Attn: Stratoliner ISC high-idle issue (ref via TownsendFJR1300)

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site
(I was referred to Motogiro from TownsendsFJR1300, he thought if anyone could help Motogiro might be able to)

Warning...VERY long post...sorry.

Hi, my problem is with my 2007 (XV19CTMW) Stratoliner 1854cc V-twin.
Here's the history:
Bought the bike back in September 2014; it had hardened tires and it backfired really bad between gears so I only rode it a mile or two before doing some improvements to it. It came with a Patrick Racing Big Air Kit (individual K&N filters, stock air box removed), V&H 2-1 full exhaust, V&H FuelPak fuel mgmt, O2 still installed.
ordered new tires, and while I was waiting for them to come in...
Replaced handlebars (through bar wiring)
Sent ECU out to be reflashed by Ivan Rovinski (Ivan's Performance Products) and installed it. Ivan has sold hundreds(?) of these to Strat owners I interact with and none have had any problems, just high praise. Agreed...huge improvement. As part of the installation, besides just popping it into place, Ivan has you use the PCIIIUSB to adjust the TPS to a certain level (voltage?) which I was able to do.
Replaced the FuelPak with a PCIIIUSB as Ivan has mapped it to improve performance even further (unable to do with FuelPak)
As per Ivan, removed the O2 and used a plug he sent me to put in the now open O2 plug lead
Removed PR BAK and reinstalled stock air box but without the airflow restricting lid and upgraded to K&N filter (common practice and recommended by Ivan
Other non-pertinent cosmetic changes

After doing all of this (at the same time), I started having my problem.

*The problem is INTERMITTENT, and sometimes it happens when it is cold, sometimes when hot...sometimes right away after starting (15 seconds), sometimes halfway to work (a 26 mile ride). Sometimes after riding it and the idle shoots up (sometimes as high as 2500 RPMs, I could shut it down, count to ten, then restart and it would be fine, other times that trick didn't do squat).
I actually went almost three months without it misbehaving even once, then all of a sudden started again...I had just filled up with gas and the gas gauge wasn't responding (happens sometimes and is a somewhat common issue with the Strat), so I reached under the front of the tank and wiggled with wires that run to my instrument cluster and gas gauge, and it started the problem again...shot up to 2200 RPMs and stayed there until I got her home.

The problem (code #37 "ISC stuck open"):
The bike starts fine, always. Then after about 15 seconds, if it's going to misbehave right away, the idle goes straight up to around 1500-2000 RPMs and stays there. I can't "kick it down" or do anything else to fix it once it starts. If I then turn the bike off via the key, I can hear the ISC valve "jamming" instead of buzzing back to the park position. As if it's already fully open and it gets a signal to open more and it tries but can't. If it's NOT misbehaving and I turn it off with the key, it just buzzes like it's supposed to as it parks. Using the kill switch just shuts the engine down and nothing happens.

What I've done (although done at different times over the months as I've thought to do them):
Called Ivan who said it is not the ECU but a faulty ISC valve. I replaced the ISC valve, no fix.
Checked throttle play, is good at 4mm
Checked throttle cables, no binding or problems
Checked the lines that go from ISC to throttle body; no breaks or cracks -- removed each one and put vacuum on them and they held 20lbs negative pressure
Went through entire on-board diagnostic and found nothing wrong except for the air pressure sensors didn't give the correct reading so I replaced them. Turns out I'd done the test wrong so that was for nothing
Replaced battery
Checked every wire that goes between ISC plug and ECU plug for continuity, all good
Replaced O2 sensor, no change
Removed PCIIIUSB, no change
Synchronized throttle bodies using the 2-jar method, no change
Sent ECU back to Ivan who said it made his Strat misbehave in the same way, sent me different used reflashed ECU, worked for a while then misbehaved again. Sent me a third, brand new and reflashed ECU -- problem still exists. He thinks bike is sending too much voltage to ECU and that part is getting damaged. I would agree, except again, I went almost 3 months with it working perfectly, then it returned.
Inspected all pins connectors and plugs for damage, none visible
Put dielectric grease on all connections I could find -- this and replacing the air sensors was the last thing I did when the bike ran good for 3 months. Note: I did have some real trouble disconnecting the four plugs that run under the tank; three go to instrument panel which sits on tank, the other goes to fuel sender I think. I checked these for damage but couldn't find any.

Throttle bodies appear to close fully and function properly, no other problems when the bike is not misbehaving -- it runs awesome and the ECU being reflashed is the greatest improvement over stock available.

Took the bike to Yamaha, who couldn't do anything. Said the next item on the checklist was to replace the throttle bodies, which I'm not going to do yet as I don't think it's the issue.

I just bought a known-good stock ECU from a forum buddy, and I installed it last Friday, but haven't had the chance to run the bike since (except for just starting it in place, didn't misbehave).

I always thought it was the ECU being reflashed, but Ivan has reflashed almost every StratDelux forum members' bike I know and NONE have had any problems, ever. I'm the only one, and with 3 different units, so it's difficult to think that the ECU is the problem if the bike was 100% otherwise.

I truly apologize for the novel, but this has been going on since October 2014 so I've been trying to fix it since then.

What I haven't done yet, but probably should:
Check TPS according to service manual
Check fuel pump according to service manual
Try removing the O2 dummy plug that Ivan sent me, but leaving the O2 sensor out (plugged); I've always done both together to check if it was the problem
Really, REALLY take a close look at the throttle body connection to motor; look for anything strange. I did have to get "tough" with the PR BAK velocity stacks (anodized aluminum) to remove them way back when I did all the changes.

I can't think of anything else, although it's been hard to remember everything so I may have missed something.

Any ideas, things to check, etc. would be so greatly appreciated! I'm really ready to take my wife on a road trip but I'm afraid to with the bike running questionably -- will it or won't it??

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully give me something to check.

// Radar //

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Attn MOTOGIRO: Stratoliner ISC high-idle issue (ref via TownsendFJR1300)

Bike is NOT Throttle By Wire (TBW) but yet it has an electromechanical Idle Speed Control Valve (ISCV)??? I ask this as you mention cables. So it has throttle cables from the grip that move the Throttle Bodies?

What other accessories does this bike have? Please list them all.

It just seems strange they would equip it with ISCV and not just ditch the whole cable system and go TBW. That said, my question is this: In most cases ISCV are used to offset variables like loads, temperature changes, start up conditions, and things like that.

If it were mine and I were trying to determine WHY it behaves different some days than others I would be looking at what changes?
Engine and air temperature sensors. Verify these meet the manufactures specification. Do not rely on the gauge and what it reports, rather find a way to test the sensors.
Lighting and electrical loads; should the load on the alternator increase, the ISCV is going to increase the RPM. Find a way to monitor the system voltage and see what its doing. Should the load from a device increase, it may be sending data to the ECU to increase the RPM.

Is the IDLE RPM instability the ONLY issue?

Also, what are the details of the dummy plug the O2 sensor has? Is it an actual electronic device or just some fixed resistors? If its left off, does the ECU throw a CEL?

Needless to say I'm still perplexed it has ISCV and they didn't just go TBW. The TPS could be highly suspect even if its test good. If the TBs are controlled by cables from the throttles grip, I see that as a waste of money (replacing them). Can you share some picture of this?

Do you best to share as much picture detail as you can. It does have to be your bike. Here are some examples.

TPS on far right. Cables to TB on left. Idle Speed Controller bottom (works from Coolant Temperature change):
attachment.php

TPS:
attachment.php

Cables from Throttle Grip:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The only magic here is the Coolant does fast idle speed through ISCV:
attachment.php

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

RadarContact said:
Yes, one throttle cable that mechanically controls both butterflies. I believe the butterflies can be completely closed and still idle through the air "injected" by the ISC or "linear control" valve which is controlled but not monitored by the ECU.

Mustang seats, Rifle windshield, new grips (put on way after the fact), some other little things non mechanical non electrical, etc. cosmetic only and none before problem started.

It's not a gradual thing as if responding to environmental, but more of a BAM, SUPER HIGH IDLE as if someone inadvertently leaned against the throttle. Ill post a video I took a while back.

Not sure about dummy plug details, but it's something I need to remove to see what happens. I just don't know on that one.

I'll try to post up some pics soon.

The idle is the only issue. When it's not,idling high, the bike is a beast and runs flawlessly.

Thank you!
Radar (Darrin)

The size and cost of the O2 plug may be enough to go on.
Small in size and cheap and its likely just some resistors so the ECU thinks the heater is intact. The FZ6 from 07 - 09 does not care if the sensor is unplugged. It doesn't throw a code. The ECU just doesn't change the AFR on steady state runs to achieve 14.7:1 for best efficiency of the CATs...

Also, does this bike have any remaining Catalytic converters? Do you know Target AFR of the combined components? This is a real LONG stretch but any chance those (if there) are getting hot or plugged from over rich mixture? Very unlikely but....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION], [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

Just to add, ISC, on Yamaha outboards are Idle Speed Control AKA

Basically a small electronic motor that adjusts in and out to set the idle from the ECU. Again, the ISC (at least on the OB engines, raise and lower the idle per the ECU. However the ECU in most cases does NOT get feedback if indeed the idle raised or lowered, just operates by turning on and off the ground . For the motorcycle, no idea..

(you may already have known that from other applications)..

Last edited:

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

I believe the ISC / ECU relationship on motorcycles, at least mine, is the same as you described.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I know the new FJR's (just the Gen III's) are throttle by wire and have NO idle adjustment screw, all puter controlled.

I gather they must have introduced/or installed it on yours back then.. Possibly that's shorting to ground and raising the idle..

We'll see...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Although it may not have circuit attached to the solenoid the CPS is telling the ECU about RPM changes....

OK - I see how they did this: 2007 STRATOLINER - XV19CTW Yamaha Motorcycle INTAKE Diagram and Parts
Item 38 LCV runs the idle.
Very strange it has Two Pressure Sensors $34), I wonder why? Why didn't they just T them together and use one (a product of Big Twins perhaps?)? What is the NORMAL low idle speed or the lowest desirable idle speed you would ever want?

ALSO - do you own a factory Service Manual? What does it say about setting the TB opening or idle speed? Also, are you sure the restrictors are in line after the LSC? It appears these may limit high speed idle potential.

One thing to check is the signal wire to the LCV and just confirm its being controlled by the ECU and its not some other random leak. So when it freaks out, find a way to unplug that VALVE! I'm sure it defaults to CLOSED but it MAY default to OPEN and INCREASE the IDLE A LOT! So be careful here.

Also if you have fancy meter that measures frequency it would be nice to know if the Solenoid is just getting 12Vdc and its ALL or nothing or did they use it as a clipper valve. A clipper valve or linear valve can have a digital pulse sent to it so it effectively controls volume. A solenoid is usually just open or close.

Does it always go to the same RPM?

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

The ECU is supposed to use the ISC (or LCV in the parts fiches) to keep at around 900 rpm.

(A lot of stuff I don't understand...not sure about the frequencies or what a clipper valve is)

No, sometimes it just goes up to around 1500, once it was almost at 3000 and was dangerous to ride.

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

Here is a video I took way back in Dec showing the rise in RPMs and how the ISC valve sounds like it's jamming up after the motor is turned off. There is supposed to be a slight buzzing sound when you turn the bike off, it's the ISC returning to a nominal position, I.e. Parking for the next cold start. When it is acting up, mine sounds like it's jamming or actually binding up. I think this is because it is already fully open (the high idle) and then when I shut down the bike it wants to park in the open position, but it's already fully open so it just "clanks" as it tries. The ECU can't tell what position the ISC is in (if Yami bike motors are like Yami outboards).

https://youtu.be/VfR7zMzjC2Q

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

Here is a second video I took in April. I had the tank and air cleaner box off so the ISC hose that takes air into the ISC valve was exposed (usually connects to underside of airbox pulling in filtered air. So this is me putting my finger partially over that hose end and adjusting or reducing the idle down by restricting the flow, as soon as I let go you can hear the idle jump up. Then when I turn off the bike, I say "listen" and you can hear the ISC valve clatter.

YouTube

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

Another vid from April. The RPMs increasing after 15 seconds or so is the bike misbehaving, I didn't touch anything.

YouTube

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

This video was a few months back as I was running it through the complete diagnostics mode the bike provides. Pretty cool actually. I get to #54, the ISC, and use the kill switch to toggle the ISC valve on and off. You can hear it clatter during the open-to-close or close-to-open travel...or both, I don't know. Other times it didn't make any noise at all, was whisper quiet, just the normal buzzing it makes. Intermittent problems suck! ;)

YouTube

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Does the LSC valve have 6 wires? Fleebay shows some parts that lead me to beleive its much more complex than is assumed. 4 control wires from the ECU and 2 power wires. Thats no cheapo Solenoid with YES/NO logic or OFF/ON. It very likely has the ability to set it to any RPM.

It jumping to 3000 RPM is GOOD INFO! That indicates a huge range and is why I am asking if the # 40, PIPE 2007 STRATOLINER - XV19CTW Yamaha Motorcycle INTAKE Diagram and Parts is a restrictor and IF ITS in PLACE! A missing restrictor would ALLOW AN INSANE AMOUNT OF AIR and HUGE jump in idle RPM if its missing.

But if the ECU cared at all about its actions, would see it Added TOO MUCH (i.e RPM from 900 to 3000) and throttle back that valve!

Can you find what page it tells you to adjust the RPM on?

Does this have any kind of electronic Cruise Control???

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you my tech savvy brothers for input on this one and :welcome: Radar Contact!

Logic tells me a voltage is changing somewhere. Whether a component/sensor, at a plug or within the harness. Voltage of the charging system should be monitored Preferably at the battery and at the output of the regulator/rectifier. If you have confirmation of a bad ECU/ECM and you've had a repeat, it will be important to monitor the voltages at these 2 points during the failure. The hard part of this is the risk of damaging components during the test if the anomaly is a high voltage problem. This can toast other components although I would think most components are somewhat hardened against short term abuse. It would be nice to look at the nominal run voltage with an oscilloscope to see if there are any other strong components/waveforms present.

With sensors today, I've seen 2 cases with the FZ6 where there was crosstalk between the Speed sensor and another sensor that shared a plug. This really did a number on the engine running every tome the rear wheel moved! Cleaning the plug with water and blowing dry with compressed air cured the problem. And yes grease afterward would be recommended but not before cleaning any salt contamination. Cleaning possible salt contaminants that cause a crosstalk problem is best done with distilled water first.

Another important sign in your case is wiggling wires and seeing indicators change behavior. This would seem to be a problem at a plug or within the harness. If the harness is suspect it may have damaged insulators either from an over current situation or mechanically induced (crushed or pinched wire) damage. If your shorting higher than normal voltage (12 VDC) to a sensor input that's in 5 VDC world, you can have repeat failures.

Intermittents are are usually very simple problems to resolve but they are usually a bummer to track down.

There could be a problem with the ECU/ECM resolving RPM to ISC solution. In other words the ECU sees and RPM change, outputs to the servo but looses RPM input and then continues to output a signal the the servo and keeps looping. Very honestly it could be as simple as corrupt code from a reflash or a revision in the ECU that the reflasher hasn't resolved yet.

It may be time to physically track the servo wires within the harness to the ECU

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

Well, it didn't jump to 3,000 it sort of creeped up from ~2200-2500 to almost 3,000 over the course of my ride home from work. Very embarrassing at stop lights, to say the least! ;)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, it didn't jump to 3,000 it sort of creeped up from ~2200-2500 to almost 3,000 over the course of my ride home from work. Very embarrassing at stop lights, to say the least! ;)

In the FSM - read these....
Fault code 37, pg 7-36
Read EVERYTHING on Page 7-55, i.e. Fault Code 37

Notice it states the normal operation is to vibrate. FWIW: copyright issues prevent us from posting images of the CR material here, but it sure seems like this unit should have induced an error code. That said, the FSM doesn't tell you squat about testing the valve or much of its operation.

As stated by two of us, you need to monitor the system voltage and see what it does through an entire heat cycle.

Key off and sitting for 4hrs - record battery voltage.
Key on BUT NOT running, wait 30sec, record battery voltage
Start engine and watch the voltage. What does it do.
Ride it and allow it to come to full temperature and record voltage at idle and say 4500 RPM. IDEAL - observe while riding.
Also, are there any stored ERROR Codes? What are they?

Based upon the FSM - the valve is always in motion moving from closed to partially open so its constantly oscillating to control the volume of air. The question is why is it giving it air when the engine is warm?
That's why I saying you need to verify the voltages. Verify the temperature sensors (air/coolant) and record when this things happen.

There is a WAY to limit what it can do and that is to add restrictors so it simply CAN NOT suck enough air to idle above say 1200 RPM. This doesn't FIX the problem but it does make it safer to ride. But you need to gather electrical data first or risk the system being damaged if the charging system is faulty.

Those are my thoughts. Read those pages and verify none of those items/connections are compromised.

Last edited:

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

It throws code #37, ISC stuck Fully Open. I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that important piece of info, my bad.

The bike is on a battery tender right now...I'll remove that and let it sit for a couple hours, then measure batt volts to get started. Then I have to go to work, so I'll try to do the others tomorrow in the morning.

Thank you. ;)

ACTUALLY, I'll remove the tender now, then measure it tomorrow at the start of the process, that seems to make more sense.

// Radar //

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You did. I guess the question is, does the ECU detect every occurrence of it misbehaving or just extremes like above 2000 RPM?

Observation:
In one of the videos up there it appears you blocked the air into the LSC - yet the engine took a LOOOOOOONG time to idle down. This seems wrong. like there is a vacuum leak!

As for the LSC valve topping out and hunting for the correct position; IMO, this could be induced by having the incorrect base line idle speed (sync or Thtottle Blade/Plate opening). I have Zero experience with this engine so I want to know the following:

Can you alter the Throttle Body BLADE/PLATE position on each TB? Is there a stop screw for this?
Where are there AIR bleed screws for TB sync?
ARE BLEED SCREWS in line with the LSC or INTERNAL to the TB air passages?

What I'm saying is, IF the LSC is opened at say 70% to maintain 950RPM Idle and it tries to obtain 1300 it could get maxed out (ECU not able to obtain designated High Idle speed). Meaning, you need to give it more air from some other location to allow it the LSC valve to close down some (say 30%). That said, this does not explain why it randomly OPENS (high idle) but it could explain why it gets stuck with error 37.

RadarContact

Reaction score
Visit site

That's a lot of info! Lol

I'm not sure to be honest. There is an article by FXStein that talks about tricking the ISC. It can be seen here: Just a moment...
-- this article is a fix for something that the reflashed takes care of, LOW IDLE and STALLING, but maybe it can be reverse engineered to my situation. ??

I have been trying to find out if there (or what) is a correct idle screw starting point. I don't know if maybe the mechanic who put the exhaust and V&H FuelPak on tinkered with it. If I knew what the default position was (all the way in, then back out for two revolutions, etc.) I would set it that way to get started.

In the video, I was kind of feathering the ISC with my thumb. I think if I were to close it off completely, it would stall. (I think)

Bike is disconnected from tender right now. Will play with it tomorrow in the morning. ;)

V/r
// Radar //

Last edited: