Burnt wire broke Rectifier

Njones

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, been using this site a lot and it’s proven very useful, but I can’t find anything with this exact issue. Basically, one of the wires that leads into the connector into the regulator/rectifier is completely charred, and even broke off one of the teeth on the rectifier. I plan on purchasing a new rectifier, so any advice on a reliable brand that won’t break the bank? Also I’m not too great with wiring, so what should I do, how easy is it to replace the wire and connector? It’s probably an easy fix but this is my first bike and I’d just appreciate some guidance and any advice. Thanks everyone!CA084BBC-EED3-4CCB-A88F-F13A4C17D3D6.jpegCA084BBC-EED3-4CCB-A88F-F13A4C17D3D6.jpegCA084BBC-EED3-4CCB-A88F-F13A4C17D3D6.jpeg

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. Ricky Stators has quality quality replacement units, so does Yamaha. You can take your chances on a used unit on ebay if you don't like the price of those, but given the importance of the R/R, it's a good investment. There is a good chance that your R/R is still functional. Get the wire fixed

Regarding the wire...the spade connector can be removed and a new one placed on the wire and reinserted. If you are not comfortable doing that any bike shop can do it. If you do the repair you'll want to confirm that there is continuity in that wire after the repair. That red wire terminates in many places (it is the life-line of electrical power to all systems) but the easiest place to check continuity would be between that wire and one of the fuse (red wire) connectors. Remove a fuse and one of those sides is connected to that wire. If you have continuity then the system will be charging. Or you can just confirm that the system is charging...but I like to check my wiring before I ask any work of them.

Also, that wire is showing signs of corrosion (the green stuff) - that's why it burned up. My guess is that the connector side is showing a lot of corrosion. The corrosion causes poor contact, which causes resistance in the line, which causes heat...and there you are - burned wire. So clean that connector up with contact cleaner and use dielectric grease on the connector and the R/R.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And to add to the options, I just replaced my RR with a Shindengen FH020AA that I got from Roadstercycle. Not as inexpensive as the 3rd party brands, but the OEM is made by Shindengen (SH719AA). And of course you can get another 719AA from Yamaha.

Either way, be prepared to do some crimping and / or soldering. If you get one with the same connector, you need to rebuild the connector. And If you get a non-oem, you will have the same work to do, and perhaps customizing the mount.

Let me know if you go for the FH020AA and I will walk you through what I did.

Good luck

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You would do well to listen to Gary and Trepetti, they know what they are talking about. You don't say what year FZ6 you have, but I've also used these guys for some parts (R/R as well as stators for older yamaha models) and they've done well - https://rmstator.com/en_us/regulato...00-r-mt-03-2020-2021-yzf-r1-r3-r6-r6s-1995-21 - this appears to come with a new harness and spade connectors (e.g. if there has been heat, harness might be brittle/breakable). Having said that - I'd think Gary is correct, it might be your R/R is just fine, and this is a corrosion->heat issuing in your wiring.

Njones

Reaction score
Visit site
And to add to the options, I just replaced my RR with a Shindengen FH020AA that I got from Roadstercycle. Not as inexpensive as the 3rd party brands, but the OEM is made by Shindengen (SH719AA). And of course you can get another 719AA from Yamaha.

Either way, be prepared to do some crimping and / or soldering. If you get one with the same connector, you need to rebuild the connector. And If you get a non-oem, you will have the same work to do, and perhaps customizing the mount.

Let me know if you go for the FH020AA and I will walk you through what I did.

Good luck
Thank you very much, I will look into that and let you know if I get it

Njones

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. Ricky Stators has quality quality replacement units, so does Yamaha. You can take your chances on a used unit on ebay if you don't like the price of those, but given the importance of the R/R, it's a good investment. There is a good chance that your R/R is still functional. Get the wire fixed

Regarding the wire...the spade connector can be removed and a new one placed on the wire and reinserted. If you are not comfortable doing that any bike shop can do it. If you do the repair you'll want to confirm that there is continuity in that wire after the repair. That red wire terminates in many places (it is the life-line of electrical power to all systems) but the easiest place to check continuity would be between that wire and one of the fuse (red wire) connectors. Remove a fuse and one of those sides is connected to that wire. If you have continuity then the system will be charging. Or you can just confirm that the system is charging...but I like to check my wiring before I ask any work of them.

Also, that wire is showing signs of corrosion (the green stuff) - that's why it burned up. My guess is that the connector side is showing a lot of corrosion. The corrosion causes poor contact, which causes resistance in the line, which causes heat...and there you are - burned wire. So clean that connector up with contact cleaner and use dielectric grease on the connector and the R/R.
Thank you very much for the help I really appreciate it!

Njones

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the very quick and helpful responses! I ordered one of the recommended regulators and hopefully will be back on the road before it gets too cold!