Need Help Bike got knocked over. Knocking sound when I roll off throttle.

FrankiePoops

Reaction score
Visit site
So I parked where I always do for work in Hells Kitchen, and today my bike got knocked down for the second time in four months.

Mostly fine, right side peg broke off, front right indicator is showing signs of gremlins which I'm hoping is just a loose bulb. FYI, on an 08, you can take the passenger peg off and use it as a makeshift get home fix if you use the hardware from the front peg.

Here's the problem. On my ride home, I noticed that when I have the bike IN GEAR and roll off the throttle, I get a knocking noise seemingly with the speed of the bike, maybe the engine. It sounds like the left side of the bike, but honestly I can't be 100% sure. When the bike is in neutral or if I pull in the clutch, it's silent. The bike was definitely hit on the left side and fell on the right.

Any thoughts of what this could be?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the $10 peg sets from ebay?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your chain and rear wheel alignment. something may have changed.Off throttle noise can also be cam chain tensioner problems.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I worked in Manhattan I would only park on the sidewalk or one of those group bike parking locations.

Regarding the noise, I agree that the drive chain, sprockets and wheel alignment are a good place to start. They’re all free to fix....everything else will cost you.

FrankiePoops

Reaction score
Visit site
When I worked in Manhattan I would only park on the sidewalk or one of those group bike parking locations.

Regarding the noise, I agree that the drive chain, sprockets and wheel alignment are a good place to start. They’re all free to fix....everything else will cost you.

I'll check them all. Hopefully it's none of them.

The motorcycle group parking spots are gone. Replaced by Citibike stations and the city has started towing illegally parked motorcycles regularly, even before ticketing them.

The block I park on has maybe 30 bikes parked on it every day.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I use to commute into the city in the 90's. I worked at 2WTC and I could park my bike right outside the revolving doors on Liberty Street. Thinking about it, I can see why you could no longer do that now.

FrankiePoops

Reaction score
Visit site
Oddly enough down in the financial district you can still find a few spots. Right outside 180 maiden lane there is an alley that's perfect for parking and no one bothers you.

Checked the sprocket and alignment. All good.

It's only when the bike is in gear, which is why I Don't think it would be the cam chain tensioner. I have cover gaskets on the way. I'm going to wait till this weekend and do an oil change and pop the covers open and see if I can find anything.