Arizona Fizzers

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode a huge loop today on the FZ...

Tucson to Green Valley, then Arivaca Rd. to Sasabe Rd. back to Tucson. Wow. Really enjoyed the section of Arivaca between I-19 and the town of Arivaca. Nice and smooth, with rolling sweepers. Very fast, except for the cops (we saw two, and lots of Border Patrol). This is a stellar ride.

From Arivaca to Sasabe Rd. the pavement sucks and there's a good bit of sand on the road in the corners. Be careful here if you're going to try to go fast through here.

I think next time I'd head out via Ajo Hwy and do an out'n'back. That way I could experience the good stretch twice.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I am in the Scottsdale area. I usually have Sundays free. PM me and we can exchange contact info. I would like to do a Beeline Highway87 ride up to Payson from Fountain Hills approximately 60+ miles.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Relocating to the Phoenix area soon. Haven't decided on which part or side of town to setup shop though it is dependent on job location (io ;) ). Looking at places between NW I-17 & 101 to SE 101 & 202 area.

Looking forward to riding :Sport: the areas in and around Phoenix. Any suggestions on local shops for maintenance and parts?

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Relocating to the Phownix area soon. Haven't decided on which part or side of town to setup shop though it is dependent on job location (io ;) ). Looking at places between NW I-17 & 101 to SE 101 & 202 area.

Looking forward to riding :Sport: the areas in and around Phoenix. Any suggestions on local shops for maintenance and parts?

CADMAN,

We've started another AZ FZ riders thread here:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-going-ride-you-comin/47836-az-fz-riders.html

ssky0078 likes Apache Motorcycles in Scottsdale. I haven't had to go to a dealer for anything yet... (knocks on wood).

Yeah, this thread seemed kinda like a dead thread. So we started the AZ FZ Riders thread that David had linked.

I have visited several shops at this point. In part I like to go there and see what they have and to chat up the people there to see what kind of operation they have.

I will give a quick run down.

Apache Motorcycles - Scottsdale: it's about 2 minutes from my house. I like the guys there both in the shop and the parts counter. They have always been helpful, they honor the same prices that I can get online. The service guys are also really friendly, a lot of times helping without charging me. The building and stock on hand is a little dated but they get stuff usually in about 2-3 days.

Apache Motorcycles - Mesa: These guys are also friendly but way, way more busier and more corporate feeling. They have a better selection of stuff on hand but to me it's not worth it a lot of times to sacrifice the personal customer service.

RideNow - Chandler and Phoenix: Very much corporate, very much more pressure sales. Won't cut a deal to honor internet prices. I would never buy a motorcycle from them as they typically have a $1-2,000 mark up over book value.

GoAZ in north Scottsdale: I like this place a lot. They have their training center in the back. The showroom is full of beautiful and expensive motorcycles. The sales guys are ok, the sales manager seems kind of like a dick. Garrett was the most helpful guy of all of them. Garrett said that he would match internet prices and even told me that some items I was looking at were coming up on sale. When I asked the sales manager he said they won't do that. So, quite honestly fark him. I will not do business with someone who doesn't work with the current economy we all have to deal with. I look at it like this, you still are making money off the sale of the item, it may not be as much as you want, but all of us don't feel like we get as much as we want. Also they have a certified Dynotune station and nationally recognized Dynotuner. when I eventually get a PCV I will go there.

DTR Motorsports in North Central Phoenix - this is primarily a race shop. They do have a Ducati certified mechanic, Racetech certified technicians, and a Dynotune certified station and certified Dynotuner.

As for places to live I don't know if I could live in that area you're talking about. It's called the Avenues if you are a east sider (streets) like myself. I've heard of more bad $hit going down over there than I'd ever want to be around. If you get to the north end of Glendale or some parts of Arrowhead it might be ok. I even know of some preferred locations over there for gang activity. these people told me it would be best if I stayed on the Eastside because I'm not brown enough.

Last edited:

tdbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode a huge loop today on the FZ...

Tucson to Green Valley, then Arivaca Rd. to Sasabe Rd. back to Tucson. Wow. Really enjoyed the section of Arivaca between I-19 and the town of Arivaca. Nice and smooth, with rolling sweepers. Very fast, except for the cops (we saw two, and lots of Border Patrol). This is a stellar ride.

From Arivaca to Sasabe Rd. the pavement sucks and there's a good bit of sand on the road in the corners. Be careful here if you're going to try to go fast through here.

I think next time I'd head out via Ajo Hwy and do an out'n'back. That way I could experience the good stretch twice.

Don't know how i missed this... Not only is the road description spot on, but when I made this trip last weekend I rode it "out'n'back". I will say, both times i rode this i did see tons of border patrol, but zero police.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
As for places to live I don't know if I could live in that area you're talking about. It's called the Avenues if you are a east sider (streets) like myself. I've heard of more bad $hit going down over there than I'd ever want to be around. If you get to the north end of Glendale or some parts of Arrowhead it might be ok. I even know of some preferred locations over there for gang activity. these people told me it would be best if I stayed on the Eastside because I'm not brown enough.

Thanks for the link and advice. By not really knowing any area :confused:, don't want to make a wrong turn day one :eek:. I may be a little too brown, which sometimes gets the same treatment (stayed around LA).

No matter, just looking forward to the riding :rolleyes:.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the link and advice. By not really knowing any area :confused:, don't want to make a wrong turn day one :eek:. I may be a little too brown, which sometimes gets the same treatment (stayed around LA).

No matter, just looking forward to the riding :rolleyes:.

Enjoy the riding. It's one of the best places in the country for it. And if you are a little brown then it's sad to say you really have to watch out for the MCSO, Maricopa County Sheriff's Officers. I've been told by previous mentioned friends in the avenues that there are a lot of unnecessary stops, to check papers, and set people up for immigration/deportation issues. It was a huge deal here I think 2-3 years ago where the sheriff pushed for more freedom and power to do this.

It's pretty sad that we have to worry about these kinds of things but Phoenix is a pretty diverse metropolis like LA but with a greater redneck country boy undertone to the powers that be.