FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the 2017 Eclipse will be near. Lots of hype about our state increasing head count by 25% and well, our infrastructure is not going to handle this so well.

Without moving an inch I'll be in 99.94% totality...
Hopefully power and others nice to have things keep working but I can envision loss of most forms of data / communication on the day 2017-08-21 as the media content streaming from the west coast overloads our grid and grinds to a halt...

Check this out:
A tool, where you can put in your zip code to see how much eclipse "coverage" you'll get. Should be cool to see from everywhere. But you gotta get your eclipse glasses.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Lucky you! Of course I assume you'll move over 35 miles(or so) to get the max totality 99.9 doesn't get the effect. I just hope I'll have clear weather. I'll have to travel about 200 miles but I think it'll be worth it. Good luck.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm renting an RV with some friends and taking the drive from New York. 2000 miles round trip. I would take the bike, but way to difficult to plan weather this far ahead. In addition its going to be way to dangerous with that many people on the road.
Found out NASCAR is racing in Bristol Tennessee that weekend so got tickets to the race.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A buddy of mine and I are using the Eclipse as a good reason to go on an 8 day moto adventure. Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia, amazing twisties in Western NC, over to Tennessee for my favorite (Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon), then down to West Columbia, SC to stay with a friend and (weather permitting) view about 2.5 minutes of totality. Been planning this ride since I first heard about the eclipse last summer!

If you miss this one, there's another in 2024. Not too early to start planning a ride!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
R. We are too far away for a good effect but I always load up on extra pork n beans in case the lectric n inerweb goes down...

By the way thank you for the meteor shower info. Lisa and I will be headed out to a great spot (high desert) to see the showers.

Also for those who may not catch the eclipse... perseid meteor shower 2017 How to watch 2017's Perseid meteors | Tonight | EarthSky

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
R. We are too far away for a good effect but I always load up on extra pork n beans in case the lectric n inerweb goes down...

By the way thank you for the meteor shower info. Lisa and I will be headed out to a great spot (high desert) to see the showers.

Also for those who may not catch the eclipse... perseid meteor shower 2017 How to watch 2017's Perseid meteors | Tonight | EarthSky

Another link on meteor shower!
Get Ready! The Brightest Meteor Shower in the Recorded Human History Is Happening | Sci-Tech Universe

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We went to see the Leonid meteor showers in, I think 2002. the rate was 3000 meteors per hour. A pretty intense experience. I recommend this experience to everyone. When there is a chance you can go experience a sky event do it. If you have friends and family take them... :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool experience!
Moon shadows, chill in the air, darkness upon the valley, cresents and rings... People gasping and yelling. Good stuff!

Lights went out for 58 seconds at our location... the ambiance during #totality was pretty awesome! Clear skies and a great ride instead of work! Can't beat that!

During eclipse
attachment.php

During totality...
attachment.php

Hopefully others can post up some great pictures.... the moon shadows waving on the ground was amazing. It just grew silent in the woods at 5000ft.

20170821_085345.jpg
20170821_102101.jpg
20170821_101347.jpg
20170821_103542.jpg
#eclipse 2017, Oregon

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the day off to photograph a salt marsh between Brigham City and Thiokol, I always thought it looked like Mordor and thought it'd look cool dark, yet lit from above. Even though it was in the 95% coverage band, the light was extremely disappointing (the darkness was enough to bring out the mosquitoes, however!)

Don't throw away your eclipse sunglasses, though! They're excellent multi-taskers, in case Kim Jong Un presses the button. :spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the great pictures FinalImpact!

I think Randy was singing this song today. :)

[video=youtube;hr0rDW5j1KU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0rDW5j1KU[/video]

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha! A couple there had a radio tuned in that played them all in proper sequence...
Even our beloved Dark Side of the Moon!

If you have to drive to see totality, drive or ride! Needless to say the bike was a great choice today. And we met miles of fresh asphalt on one of my favorite roads... Fast sweeper, free of cracks, pot holes, and tar snakes... A win!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On our way to Columbia, SC for the Eclipse we hit all the great named roads... "The Back of the Dragon" VA-16, 421 "The Snake", NC-209 "The Rattler", The Tail of the Dragon of course, and the Cherohala Skyway. We were on the skyway on the 20th before aiming for SC and found every single scenic pulloff already occupied by eclipse chasers, some had set up the day before.
Look at this guy's car-camping setup!
0ce24548d0b0c644cb636872d8a4bda1.jpg

Weather forecasts said that SE Tennessee would be clear and Columbia would be cloudy. We contemplated just staying where we were but our friend in SC woulda been pissed. Glad we continued! Turned out that we had the clearest skies possible, right in my buddies backyard with cold beer, clean bathrooms and A/C if needed!

Not too many pictures were taken, chose to leave that to the pros and just enjoy the eclipse moment. Managed to snag one blurry iPhone shot of the eclipse and of the eclipse-like shadows.
464f5587251d8652c799a0fc6fd5ad23.jpg

004804a5cb87f773571f7bf7514432c2.jpg

What a trip. Lifetime of memories packed into 7 days. Ended up camping 4 nights at primitive Blue Ridge Parkway sites- the only way to go!
4f73ba85b50be16c1088dde5f22b87cd.jpg

e5d070d0c0d64f69c771f2b479326a9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: