Can not spin drive chain in any gear

Itsjustrob

Reaction score
Visit site
Been working on a 2005 fz6 , I do not know the mileage because there is no multi function meter display ... anyways , while up on its center post I started the bike up in gear , let it run for less than 30 secs pulled the clutch in and dropped it into netrual, seconds after I released the clutch, I hear a clunking sound and immediately turned the bike off. I then realized that my rear axle was not tightened down , so I align the rear wheel and tighten it down, try to start the bike and the engine won't turn...i put it in gear and try to turn rear tire and can only get it to rotate back and forwards a few degrees, could I have really destroyed the transmission that quickly?...i find that hard to believe...please help me out here

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With no display, are you sure your in neutral? Does NOT sound like it..
(Half click up AFTER ALL downshifts)..

-Pull the side front sprocket cover off (three allan head bolts) and inspect. Make sure the front sprocket nut is still on as is the front sprocket.

Does the engine start in neutral?

Does the rear wheel spin when in neutral? Chain loose enough?

You may have bent the rear brake support but even so, the engine should start/run in NEUTRAL.

Post a video if you can but I suspect your still in gear.

Itsjustrob

Reaction score
Visit site
Quote: " : i put it in gear and try to turn rear tire and can only get it to rotate back and forwards a few degrees, "

Huh? What should it do when in gear?

Me thinks we're being trolled.
Well, the tire should still turn in gear.... me thinks you should go try it out instead of calling a troll, which I am most certainly not

Itsjustrob

Reaction score
Visit site
With no display, are you sure your in neutral? Does NOT sound like it..
(Half click up AFTER ALL downshifts)..

-Pull the side front sprocket cover off (three allan head bolts) and inspect. Make sure the front sprocket nut is still on as is the front sprocket.

Does the engine start in neutral?

Does the rear wheel spin when in neutral? Chain loose enough?

You may have bent the rear brake support but even so, the engine should start/run in NEUTRAL.

Post a video if you can but I suspect your still in gear.

Yes I'm sure I'm in neutral, I'll post a video soon as I charge my phone up a bit , thank you for your reply

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When the bike is in gear and you pull the clutch in It is sometimes hard to break the disks free. There will always be some drag.

Are you saying the engine does not turn over in neutral?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the tire should still turn in gear.... me thinks you should go try it out instead of calling a troll, which I am most certainly not

The wheel will NOT turn in gear (engine off) as the wheel is engaged, thru the transmission to the non-spinning crankshaft. That , ^^, is normal.. I don't need to try it-

If you would, please post exactly the issues as such (the first post is not very clear exactly what's happening):

-engine will/will not crank over.

-when/if in neutral(positive feel with shifter) what EXACTLY the rear wheel does/ or doesn't do.

-Etc

A video may be much easier, especially with shifting

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and please don't run through the gears with the engine running while on the center stand. First, it's dangerous. Secondly, there isn't any load on the entire gear train and it causes backlash - which could damage something.

Itsjustrob

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all very much! I have found the problem and it was a broken friction plate . Will replace all clutch and friction plates, again thank you all for the quick responses , friendly and informative....you all rock

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you soak your new clutch parts in oil over night.:)

Last edited: