Aug 16 - So Cal "Border Patrol" Ride

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A group of us So Cal Hoons are getting together for a little hooliganism on Saturday, August 16! We'll be riding one of our favorite routes that we call "Border Patrol". The route takes us within a few hundred yards of the US-Mexico border, then up into the higher elevations of Mount Laguna and Julian. Lots of scenic views and some fun twisties, of course! Join up if you can!

We'll plan to have lunch in Mt. Laguna at the Pine House Cafe & Tavern (link below)

Meet Up:

We'll meet at 9 AM here to start:

Shell Gas Station
9490 Mira Mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92126

Map of the route:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=z-b4Jk7w5xfA.kJJHHBnlz5zk

Lunch:

Pine House Cafe Home

So far we have:

Goop
Motogiro
Jblk9695
Cali Rider
Verharen
sandctrev
Evan (maybe)
marke14 (maybe)
patrickb37
felixytsoi
ba4x
Tailgate (thinking...)
ENG (maybe)

Let's ride!! :rockon:

If we have time, we'll hit up Julian Pie Company for a treat!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Verharen will meet us later in the ride. She will monitor our location by tracking my Spot. I will be posting the link when I set up the page. This will be done a day before we ride. Others can also track us using the link as it will be public. :)

felixytsoi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'd like to join this ride! Sounds like a fun one. I've never been on a group ride before, plus I'm a new rider (started on the Fz6 back in April).

Any pointers/tips that I should know beforehand? (group signals, etc.)

Also, I looked at the map, but is there an estimate of how far it is from each location and the total mileage?

Thanks

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'd like to join this ride! Sounds like a fun one. I've never been on a group ride before, plus I'm a new rider (started on the Fz6 back in April).

Any pointers/tips that I should know beforehand? (group signals, etc.)

Also, I looked at the map, but is there an estimate of how far it is from each location and the total mileage?

Thanks

Hello!

Distance-wise you're looking at about 200 miles for the route. There will be plenty of spots for getting fuel. The points on the map; I just used them to draw out the map. Those shouldn't be taken as literal points that we'll stop at.

Tips? Hydrate and keep hydrated throughout the day. There will be areas that will be hot. Keep in mind to ride your own ride and not beyond your skill/comfort level. That leads to trouble.

felixytsoi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

Distance-wise you're looking at about 200 miles for the route. There will be plenty of spots for getting fuel. The points on the map; I just used them to draw out the map. Those shouldn't be taken as literal points that we'll stop at.

Tips? Hydrate and keep hydrated throughout the day. There will be areas that will be hot. Keep in mind to ride your own ride and not beyond your skill/comfort level. That leads to trouble.

Thanks for the info :) Can't wait to meet you guys on the 16th!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Updated list!

Goop
Motogiro
Jblk9695
Cali Rider
Verharen
sandctrev
Evan (maybe)
marke14 (maybe)
patrickb37
felixytsoi
ba4x
Tailgate (thinking...)
ENG (maybe)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Updated list!

Goop
Motogiro
Jblk9695
Cali Rider
Verharen
sandctrev
Evan (maybe)
marke14 (maybe)
patrickb37
felixytsoi
ba4x
Tailgate (thinking...)
ENG (maybe)

This could end up an epic ride!:rockon:

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I got sat off... Looking forward to hitting the rd. I need to get a new set of mirrors this week. They are more expensive then I expected. May go for some bar ends... The revews at cycle gear are preety solid.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scrubbed my new T-30 rear in on the South Grade of Palomar Mountain on Fri. so I'm ready and looking forward to some fun riding this coming Saturday.

Looks like we'll have good weather.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Updated list!

Goop
Motogiro
Jblk9695
Cali Rider
Verharen
sandctrev
Evan (maybe)
marke14 (maybe)
patrickb37
felixytsoi
ba4x
Tailgate (thinking...)
ENG (maybe)

This is an updated list for the ride as far as I know.

Goop
Motogiro
Jblk9695
Cali Rider
Verharen
sandctrev
patrickb37
felixytsoi
ba4x
Tailgate (thinking...)
ENG (maybe)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, I'm riding tomorrow your direction. Almost had to scuttle mission after shorting out a electrical lighting circuit just this evening. A little nervous but I remembered where the fuses are for FZ6 taillight. A blew a 10 amp (in that little "tail" fuse box) while trying to figure out my $#$%license plate light blowing out all the #$$^$$time. You emailed me 2 or so years ago but this problem still haunts me. I'm going to have to do Fridday night riding through LA w/o illuminated license plate. Anyway, nice that Yamaha included a spare 10 amp fuse and I'm good to go (but now should quickly buy some 10 and 20n amp fuses for contingency).

Sad to learn about Evan and he being probably now knocked out now. It was cool meeting him at Lefty's BD bash.

Okay, hope to rendez-vous with all Hoons Sat morning!