Adjusting chain tension

Epic Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to adjust mine for the first time and, before I feck something up spectacularly, I tried searching for a good "how to". Well, I can't find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or post up some good instructions about what to do?

Thanks,

Ed

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Adjusting your chain is not so hard. The video link can give you an idea on whats involved. For me, the hardest part (if you want to call it that) was not having the opposite side of tire moving forward while tightening the axle nut. Another comment was not having the ability to spec torque the locknuts.

Just remember - not too tight on the chain. It's always better to have more slack than not enough.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BKdK7YBOkw&feature=related"]YouTube - Chain Adjustment Video[/ame]

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did it a month or so ago myself. One tip: when you're breaking loose the axle nut, and again when you're torquing it down, watch which direction your wrench handle is being pushed; pushing it forward can easily knock the bike off the centerstand! :eek: I found that orienting the wrench so you're pushing straight down worked best.

Epic Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your owner's manual. I did mine for the first time today and followed the steps there, it was pretty easy.

Yeah, I'm not much of an "owner's manual" kind of guy. I'm a very visual learner -- can't grasp mechanical stuff without actually seeing it or going step by step. I found the owner's manual left me with more questions than answers.

Of course, it all makes sense once you've done it, though. :tard:

I'll give it shot today. Thanks for the input.

Ed

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the 32mm axlenut off was a b*tch. (I'm a small guy), but other than that it wasn't so bad.

And +1 to what Botch said.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the 32mm axlenut off was a b*tch. (I'm a small guy), but other than that it wasn't so bad.

And +1 to what Botch said.

Hey! I just did my chain tension adjustment this morning. This was after getting some chain slippage during my last 2 rides. I'm wondering if I did it correctly. Moving the wheel and realigning wasn't a problem, but what I'm really concerned about is if my chain is at the correct tension now.

To everyone: I followed the manual and measured 45mm (or 1.77 in) from the bottom of the swing arm to the bottom of the chain in the area shown in the manual. What I do know is my chain is tighter than before. I've search the forum to confirm my method of measuring chain slack was correct but only found one thead which comfirms this:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/6248-chain-tension.html

I've also search google and hit a few general motorcycle maintenance tips. Some measure chain slack by pushing the chain up and down and measuring the traveled distance http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/beginner/chain-slack.html. With this method, the "slack" should generally be 0.25" up and down.

To thethendi: How did your's come out?

:thumbup:

Last edited:

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
It came out fine, you can read about why I had to do it here:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/8926-rear-wheel-swingarm-assembly-question.html

After I had screwed everything back in, I realized my chain had absolutely no tension. Oops.

I used the on-board tools to undo the axle nut. It was on there tight...I finally got it undone by having that wrench-thingy with the extension bar extending parallel to the floor and me pushing down on it with my foot.

The last thing I have to do is tighten the nuts down to their specified torque setting, something I haven't been able to do because I don't have a torque wrench (yet). On the ride to Home Depot to look for said tool I noticed that my shifts seemed a little bit smoother and the 1st-2nd gear "clankiness" was much reduced.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've adjusted my chain tension on Sunday and completed my daily commute. With a properly adjusted chain, I had better control with the throttle; power to the wheels was almost instant. That means my chain must have been really loose.

A definite must do aside from lubing the chain and checking your bolts.

:thumbup: