Burning a bit of oil?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys - I probably don't change my oil as frequently as you guys do (I feel guilty changing the oil every 3k miles), probably almost at 7k miles on this oil, but because of that I've started to notice significantly less oil in my bike than there should be. I'd say I was down about 3/4s of a quart since the last change, but I' not quite sure.

Anyway, does this seem normal (bike now has around 23k miles on it). I don't notice lugging or blue smoke. No smell of coolant in the exhaust. No noticeable amount of oil in the coolant. The only thing that prompted this was realizing that my oil level was getting low and wondering if you guys have noticed this before.

Edit: I used Synthetic Mobile 4T (I think it was mobile, either way 4T synthetic oil designed for 4cyl sportbikes)

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Mobile's 4T is a decent oil. I've used it in my previous bikes with no issues/loss.

Losing oil at that mileage seems off. Check your plugs for fouling perhaps? Hopefully, it's just down from not filling completely at the time of the last change and not noticing?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
At 7,000 miles I would be surprised if any engine did not have a bit less oil than it did 7,000 miles earlier. There is always some oil loss into the cylinders, no matter how minuscule and over time it adds up.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
At 7,000 miles I would be surprised if any engine did not have a bit less oil than it did 7,000 miles earlier. There is always some oil loss into the cylinders, no matter how minuscule and over time it adds up.

That's the answer that I came up with for myself, but I wanted to make sure I'm not just saying that to re-assure myself.

Either way, it's a slow enough burn off period I shouldn't get into trouble unless things change.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
You know a really easy way to solve this predicament? Find time between your classes to change the damn oil. Poor little feller needs new blood regardless if the level is going down or not lol

Edit: it just occurred to me I didn't really know if you were a student or not, just speculation because you are in Cleveland and have a roomie. Either way, oil change! :)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You know a really easy way to solve this predicament? Find time between your classes to change the damn oil. Poor little feller needs new blood regardless if the level is going down or not lol

Edit: it just occurred to me I didn't really know if you were a student or not, just speculation because you are in Cleveland and have a roomie. Either way, oil change! :)

OK -Watson! :BLAA:

7000 miles and 1qt; if your running the piss out of it, I'd say that's par for the course. It's likely to loose a little. I'm rolling up on 4k and no measurable loss.

You know there is consumption, don't run it low!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the exact same oil and spoke directly with Mobil One Tech re change intervals before purchasing it.

The tech informed me 5,000 miles max.

Its alot cheaper and easier to change the oil than a new head gasket/blown engine, etc.

A posted above, change it and keep an eye on it..

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site

Nope - Haven't done the whole student thing for over two years, but yeah, there aren't many other reasons to be in Cleveland (it is what brought me there - went to Case Western for Undergrad).

Thanks everyone - Townsend - you win. Changing it tonight after work.

FinalImpact - yeah, they were not quite the softest/easiest miles the bike has had.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the exact same oil and spoke directly with Mobil One Tech re change intervals before purchasing it.

The tech informed me 5,000 miles max.

Its alot cheaper and easier to change the oil than a new head gasket/blown engine, etc.

A posted above, change it and keep an eye on it..

Now why would a tech who works for the oil company recommend a maximum oil change interval? They aren't in the business of selling oil or anything. :thumbup:

I do agree that 5,000 is the maximum to go on a wet clutch motorcycle even with synthetic, especially one that revs so high.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
If I ever decide to sell the bike I may try to delete this thread... so potential buyers don't think I don't care about the engine. :rolleyes:

I really do love her :)

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about it now, 7000 doesn't sound as ridiculous as it did last night, I'm just so used to changing it every 3000 or at the beginning of each season. As long as you don't have a leak/burning or let it run low, I'm sure she's just fine.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about it now, 7000 doesn't sound as ridiculous as it did last night, I'm just so used to changing it every 3000 or at the beginning of each season. As long as you don't have a leak/burning or let it run low, I'm sure she's just fine.

Yeah - I changed it at the end of last season, ran it a little bit (once or twice a month) through the winter and wasn't really expecting to put quite this many miles on her this summer, kinda thought I could make it through to the end of the season without a change. Mainly, I lost track of miles, thought about it and realized - "Woah"

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
For whatever reason sometimes if an engine cannot get enough air through the air filter they will begin to suck crankcase oil up into the cylinders. Is your air filter clean and/or not stopped up?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point - I think it's clean (had the airbox off a few hundred miles ago and didn't notice anything abnormal) but on that note - I have a PCIII on the bike, probably running a bit rich - maybe it wants more air than the bike can provide? Naaahhhh that's crazy talk.

Anyway - she has fresh oil and a new filter - ready to go for another 7k. :BLAA:

Kidding, she'll be getting fresh fluids next spring, estimating around 3-5k miles before that.

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny you should mention that, about the dirty air filter. I have a four wheeler with 3k on it (Suzuki king quad) never burned oil, and this year I went out for a ride and it burned a pint in 20 miles. Thought there was something really wrong with it, cleaned the air filter and it doesn't burn a drop again.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point - I think it's clean (had the airbox off a few hundred miles ago and didn't notice anything abnormal) but on that note - I have a PCIII on the bike, probably running a bit rich - maybe it wants more air than the bike can provide? Naaahhhh that's crazy talk.

Anyway - she has fresh oil and a new filter - ready to go for another 7k. :BLAA:

Kidding, she'll be getting fresh fluids next spring, estimating around 3-5k miles before that.

As mpg drops, and/or you richin it, AND say its loosing more oil, that implies blow by. Point: as the oil gets saturated, the acid content goes up. If you plan is to change it, change BEFORE you park it! THe act of combustion creates acids, those acids etch and attack both steel and aluminum. Anyway - I saw an engine eat the oil pickup screen and after two years of sitting, ate and hole in the steel oil pan and let its fluids out! It was messy! Obvioulsy oil used beyond its range and the additives burned off, it happens sooner.

Interesting about the air filter topic, ^^ I always keep them fresh, but never thought about it causing/contributing to oil consumption.

Last edited: