Beads

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever ran beads in their FZ6's tires. I know that they are not for every application. I've owned 2 bikes and that is all I ran were beads. I've never had a problem. But, This being a different make and model, I'm curious.

Thanks

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just do static balancing + wheel weights.

It's easy. It's cheap. It's what the manuals say. It's what 99,999% of riders use. It's what MotoGP guys use.

Why would anyone even consider anything else? Surely, beforehand buy new and good quality tires.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a guy (at my tire shop) that static balances only (while I watch)..

The boss mounted last time, balanced out with no weights (super close, PR3).

I begged my regular guy, (I'll only allow him to mount tires so there's no scratches & tip him), I want YOU to please static balance. He ended up adding a miniscule amount (sticky weight).

I also have a static balancer set up at home and I'll re-check with the sprocket just for S&G's.

I don't know enough about the Dyna beads, never tried em but am VERY happy with static and the great results of "even" tire wear...

With that said, NEVER had any de-cel wobble, vibs, etc, at least on the FZ.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it works.

Data and user experience suggests that the beads do in fact work. It's just a mess to deal with, both putting it into the tire and especially changing the tire. Wheels weights are so inexpensive that they are practically free. Beads cost money.

I too have a wheel stand that I use for truing (I still have bikes and motorcycles with laced wheels) and balancing. It's so simple to true and balance a wheel...and fun.

BTW, I meant to say "static" balance above.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Data and user experience suggests that the beads do in fact work. It's just a mess to deal with, both putting it into the tire and especially changing the tire. Wheels weights are so inexpensive that they are practically free. Beads cost money.

I too have a wheel stand that I use for truing (I still have bikes and motorcycles with laced wheels) and balancing. It's so simple to true and balance a wheel...and fun.

BTW, I meant to say "static" balance above.

Originally I tried using 'Slime' (purely as a leak preventer) and agree that the cleanup mess negated any benefits the product might have. The Ride-on is sold as a leak stop and dynamic balancer, and I did get the opportunity to do a cleanup this Spring when I mounted new tires. While certainly not effortless, it was much easier than the slime and IMHO well worth it.

DeucePutts

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for all the feed back. I've owned 3 bikes and ran all beads in them. I guess I do not know if wear is different compared to traditional weights. Beads claim to balance during riding especially when you are getting toward the end of its life. It is important with beads to get correct amount in them.

So, what is the frequency for checking the balance if I go with static balancing my tires?