Battery: YT12B-BS vs. GT12B-4

vc128

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, new to the forum, and to biking.

I just got a 2008 FZ6 off craigslist. Got around 3300miles on it.

The battery died on me and I've been browsing around to buy a battery.

I called the local Pep Boys and they said they don't carry anything for motorcycles that new and recommended me to another local battery store

the manual says that my battery model is: GT12B-4

but while browsing the web, it seems that my model is always grouped with YT12B-BS model and they seem to be interchangeable if not the same thing just with a new name.

so here's my question..

are these the same battery? would i be able to use YT12B-BS? (they seem to be more available)

or are they just similar batteries that I shouldnt try using on my bike.

it'd be great if you guys could help me out! pretty new to this whole thing, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

vc128

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I read over it and got a better idea of what to look for in a battery...

but I'm still stuck on the question of whether there's a difference between the YT12B-BS and GT12B-4?

The WestCo one seems to be compatible with both

http://ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EBTG&Product_Code=12V12B-4

but I have no idea if it's a good idea to try out something that might not work right?

Also, my friend said to bring it to pep boys and just tell them to recharge it (since its free) but when I called, they said their chargers might be too strong for our batteries?

anyone have any thoughts on that?

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
I would bring your current batter to be charged(since its free). Whats the worst that will happen? If it doesnt work you are still stuck buying a new battery right? Cant speak too much on the subject otherwise but I can tell you that Yuasa makes a good battery. I had to buy one for my Kawi Ex500 and it worked great. If it fits I would definitely recommend the YT12B-BS. Dont think it really makes any difference what battery you put in as long as it is for motorcycles and fits in the location it is supposed to. It is like comparing a AA Duracell to a AA Energizer. As long as it is a AA you should be fine. Hope my example helps. ps-I am no expert! Just stating how I think of it.