn't working, but I don't like blinking lights on the dashboard. XD

"V"