Bar end adapter

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
So I plan on picking up a set of Driven D-Axis grips.

Driven Racing D-Axis Grips - RevZilla

I would like to get the bar ends to match.

Driven Racing D-Axis Bar End Weights - RevZilla

But what from what I can tell my FZ1 bars are for a screw in type bar end and these won't be a direct install without some type of adapter. So my question is, does anybody know what type of adapter I need to make these work? Thanks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I plan on picking up a set of Driven D-Axis grips.

Driven Racing D-Axis Grips - RevZilla

I would like to get the bar ends to match.

Driven Racing D-Axis Bar End Weights - RevZilla

But what from what I can tell my FZ1 bars are for a screw in type bar end and these won't be a direct install without some type of adapter. So my question is, does anybody know what type of adapter I need to make these work? Thanks.

There are several ways to go:

1. The threaded inserts can be pulled out of FZ1 bar, leaving a plain steel bar. However, the bar ends you like will still not fit well.. they're meant for aluminum bars with much smaller inside diameter (15-16mm). It should be relatively easy to find a larger expansion nut at hardware store.

2. Replace FZ1 bar with an aluminum bar (** more vibration **).

Also keep in mind that even though they're listed as "weights", they're actually very light compared to original bar ends, so once again quite a bit more vibration.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I saw it my FZ1 bars have the threaded insert spot welded in place from the outside of the bar with a deep penetrating weld. If you drilled out the spot welds you'd have some very large holes in the bars. The next option is drilling out the OEM threads which is doable but you need to be careful or the new insert may not fit proper. Not to mention the finish a double fluted drill bit may not be ideal.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I saw it my FZ1 bars have the threaded insert spot welded in place from the outside of the bar with a deep penetrating weld. If you drilled out the spot welds you'd have some very large holes in the bars. The next option is drilling out the OEM threads which is doable but you need to be careful or the new insert may not fit proper. Not to mention the finish a double fluted drill bit may not be ideal.

When I got my FZ1, inserts were out of the bar.. not sure how P.O. did it. I still have that bar and have no need for it.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
There are several ways to go:

1. The threaded inserts can be pulled out of FZ1 bar, leaving a plain steel bar. However, the bar ends you like will still not fit well.. they're meant for aluminum bars with much smaller inside diameter (15-16mm). It should be relatively easy to find a larger expansion nut at hardware store.

2. Replace FZ1 bar with an aluminum bar (** more vibration **).

Also keep in mind that even though they're listed as "weights", they're actually very light compared to original bar ends, so once again quite a bit more vibration.
Thanks for the info Erci. That seems to be more trouble than its worth and since I want new bar ends to reduce vibration and hopefully help with hand numbness I wont get those. I actually put my OEM bar ends back on and that helped the vibration tremendously. One more question though, am I correct that the only bar ends for FZ1 bars that are heavier than OEM are the ones from HVMP?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info Erci. That seems to be more trouble than its worth and since I want new bar ends to reduce vibration and hopefully help with hand numbness I wont get those. I actually put my OEM bar ends back on and that helped the vibration tremendously. One more question though, am I correct that the only bar ends for FZ1 bars that are heavier than OEM are the ones from HVMP?

Yes, the only ones I know of are [MENTION=8814]HVMP[/MENTION].. and they are outstanding! I used them on FZ6 and now use them on FZ1.