Car GPS mounted on the bike.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
A motorcycle GPS costs way too much money, and I already have a car GPS (TomTom Go 720)
http://www.gpslodge.com/pictures/tomtomgo720.jpg
So I decided to have a closer look if it was possible to mount it on the bike. And what the advantages and disadvantages are.

after some google research, I decided to give it a try.

A car GPS is not as rugged (moisture-, shock-, vibration proof) as a bike-gps, so the use of a housing is a must!
My first thought was the use of a tank bag. When trying it at the store, This was not ideal. The GPS was lying on it's back in the bag, and due to reflection of the surrounding light, you could not see anything on the screen.

So the GPS must be pointing the front at me. A mount to the steering bar would be a better thought.
I bought a GIVI universal GPS holder.
RAD | Givi GPS-houder s950 (accessoires, dames, helmen, kledij, kleding, moto, motokleding, motor, motorfiets, motorhelmen, motorijder, motorkledij, motorkleding, motorlaarzen, motowinkel, online winkel, RAD, scooter, shop, uitrusting, vrouwen, wisse

I will mount it when it's a bit warmer, pics will be uploaded then.:thumbup:
The GPS (inside the GIVI bag) can be mounted and dismounted in 2 seconds. With an easy to use click-ON click-OFF system. Inside the housing, there are sho, and vibration absorbing foams.

I'm not comfortable with looking at the screen constantly when I'm riding (very dangerous also) so I want to hear the instructions.
I tried different speakers. First, the use of a intercom system with bluetooth was too expensive also, and I don't want any speakers hanging inside my helmet.
So I bought some in ear speakers
http://csimg.koopkeus.nl/srv/NL/00000231304289/T/340x340/C/FFFFFF/url/philips-she3680-10-in-ear.jpg

This is just perfect for the job. at low and high speeds I will be able to hear the instructions. This speaker has rubber sound-isolating features, like earplugs. So the external sound of the wind and my ridiculous loud Akra exhaust will be filtered out.

Next on the list is..... feeding the battery
When I bought the battery tender, I installed a power outlet on the bike, for easy accessibility of the battery. I can use this battery outlet to feed my GPS some power.
http://static.rad.be/i/images/producten/4219gr.jpg?width=250&height=250&bgcolor=ffffff&quality=100

The GPS came with a cigarette plug charger which works at 12V/24V input. and 5V output.
http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/1000/220542699.jpg
so I just had to buy a cable which is compatible with the power outlet, and a female cigarette plug.
Easy to find... RAD | Optimate LADER Accessoires tm-68 dc socket (sigaretten aansteker) (accessoires, dames, helmen, kledij, kleding, moto, motokleding, motor, motorfiets, motorhelmen, motorijder, motorkledij, motorkleding, motorlaarzen, motowinkel, online winkel, R

I haven't done the work yet, but I will do so when it gets a bit warmer.
Now, my girlfriend and I will be able to ride some pre loaded routes.
I know getting lost is half the adventure, but getting back home is the other half and the GPS would assist me in this :rockon:

All the extra cables will be routed to the inside of my tank bag, so it doesn't look like a messy thing.

I hope I am right about the shock and vibration absorbing GIVI case, and the car gps doesn't break down.
there was a guy on another (Dutch) forum who did the exact same thing, but on a 2 cilinder bike. And he did not have any problems. So I think I have might saved me some money here.

When installed, pics will follow.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I think this is one of the best ways to use a reasonably priced GPS on the bike :thumbup:

I rode for a while (years ago now) using a tomtom in my tank bag, but especially when it rained or the sun shone it was difficult to read whilst riding.

I use the Zumo now, but it's an expensive bit of kit :eek:

Looking forward to your review after using it for a while.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I will review this setup after some time using it. :thumbup:
just a remark, I'm not gonna have any troubles with moisture, because I only ride for pleasure when it's NOT raining.

Meanwhile, If someone else has experience in using a car GPS on a bike, feel free to give your opinion on this matter.

Not a lot of people do it like this, so I'm wondering why. Is there something else that I have overlooked which could cause damage to the GPS?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an older (about 8 years) Garmin Street Pilot lll with s sun screen that helps a lot.

With that said, I have a Garmin 2300 auto GPS. In the car the screen is very easily visable. I made a bracket out of 1/8" aluminum that bolts to a modified Garmin cradle(I wallowed out the inside plastic, machined down a round aluminum plug with a stud sticking out and siliconed them together, it also gives some cush to vibration). I also made a sun shield that sticks out about 3" from the top of the GPS.

When outside, (in bright Florida), the screen washes out about 75%, not matter what.. When overcast not so bad, during night, no problems...

Needless to say, IMHO, check in the sunlight, at all angles, whether it'll be visable or not...

I've returned to the Street Pilot (no more updates) and e-mailed Garmin about updating their screens (they have a section for idea's). BTW, I placed both GPS's along with a garmin MARINE GPS together in the sun. The Marine GPS, even with less pixels, was absolutly, by far, extremely easy to read in full sunlight with No shield. I forwarded that info to them, hopefully in the future, they'll act on it. Untill then, I'm sticking with my SP lll...

The pic show is the GPS on my FJR, I have another cradle (and pre wired) for the FZ that bolts to the bracket (other pic) on the FZ

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have an older (about 8 years) Garmin Street Pilot lll with s sun screen that helps a lot.

With that said, I have a Garmin 2300 auto GPS. In the car the screen is very easily visable. I made a bracket out of 1/8" aluminum that bolts to a modified Garmin cradle(I wallowed out the inside plastic, machined down a round aluminum plug with a stud sticking out and siliconed them together, it also gives some cush to vibration). I also made a sun shield that sticks out about 3" from the top of the GPS.

When outside, (in bright Florida), the screen washes out about 75%, not matter what.. When overcast not so bad, during night, no problems...

Needless to say, IMHO, check in the sunlight, at all angles, whether it'll be visable or not...

I've returned to the Street Pilot (no more updates) and e-mailed Garmin about updating their screens (they have a section for idea's). BTW, I placed both GPS's along with a garmin MARINE GPS together in the sun. The Marine GPS, even with less pixels, was absolutly, by far, extremely easy to read in full sunlight with No shield. I forwarded that info to them, hopefully in the future, they'll act on it. Untill then, I'm sticking with my SP lll...

The pic show is the GPS on my FJR, I have another cradle (and pre wired) for the FZ that bolts to the bracket (other pic) on the FZ

That's a nice setup you got there. Thanks for the pictures. The sunscreen looks like it improves the visibility a lot.
I think the angle will be the most important thing for me. That and putting the brightness at MAX because I ride with a black tinted helmet visor.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I use a RAM gps mount with a garmin nuvi I got from ebay for $35. Been working just fine for 12k miles.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use a Tomtom One with a RAM cradle and powered from a powerlet outlet inside the fairing. It died about a year ago and was replaced with a Garmin 1490lmt in a RAM AquaBox (to protect from vibration and moisture) and powered by a 3BR USB connector on the handlebars. Works great.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah you'll be fine. I've been using similar setup for several years without issues.

I use this case: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS032-Handlebar-Mount-3-5/dp/B003FMUP0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329229739&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Arkon GPS032 Handlebar Mount for 3.5 - 4.3-Inch GPS Devices: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

And I have this hardwired into tail light and routed back to the handlebar under the tank:

Direct Wire 12-30V DC Hardwire Pigtail Cable for Garmin Nuvi 205 255 265T 275T 350 360 550 650 680 750 755T 765T 785T 850 885T MagellanRoadmate 120...

Total cost (Nuvi 255w, Holder, power cable) ~ $170 (can be had for even less now)

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Yeah you'll be fine. I've been using similar setup for several years without issues.

I use this case: Amazon.com: Arkon GPS032 Handlebar Mount for 3.5 - 4.3-Inch GPS Devices: GPS & Navigation

And I have this hardwired into tail light and routed back to the handlebar under the tank:

Direct Wire 12-30V DC Hardwire Pigtail Cable for Garmin Nuvi 205 255 265T 275T 350 360 550 650 680 750 755T 765T 785T 850 885T MagellanRoadmate 120...

Total cost (Nuvi 255w, Holder, power cable) ~ $170 (can be had for even less now)

Thanks for sharing.
The hardwire into the taillight is for not draining the battery while the ignition is off i guess?
Clever thinking for riders who keep the GPS on the bike all times. :thumbup:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother and I both have Garmin Nuvis (255wt and a 1350t) mounted on RAM mounts. Mines mounted above my speedometer and his is on a handlebar mount. Haven't had any problems with either of them, although his hasn't seen nearly as much use as mine. If I get caught in the rain I either put the GPS in a sandwich bag and pop it back in the cradle or put it in my tank bag.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.281603,-85.612482
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
doesn't the 720 have a capacitive screen? if so you may have trouble using it on the bike or in the pouch

i use my very old tomtom go in the givi bag mount, but it's still a bit fiddly, and steams up in the rain

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
doesn't the 720 have a capacitive screen? if so you may have trouble using it on the bike or in the pouch

i use my very old tomtom go in the givi bag mount, but it's still a bit fiddly, and steams up in the rain

The 720 still has a good old resistive touchscreen. So usage with gloves on, will be no problem :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

.....and I have this hardwired into tail light and routed back to the handlebar under the tank:

My Zumo is wired into an unused plug under the LH pod (this is the same place where the rear lights are plugged in), this is also switched :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
My setup is similar to Erci's, even the same GPS with traffic updates. I didn't even buy a motorcycle specific bar mount, I found one for a bicycle and it works just fine for ~$10.

When it gets wet outside, I just put the GPS in a ziplock baggie and keep on riding. Of course, I don't use the DC charger at that point since it wouldn't be water proof with the cap open.:BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I should mention that I've used mine in pouring rain with charger plugged in.. no issues :)

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
My setup is similar to Erci's, even the same GPS with traffic updates. I didn't even buy a motorcycle specific bar mount, I found one for a bicycle and it works just fine for ~$10.

When it gets wet outside, I just put the GPS in a ziplock baggie and keep on riding. Of course, I don't use the DC charger at that point since it wouldn't be water proof with the cap open.:BLAA:

I'm glad to see it still works, even with a 10 bucks cheap bycicle mount :thumbup:
The only man who could do it even cheaper would McGuiver. :D

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I guess I should mention that I've used mine in pouring rain with charger plugged in.. no issues :)

Wow, that's great news.
So I keep asking myself, why the need for an expensive gps like tomtom Rider, if it's equally good as a car-gps which has the same features like resistive touchscreen, built in bluetooth,...)? I can't imagine that it costs 200€ more to make a gps waterproof.
Is it marketing who pushes less technical creative riders into buying expensive ones?
Just thinking out loud :)

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that's great news.
So I keep asking myself, why the need for an expensive gps like tomtom Rider, if it's equally good as a car-gps which has the same features like resistive touchscreen, built in bluetooth,...)? I can't imagine that it costs 200€ more to make a gps waterproof.
Is it marketing who pushes less technical creative riders into buying expensive ones?
Just thinking out loud :)

The big difference between the car GPS systems and the motorcycle versions is the usage of waypoints (as for driving a predefined route/tour).
In this case, the Garmin wins hands down :)

Grtz,

Degake

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The big difference between the car GPS systems and the motorcycle versions is the usage of waypoints (as for driving a predefined route/tour).
In this case, the Garmin wins hands down :)

Grtz,

Degake

Car-specific Garmins offer waypoint routing, ability to save routes, etc. The only thing moto-specific unit gets you is waterproofing and perhaps added toughness?
:don'tknow: