Battery is at 12.89V. Turned key and nothing. No fuel pump, cluster doesn't lite up

Chengaskhan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

So I know 12.89V isn't ideal but I believe that should be enough to even just power accessories and have the instrument cluster turn on as well as fuel pump. Does anyone know what could cause that?

I know this is super vague, but basically I turn the key and it literally does nothing. Youtube has help for if it doesn't crank, or if the fuel lines are clogged, but none of that is relevant as it does nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Could the cutoff relay have anything to do with this? Or any other aspect of the starter system?

-Thanks,

Alan

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have tail light,brake light, horn when you turn on the key? If not you may have a blown 30 amp main fuse located on top of the battery. If that fuse is blown you have a bad short and should track it down before replacing that main fuse.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having the same issue in my thread (not cranking over), mine did run but I shorted something.

I believe your issue is different. The op on this thread seems to have no power at all when they turn on the key.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

So I know 12.89V isn't ideal but I believe that should be enough to even just power accessories and have the instrument cluster turn on as well as fuel pump. Does anyone know what could cause that?

I know this is super vague, but basically I turn the key and it literally does nothing. Youtube has help for if it doesn't crank, or if the fuel lines are clogged, but none of that is relevant as it does nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Could the cutoff relay have anything to do with this? Or any other aspect of the starter system?

-Thanks,

Alan

Is the bike new to you? If so, has anyone buggered up the wiring harness?

Any recent work done?

12.89 volts is fully charged. Yes, you should get dash, pump, etc.

I would lift the tank and check the battery connections. You may have a loose cable. Also make sure the red, plastic, POSITIVE CABLE COVER is NOT stuck between the battery and cable.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
12.89 volts is fully charged. Yes, you should get dash, pump, etc.

I would lift the tank and check the battery connections. You may have a loose cable. Also make sure the red, plastic, POSITIVE CABLE COVER is NOT stuck between the battery and cable.

This^^^^^^^ should be the very first thing to check.

Thank you Scott!

galil

Reaction score
Visit site
Got similar situation here. Checked at 12.28 volts, turn key, dash lights up and turn signals, but no headlight, no fuel pump noise.

edited: HOLY CRAP! Turns out I brushed the kill switch that I don't normally use while cleaning it. I'm gonna go put my head int the sand now...D'OH!

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got similar situation here. Checked at 12.28 volts, turn key, dash lights up and turn signals, but no headlight, no fuel pump noise.

edited: HOLY CRAP! Turns out I brushed the kill switch that I don't normally use while cleaning it. I'm gonna go put my head int the sand now...D'OH!
Glad it was simple. Also the headlight relay doesnt send current to the headlights until the engine starts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk