Cardo Systems Scala Rider G9

vincentmoy

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy and I bought the Powerset for $500. We went on a couple rides together to get a feel on the unit. Here's the impression.

Installation
Overall the installation is pretty easy. It comes with 2 methods: Using the clamp or a glue plate. Both of us chose the clamp just in case we change hamlet. It took us a little while, say 30 or so min, to get everything in place because there're are couple buttons that refuse to button up after I put the speakers in. I'd say it's about 8/10.

Fitment
For my medium Scorpion EXO 400, the fitment is pretty good. I opt for the boom mic and it fit just right. The speakers fit into the little openings on both sides like a glove. No complain there. 10/10

Comfort
My ears seems to rub against the speakers if I don't pull the the side of hamlet away. What I do now is pull on the strap as hard as I can and put the hamlet on, that seems to do the trick. Trust me it's not a comfortable feeling when the ear is rubbing against the speakers. 8/10

Performance
Here's where it shines. I'm surprised by the performance of the unit. While this is our first intercom unit so we don't have anything to base on, both of us think it's $$ well spent. It makes riding solo/ group so much more enjoyable. Radio & music thru bluetooth is crystal clear. I was doing 70+ with ear plugs on the hwy and I have no problem listening to either media.

Intercom: It performs VERY well! We were doing 80+ and we were able to understand each other. Although the wind gets pretty bad afterward. One time we were doing 80+ and he was leading WAYYY ahead of me, I'd say it's pretty close to the 1 mile mark. I decided to call my friend to see where he was. The call went thru and while staticky and noisy, we were able to understand each other. That's with me wearing ear plugs.

The VOX function is nice. One thing is that you have to yell to activate the VOX, even on High sensitivity. Once you get it activate it can pick up word with normal loudness and it picks up words good once you get it activate.:thumbup:

Overall I'm really happy with the unit. It's a bit pricy but it just adds a whole new dimension to riding:rockon::rockon:

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review, my parents just got a set of these for use on their can-ams and between their ranting about it and your review I think I'm off the fence and interested in picking up a set, it would be nice to be able to communicate when touring

bigdaub

Reaction score
Visit site
anyone have experience integrating this with a radar detector? I have a TPX detector and it has a 3.5mm plug coming out of it. I'm assuming that if I get an adapter I can get it to sync up with my Scala Rider. Am I right on this?

lkea

Reaction score
Visit site
Great review you posted here, honestly I was convinced enough to get a G9. I ordered mine from 4wheelonline they are offering free shipment for a very competitive price, you can check it out in this link Scala Rider.
See below for additional information about the G9.

General

Talk time: up to 13 hours
Standby time: one week
Charging time: 3 hours
Radio on time: 8-10 hours
Compatible with entire scala rider product line
Certified Waterproof and Dustproof (IP67)

Connectivity Options

Intercom conferencing with up to 4 other scala rider users (up to 1.6 km in Full Duplex)*
4-Way (2 drivers and 2 passengers)
3-Way (3 separate bikers)
2-Way (rider-to-rider or rider-topassenger)
Intercom “One+8” - toggle between 8 additional G9 users
Click-to-Link: for spontaneous intercom connections with any G4/G9 user
Mobile Phone Conference Mode (rider, passenger, outside caller)
Mobile Phone / GPS device
MP3 Player – Stream stereo music via A2DP (cable connection also included for older MP3 players) Plus: Built-in FM radio with RDS, 6 station presets and smart auto scan
Priority Management: No need to manually disconnect from intercom or music to receive incoming phone calls or GPS instructions!
iPhone™ Compatible - iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.

Supported Mobile Phone Profiles and Functions

Make / Receive / Reject calls by voice command or at the push of a button
A2DP/AVRCP profile for wireless stereo from iPhone™ or other smartphones
Conference mode between outside caller, Rider-Passenger

GPS (requires headset profile)

GPS voice instructions override music, FM Radio & Intercom calls
Receive GPS navigation instructions

Built-in FM Radio

Built-in FM Radio with RDS: Receive GPS navigation instructions
6 station presets with auto scan
Automatic selection of the strongest signal
Radio on time: 8-10 hours
Automatic radio muting for incoming calls

MP3

Connect wirelessly to A2DP / AVRCP enabled MP3 players for stereo music (Cable option also provided)

Audio Features

Dual ultra-slim HD speakers
Self-adjusting speaker volume according to speed & ambient noise (Customisable)
Packet Loss Concealment: Real-Time compensation of audio losses in challenging environments
Voice-control for receiving /rejecting incoming mobile or intercom calls (Customisable)
Digital Signal Processing for advanced audio functionality

Charger

Up to 13 hours talk-time/ 1 week stand-by (recharging from wall outlet or USB connection)

*Results may vary according to terrain.
**Reduced operational range when connected to earlier scala rider models

chememsu

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had both the G4 and G9. The G9 upgrade was worth every penny. The G4 was a good unit, but the G9 is a great unit. Anyone who is on the fence should go for it. You will not be disappointed. I do recommend wearing ear plugs. This helps cut some of the treble and allows better bass balance from the speakers and the music sounds a lot less tinny. I use mine mostly for listening to music from my phone via Bluetooth. As far as radar detector or GPS units, you can get a Bluetooth dongle that plugs in to a standard 3.5mm jack from the device. The signal can then be paired to the G9. This is very effective and any device that has a 3.5mm jack output will work. Search on amazon for "Bluetooth dongle", they are not expensive and they will convert any device into a "Bluetooth device".