Chain and sprocket life span

Chain and sprockets life span

• Total voters

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 35700kms (22183mi) and mine is still within spec. (looks brand new - but I'm a bit OCD about oiling my chain)

I haven't had to adjust my chain in over 14000kms (8700mi), and it shows no sign of needing immediate replacement. (which is a pity as I want to go 520 chain and 17/48!)

Cheers,
Rick

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
my bike was sat for about 6 weeks in my garage, and i think that combined with my scottoiller not dripping properly might have knackered my chain. Got a couple of stiff links which I think I can feel when riding about. Will change it next week. Not sure how many miles the chain has done, less than 24k miles i'd imagine, maybe 12k at a guess

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I got exactly 30,000 out of mine, although I could have gotten more but I abused the hell out of it without the proper tension on it at 29,000 up in the mountains. It was fairly fine other than being then being stretched before the trip but after I had a few tight spots, my counter shaft sprocket was hooking real bad and the whole thing sounded horrible!!!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my original chain and sprockets after more than 8 years and 50,000km. In all that time I think I cleaned it properly twice and lubed it when I remembered to.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its going to be a while before I need a new chain after reading the other posts!
I barely turned over 10,500 wonderfull miles. I would like to try the 520 also.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Maxima Chain Wax - great product, and keeps the chain clean and well lubed.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Pic!
CHNWAXG.jpg

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 35700kms (22183mi) and mine is still within spec. (looks brand new - but I'm a bit OCD about oiling my chain)

I haven't had to adjust my chain in over 14000kms (8700mi), and it shows no sign of needing immediate replacement. (which is a pity as I want to go 520 chain and 17/48!)

Cheers,
Rick

This (above) is what I am becoming to believe as typical for a well-cared-for, O-ring chain. While I do ride extremely fast, I do not "gag it", nor (intentionally) pop wheelies. This chain has required less adjustment than any chain on any bike I've ever owned. I use chain wax fairly often, (like about every 400 - 500 miles).

One chain on one of my past Hondas required adjustment every single time I rode, (about every seventy miles) and that REALLY got old fast.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I lube my chain every week, and have adjusted it about 5-6 times since I had it.

Nelly

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Maxima Chain Wax - great product, and keeps the chain clean and well lubed.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Pic!
CHNWAXG.jpg

My choice as well Rick. :thumbup: I lube every 500 miles or so.
I've got just over 23,000 miles on my chain and rear sprocket and expect to put on a new set at the end of this season.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done 41450kms or 25750 ish miles. I cleaned and inspected it yesterday and while the sprockets are fine, the chain has a couple of stiff links and is looking a little stretched now.

I ride in the rain a lot and used to take good care of the chain, but have fallen into bad habits lately! I'm doing about 500kms a week and I just can't be ar**d! If I continue this rate of commuting I'm seriously considering upgrading to a shaft driven bike!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 10,xxx miles and switched to View attachment 43537 this product after using one the flew off horridly (see below). Ironically also had to adjust the chain after 500 miles of using it. It just doesn't look like its there after 200 miles. Its got a great applicator, goes on easy and STAYS where you put it. Just not sure how well its helping my chain live!

If the image goes away - its Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Can suggests 30 min cure time.

FWIW:

Use this one:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/45164-chain-sprocket-life-span.html#post491452

Not this one:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/prod...-guard-synthetic-maxima-stars.html#post492254

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine at 21,000. It was out of spec on the length and had a pretty healthy patina from me letting it rust and scrubbing it back off a couple of times.

I was using the synthetic chain lube from that hate thread earlier, but I finally gave up on trying to finish the can. It's coated with Boeshield right now because it's in storage, but I'll go to the wax when I'm riding it again.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This guy explains chain wear pretty well. He also has a good video about parts of a chain and how to lube chains.

[youtubevid]kJJV5DHb95E[/youtubevid]

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
This guy explains chain wear pretty well. He also has a good video about parts of a chain and how to lube chains.

Thanks for the video! I've always wondered a few things about chain lube. Mainly (i) where should I be spraying the lube, and (ii) do I need to go to the other side of the bike and spray the side plates that face the swingarm to prevent rust, or will spraying from the other side be sufficient.

This video helps with question (i). I do wonder, though, for chains that have never been lubed, would the wear there be in the side plates instead of in the pins?

Sorry, kind of a thread hijack. Carry on - I've only got 5k miles on my FZ6, so no new chain or sprocket yet.

Edit: I just saw his other vid about chain wear and lube, and see now what iSteve meant - he has ANOTHER video about parts and lube. My bad! If I could thank you again, I would.

[youtubevid]Vc4tP8kmAX0[/youtubevid]

Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
at the minute im using a light type of oil based on the scottoiler principal of keeping your chain soaked in oil so that it stays so lubed that dirt just flies off.

I have done this for a week and its going pretty well :thumbup:

So il see how that goes. as i am sick of applying chain lube and it never stays on and just causes a greasy mess :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
at the minute im using a light type of oil based on the scottoiler principal of keeping your chain soaked in oil so that it stays so lubed that dirt just flies off.

Oh that sounds messy!

If you can, try Maxima Chain Wax (NOT Maxima Chain Lube) - I promise you, it will keep your chain well lubed, and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT FLING OFF!

CHNWAXG.jpg

I have been using this stuff for over 15yrs, and my current chain is at 39600kms, and still within spec.

Once you've tried it, I guarantee you'll be happy with it.

Cheers,
Rick