Aircraft remover on rear tail bodywork (grab rails)?

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Would aircraft remover/paint stripper melt the rear tail section (the part that contains the grab rails)? I'm pretty sure it would do a number on the small "winglet" body panels under the seat but wasn't sure about the harder tail part.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Would aircraft remover/paint stripper melt the rear tail section (the part that contains the grab rails)? I'm pretty sure it would do a number on the small "winglet" body panels under the seat but wasn't sure about the harder tail part.

I bought a 2nd hand grab rail that had blue mettalic rattle can sprayed over the rough sanded original lacquer. I hit it with stripper ,let it sit and thenwire brushed it to roughen it up for the next coating oce it had well bubbled i sat it in a big plastic tub of hot water and caustic soda( drain cleaner) and attacked it with coarse steel wool. Took quite a few goes until I got 99% of the paint off . But the oainter was very happy with myprep work
The grab rail is now same colour as the tank
791a1eb0f3a43ff8f71b4da1a787e385.jpg
acd5e21365ccce73e697e5dfdcbd607e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, great to hear. Do you agree that the smaller side body pieces are made of a softer plastic and will melt with stripper?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, great to hear. Do you agree that the smaller side body pieces are made of a softer plastic and will melt with stripper?

yes I think stripper would distort the surface if not fully melt into it. I would be inclined to use wet n dry (emory paper) probably start with 180 grit and head for 400 then 800 in a bucket of soapy water, to scuff up the complete surface and then prime with etch primer befopre going through a conventional paint process

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
yes I think stripper would distort the surface if not fully melt into it. I would be inclined to use wet n dry (emory paper) probably start with 180 grit and head for 400 then 800 in a bucket of soapy water, to scuff up the complete surface and then prime with etch primer befopre going through a conventional paint process

OK cool, thank you.