Bike is Driving me nuts

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
So a strange problem started like a week ago. While the bike was fine, it started having strange vibrations and rpm jumping up and down while accelerating and also when i was in the range of 1200-3000rpm and was trying to accelerate with any gear. The strange about it was that some times it was gone. So started to check what the problem is. Found out that the problem was the 1st spark again. (posted about the problem months ago). Took it to the mechanic yesterday morning, he cut the wire a little bit and put it back in. The bike was running perfectly, well for a while at least. Took it for a spin yesterday evening and problem started again. Started the bike this morning so i can take to the mechanic and guess what. The problem was gone. :mad::mad::mad:
Until i come how well the problem started again. Did you ever had this problem??? Really need to pin point the problem. I am going nuts.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you get erratic idle? What happened to your spark plugs, how do you know it was a problem? When did you last changed them?

You could try fitting new spark plugs or swap the one from cyl. 1 with another cylinder if it looks mechanically fine and then use the same method to determine if the problem transfered to another cylinder.

But given how cramped access to sparks on FZ6 is without removing the radiator, I'd just change them to new regulars or NGK Iridiums (CR9EIX) to avoid the labor.

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
The sparks have only 7000 Km on them and changed them like 8 months ago. yes i get the erratic idle. I know that its from that spark cause i remove the spark pipe as the bike is running and you cant here any change on the bike. On the other hand, if i start twisting the pipe and squishing it at different locations on the wire, the idle smooths out and the bike runs fine. So don't know if it is the spark, the pipe or the wire itself.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you leave the plug in and are only messing with the wire you are altering the connection at the top of the plug and the where it connects to the waste spark system or coil because the wire should be coiled inside of its insulation .
You say when you unplug the wire while its running there is no change but you know the plug is good test the plug and get a spark tester which will check the entire system minus the plug it's essentially a fake plug you plug into the wire and sparks visibly for you to see,

But the major issue I have is how did you narrow it down to spark, engine rough idle can be fuel air spark and compression issues.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the energy of the Cyprus financial system has spread to motorcycles. It's up/down then nothing. Just kidding:BLAA::spank: Hope you get your bike up and running well again.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that when you are dealing with a high voltage secondary there can be an insulator break down and arc over that causes a loss of spark to the spark plug.

On the FZ6, if it is an insulator break down and the voltage is arcing to ground somewhere and you should get the same experience with that other cylinder that shares the coil.

For #1 cylinder that would be the #4 cylinder. So if you do the same thing at the #4 cylinder and there is no change then it's an arc over and that's what is causing the loss of power. This would mean that you may have an arc over at the #4 cylinder but you are looking at #1 for the solution. Also pull the #4 wire and plug and check.

Same thing could occur with #2 and #3 cylinders. There are 2 coils. One for #1 and #4 cylinders and one for #2 and #3 cylinders.

High voltage can get tricky and sometimes the failure can be an intermittent internally in the coil itself.

Also check plug gaps. Too many times plugs are replaced with the plug manufacturer gap and not set to the specified gap for your bike. If a gap is to large then the corona discharge against insulators will be greater which can cause material breakdown and arc overs with less efficient spark discharge at the plug.

Last edited:

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
But the major issue I have is how did you narrow it down to spark, engine rough idle can be fuel air spark and compression issues.

Well i narrowed it down to the spark area cause while its causing the problem and i play with the cable, i find some sweet spots that the bike runs perfectly. I will take the bike on Tuesday morning to the mechanic so we can check the problem.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that when you are dealing with a high voltage secondary there can be an insulator break down and arc over that causews a loss of spark to the spark plug.

On the FZ6, if it is an insulator break down and the voltage is arcing to ground somewhere and you should get the same experience with that other cylinder that shares the coil.

For #1 cylinder that would be the #4 cylinder. So if you do the same thing at the #4 cylinder and there is no change then it's an arc over and that's what is causing the loss of power. This would mean that you may have an arc over at the #4 cylinder but you are looking at #1 for the solution. Also pull the #4 wire and plug and check.

Same thing could occur with #2 and #3 cylinders. There are 2 coils. One for #1 and #4 cylinders and one for #2 and #3 cylinders.

High voltage can get tricky and sometimes the failure can be an intermittent internally in the coil itself.

Also check plug gaps. Too many times plugs are replaced with the plug manufacturer gap and not set to the specified gap for your bike. If a gap is to large then the corona discharge against insulators will be greater which can cause material breakdown and arc overs with less efficient spark discharge at the plug.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I've read that in 06 the bike injection system was upgraded from batch firing order to sequential firing order. His bike being 08, would this mean #1 and #4 cylinders would no longer be linked as the spark delivery is no longer in pairs for the cylinders?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I've read that in 06 the bike injection system was upgraded from batch firing order to sequential firing order. His bike being 08, would this mean #1 and #4 cylinders would no longer be linked as the spark delivery is no longer in pairs for the cylinders?

The firing order and coil configurations are still the same regardless of injection technique so I'm thinking the the schematic showing the primary and secondary depicts a shared firing. The TDC firing for end of each compression stroke will just be opposite so the spark at the end of one exhaust stroke is moot? :)

If you look at a schematic you will see that when the spark for #1 is present the spark for #4 is present at the same. :)

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the energy of the Cyprus financial system has spread to motorcycles. It's up/down then nothing. Just kidding:BLAA::spank: Hope you get your bike up and running well again.

So i guess the situation in Cyprus has been heard all over the world eh??

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved
Found the problem. As i thought it was the spark plug problem. 1 was broken as pic below, the other three had spark loss :eek::eek::eek:. Changed them with the r1 spark plugs that are made complete of rubber and bike runs as smooth as silk now.