After markets slip ons

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Exhausts do they do anything for the bike except sound? I got my 06 Fz6 back yesterday 1hr drive on motorway and hmmmm, sounded louder but lost the sharpness of the throttle in all gears, DB's in. The thing that attracted me to the Fz6 in the first place, was the very sharp acceleration I had ridden a few stock ones before bought mine, and mine was stock. previous bike GSXR 750

Guys can the original sharp acceleration be sorted by bringing her for tuning? Or just pop back on old exhaust sound means f all if I've lost the thing that made the bike.

Any help greatly appreciate it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Their lighter and with the DB killers OUT, definitly louder(at least my Scorpions are).

Might pick up a tad more HP but honestly, it won't be much.

For my Scorps, they didn't come with DB killers so I purchased them later and HATED them.. It was just as quiet as stock.. They didn't make it to the end of the block, LITERALLY...

Pulled em back out and absolutely love the "open" sound, much deeper and doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore..

For me, with the louder exhaust, the bikes "feels" faster-really isn't, but the louder engine tricks the mind into it sounding like a go fast liter bike(IMO)...

Under 4, 5k RPM's it's not obnoxious(again, IMO). Wind it up past 7,8k (and up), it's a SCREAMER...

I've had them 9 or 10 years, (this pic is from 2012), no way would I put the stock muffler back on(sold it anyway)..

But you might want to try removing the DB killers (if allowed). That DOES make the bike sound good(again, IMO)..

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much for your response Townsend, your a gentleman, Yeah I'm going to whip the db's out, even with db's in she has that nice pop and crackle coming down the gears, does your scorpion do that man?, plus, there's people who say, running a bike without db killers will wreck engine over time? is that BS man?
And you didn't lose any acceleration bite? you still have original cat in? sorry for all the Q's

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much for your response Townsend, your a gentleman, Yeah I'm going to whip the db's out, even with db's in she has that nice pop and crackle coming down the gears, does your scorpion do that man?, No, no crackling, popping on deceleration. I don't care for that "crackle" sound, more of a gurgling if that makes sense (what ever you call it, I do like the Scorps). From reading about others, their (Scorps) somewhat deeper sounding..

..plus, there's people who say, running a bike without db killers will wreck engine over time? is that BS man? That IS BS. I've had them in since about 2010 (bought the bike used in 2009, 4,000 miles). The bikes clocked to now about 28,500 miles, NO issues.

And you didn't lose any acceleration bite? Not at all... If anything, it seems faster but again, I think it's just more of the sound as you can NOW hear the engine.

you still have original cat in? sorry for all the Q's Yep, BOTH Cats still in, AIR pump (valve cover) still in, stock air filter, no cover mods...

To add, when I sync the TB's, I do them at both idle (which I have set at 1,100-normal temp) as it idles smother and more de-cel braking) and again at 4K RPM's. The sync only really affect up to 4k RPM and mine at least, if out say 5mm's, (factory spec gives you 10mms), I get a vib in the right grip and right part of the seat.

With them sync'ed within 2mms(see below), no vibs, bars smooth, my butt is happy...

Here's a video I did awhile ago (18,000 miles), just showing charging voltages but you can hear the exhaust in it:

And here is the last sync I did after a valve adjustment (just one valve out SLIGHTLY):

IMO, un-less prohibited by law, etc, I'd at least try the bike W/O the killers. It's a VERY different bike...
If it's too loud for ya, you can always put em back..

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll ride without DB's no probs, I'm in Ireland we are as a nation .. easy :) Once you know your neighbours thanks for your reply and detail in it

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Townsed , took out the DB'S..... what a fcking difference man!!! night and day! quicker than stock now, amazing sound, performing better with acceleration than stock, Even smoothed out the twitchy throttle, Thanks for your help man, I'm in love again!!!

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks bro, wasn't easy/that safe riding today, test runs on large open 4 lane motorways, very little car traffic hit 130 mph steady (lots left on the rev counter) slowed down cause of cars ahead, that's with stock screen. I'm 6.3ft Good fun, spins up quick again.