Bike Wont Start? Help!

haziz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone! I just bought a used 2007 FZ6 with 19k miles on it. I paid 2k$ and I bump started the bike and rode home with no issues, rode perfectly! As soon as I got home I stored my bike in the garage and in the morning tried to start it but couldn't. I have a video below that outlines my issue. Is it a bad or dead battery? Is the stator messed up? Should I replace it with new battery?

VIDEO ---->

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. You have a dead battery. What is the static voltage after charging and then waiting an hour to take the measurement? If it’s less that 12.6vdc, you’ll probably need to replace the battery.

If you had a stator issue (and a dead battery since you had to push start the bike) the bike wouldn’t run for more than a minute...if it started at all. Once you get the battery sorted out you can confirm this with a voltage check with the battery at idle and 3,000 rpm. You should see around 13.6-8 at idle and over 14 at 3k rpm.

haziz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, so I just put in a new battery and it starts right up, I let it idle for 10 min straight and took it for a spin and drives like a champ! Although now Im looking to replace it with new front tires, being it has 20k miles. How long do the FZ6 last? Are they reliable? My bike has been dropped by previous owner btw, Im just worried that I dont have a lemon or bad useless bike :)

Video ----->

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, so I just put in a new battery and it starts right up, I let it idle for 10 min straight and took it for a spin and drives like a champ! Although now Im looking to replace it with new front tires, being it has 20k miles. How long do the FZ6 last? Are they reliable? My bike has been dropped by previous owner btw, Im just worried that I dont have a lemon or bad useless bike :)

Video ----->

I have just over 71,000 on mine and it runs great.

FYI, as Scott said you MUST check your charging voltage to make sure the battery was the problem and not the SYMPTOM.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, that video was from 2016..

I don't get many bugs but the floor does greasy as it IS a "working" garage (as yours is too).
It isn't painted but has the thin, gray, floor tiles.
I DO mop the floor (after a messy project) as if I have to get on the floor, I'm not getting filthy. Tools are cleaned up and put in appropriate drawers as well... :)
Welding is usually done outside as I don't want to burn holes into the floor tiles

Looking back at that video, EVERYTHING visible is the same as today! Just much more miles on the bikes odometer!

As a side note, short story from today:

I was headed home from my parents house (on the bike) and heard what sounded like hammering from a near by house... I rode on and the hammering sound followed me, LOUD, for several hundred feet at maybe 20-25 MPH...

S..t!! Pull in the clutch, kill the engine, noise continues related to the speed(not engine)..

Pull into the bike lane and put it up on the CC. A bicyclist stopped to help as well :) .
Rotate the rear wheel, nothing out of order. Look at the front tire...

Well, found the issue.. A big piece of black electrical tape is firmly
STUCK to the tire.. It was SLAPPING on my fender extender making the noise...

A happy ending!..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, that video was from 2016..

I don't get many bugs but the floor does greasy as it IS a "working" garage (as yours is too).
I DO mop the floor (after a messy project) as if I have to get on the floor, I'm not getting filthy. Tools are cleaned up and put in appropriate drawers as well... :)

Looking back at that video, EVERYTHING visible is the same as today!

As a side note, short story from today:

I was headed home from my parents house (on the bike) and heard what sounded like hammering from a near by house... I rode on and the hammering sound followed me, LOUD, for several hundred feet at maybe 20-25 MPH...

S..t!! Pull in the clutch, kill the engine, noise continues related to the speed(not engine)..

Pull into the bike lane and put it up on the CC. A bicyclist stopped to help as well :) .
Rotate the rear wheel, nothing out of order. Look at the front tire...

Well, found the issue.. A big piece of black electrical tape is firmly
STUCK to the tire.. It was SLAPPING on my fender extender making the noise...

A happy ending!..
Whew!!!! Lucky it didn't fling off and melt on those SHINY headers!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The longest part of the tape was maybe 5" and a bit thicker where attached to the tire.

I can't believe how loud it was. That's with my stereo (in the helmet ear cut outs) on,
open Scorps.

Good idea pressure washing the floor. I have too much stuff on the floor that'd soak up water...