Bike won't start

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
There is another issue. After boxing the engine the first time, there was a code that had to do with abnormal voltage supply to the FI system. I troubleshooted and found the problem to be the component attached .

Attachments

• 20200714_002605.jpg
    20200714_002605.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 23

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is another issue. After boxing the engine the first time, there was a code that had to do with abnormal voltage supply to the FI system. I troubleshooted and found the problem to be the component attached .
That looks like a nylon automotive type plug but what is inserted in it? Can you give the color of the wires attached to it? Example White with red tracer or green with a black tracer...

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a nylon automotive type plug but what is inserted in it? Can you give the color of the wires attached to it? Example White with red tracer or green with a black tracer...
Attached is what is inserted in it:

Attachments

• 20200714_164433.jpg
    20200714_164433.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 9

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Attached is what is inserted in it:
LOL, more questions than answers. Is that the connector holder, or was that what it was connected to?

That looks like a jumper that ties all the wires that come into that plug assembly together. Interesting, it looks like there is a hole in that jumper. It may be that assembly used that screw hole to mount that plug and it's wires to a ground at the engine or frame. If that is the case then circuits that are looking at ground for reference are lost. This would make any positive circuit that the ground is related to not be positive because the ground reference is gone. This could be where your latest error code shows up because that code often pops up when there is low voltage.

This another good reason to try to establish what the color codes are on that plug. How many wires and what are the color codes? This might help us identify if this is a circuit that is supposed to be grounded or a jumper assembly that may be used for tuning procedure(example: CO adjustment etc.) You don't want to ground that assembly (even temporarily) to find out and blow another component (ECU). We need to establish what this is.
1 How many wires?
2 What are the wire color codes?

Also, how did you come to identify this plug was the result of your error code?

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
The wires are six. Each is black with green dot.
One of them goes to the radiator fan, one to the fuel pump power socket, one to the the fuel pump level indicator, one to the kill switch. I did not finish checking on the remaining two.
The picture I attached, I think, is like a link.

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
It appears a lot of current gets drawn, causing the plastic the houses the wires to burn.
There was a time when I opened the ignition key several times but the fuel never primed and the bike couldn't start. I started hitting the wires while opening and closing the ignition key. Any time I hit that component, the fuel pump would prime. I then realized the plastic housing was mildly burnt and the six terminal link was very black. I replaced the link and the fuel pump was priming normally.
Later on, I realized the new link was also getting burnt.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like this plug may have been attached via that screw hole to the engine or from to provide a ground but we have to make sure that is where it goes. I am looking at color codes and the wires that come from fuel pump/ fuel level sensor, and fan are black with no green. The manual may not be correct because black w/green stripe wire is used at the headlamp low beam. Make sure that is the ground return for your fan and fuel pump. If it is, then this was a harness ground point and should be re attached to the engine or frame. Is there a possibility this was left off when you were working on mechanical part of the motor?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Minimally, if that jumper is not making good contact there will be resistance and there will be heat which will create more resistance which creates more heat which creates more..... The internal connectors must be cleaned or replaced to make secure connection to the jumper assembly which must also be cleaned and bright to reduce resistance.
Also, if this is in fact a ground point it should be attached to the engine/frame to reduce possible ground pathing through a single wire, This would help reduce heat through the plug.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to go back to the first post and re-read this thread to see what it was we were trying to help you with to begin with. As the Grateful Dead songs says, "what a long strange trip it's been".

When I see this type of harness hackery I get nervous. Did this bike have a fire, a rodent problem, was it a recovered stolen bike...who knows. And who knows what is going to fry next. If it were my bike, I might consider a replacement harness. I would at the very least, remove the hackery and return it to OEM with OEM connectors and wire colors.

Here is a on-line store that sells such goods: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The wires are six. Each is black with green dot.
One of them goes to the radiator fan, one to the fuel pump power socket, one to the the fuel pump level indicator, one to the kill switch. I did not finish checking on the remaining two.
The picture I attached, I think, is like a link.
The link is inserted into the socket and, I think, this ensures power is distributed to the outgoing wires.

The wire that is going to the kill switch assembly may be the ground for the horn. Disconnect the link and if the horn also does not work(key on)If the horn does not work this link is supposed to be attached to the engine or the frame somewhere. The link is probably overheating because only one wire that is providing a ground or sharing an improper path. This also will create a voltage drop for all devices that are attached to that single path. Attaching the link to the engine/frame will give additional current path for all of the devices that need to pass to ground through that link and reduce the overheating of the plug.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Additionally I would try to find whether it was engine or the frame this was connected to. The schematics show ground terminations but don't note where the grounds take place. Obviously that plug is where some of the harness grounds terminate but they should be attached to frame or engine. If I could not find where it goes I would attach it to the motor.

Alkali Fatahu

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just read your suggestion. Actually, I have disconnected the horn because I want the bike extremely naked. I will do as you have suggested and report back.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just read your suggestion. Actually, I have disconnected the horn because I want the bike extremely naked. I will do as you have suggested and report back.

Any progress on the connector? "Chippity chippet chippet chippity chip chip chippet chippet chippity chip chip" My crickets Lol!