Changing spark plugs

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Doing a service today. Oil and filter done easy (didn't crack the sump this time!) then moved on to spark plugs.

Looks easy, not many lines in haynes manual. First, remove radiatior, to remove radiator, remove fairing, remove tank, remove battery and battery housing and air filter. Drain cooling system then and only then remove radiator.

Oh my good god, that's taken 4 hours so far with about a million nuts, washers and connectors on my work bench etc.

Just got to the sparks now then got to put it all back together

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm probably violating a forum rule or protocol of some sort here by cross-breeding ideas, but: if you go to the "other" forum, search for a thread by a user named jeepcoma who gives a detailed step-by-step to spark plug change that isn't nearly so complicated. I haven't done it, but others have with good results, looks quite sensible.

I notice you have an '06; how many miles do you have on it? I don't recall the recommended plug change interval, but I have to imagine I won't see it for a long time.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It should not be that complicated. On my '07, remove the two bolts that hold the radiator in place, simply let it hang by the hoses. Then use the sparkplug tool in the tool kit. No need to drain the radiator, whole process should take less than 30 minutes.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You do not need to remove your tank, seat or radiator to change the plugs on a 2006 fz6. I know because i have one and have done it.

There was a good write up with pics somewhere.

It is tight but can be done without too much trouble and in a lot less time than 4 hours. :ø)

Steve

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you take your time putting the black rubber mat back in there or you have a chance to get water (if you ride in the rain) on your ignition coils.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
All done, well nearly - I don't have any coolant so have to do that tomorrow. I appreciate there were shortcuts but I learned quite a lot whilst removing and putting back almost everything. I think I've managed to redo all connectors and I don't have any screws/bolts left over. I have gouged out the heads on all the crappy plastic screws holding the screen in though.

Next time I'll try pulling the rad forward but happy I did it the correct way today and didn't break anything (much) in the process.

In the Uk the plugs need changing at 12000 miles. I've done 14000 so it was overdue. Was meant to grease the head bearings but I've done enough for one day.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
spark plug change

site currently undergoing maintenance when i posted link but normally works

Who the f*ck updates their site in the middle of the f*cking day?!?!? This is twice now in the last 3 weeks that I've seen this on SBN when trying to log in during the day!!! And they wonder why no one likes going there anymore....

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my plugs last Saturday in less than an hour without removing anything more than the lower radiator mount bolt and the right side hose mount bolt. It was tight but it worked.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, Mr. Mattberkshire.

I did spark plug change today too... ha ha ha.
I refereneced method from some thread in this forum.
Method is very simple and no one screw/bolt removal was needed.
Nothing has been released or removed from bike to change spark plugs.

After spark plug change, I did Oil change too (Yama Lube Full Synth 15-50)including oil filter.
Because here california, temerature is getting hot, so I put some high weight oil for the season.
All parts brand is Yamaha Genuine. I bought from local dealer.

Spark Plug Chage and Test Ride Result: (old spark plugs looks O.K. to me though)
1. Smoother engine running, static idle speed
2. Faster throttle response for all the gears
3. Higher torque at the higher rpm.
4. Better feeling..... ha ha ha...

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Hi, Mr. Mattberkshire.

I did spark plug change today too... ha ha ha.
I refereneced method from some thread in this forum.
Method is very simple and no one screw/bolt removal was needed.
Nothing has been released or removed from bike to change spark plugs.

If it went as smooth as you say, especially that part about no screw or bolt removal and nothing has been removed, a How To sure would be nice :thumbup:

Last edited:

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Started on mine tonight as well. Just removed the radiator mounting bolts and let it hang down a little out of the way. Immediatly started with #1 remembering forum directions said it was most difficult..no problem had #1 and 2 done in about 20 minutes then time for dinner. Just need to do 3 and 4 tomorrow and button it all back up. Not sure if it will make a difference but I am changing over to the NGk Iridium plugs.

On a side note besides them being due for a change I noticed the #1 and #2 header was starting to blue up close to the head and thought they might be running lean. Plugs looked good though, may be leaner than #3 and 4 but have to wait till tomorrow to see that.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just followed the instructions in the Yamaha factory workshop manual. I had 2, 3 and 4 changed in about 20 min but battled for about half an hour with 1 (reading from left) due to the restricted space reducing movement of the plug spanner.

I did the service in stages but total time, plugs, oil filter, oil and air filter was less than 3 hours.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I have to add, guys, i stripped my head with a sparkplug.

I didn't realise it at the time, only about 10k km later, when the spark plug popped.

I'm not a newb to engines, and am still surprised and confused at how i managed it.

Motto of the story, just be extra careful ok?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Just changed mine using the write up on SBN (per the link posted earlier.)

It's not exactly EASY, but it's not to painful. I completed the job in about 45 minutes. The #1 plug is indeed the one that'll slow you down you most. Otherwise it's not too bad at all.

Glad I didn't dismantle the front end to do it. :thumbup:

Getaway

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished changing my plugs to iridium. 4,3,2 were easy, all were accessed from the throttle side without removing anything. #1, though, was a royal PITA.
There was no room to remove the plug wire on my 04. Pulled the top bolt to drop the radiator, which helped because that enabled me to get my hand in to help manuever the wire. Like the original poster, I thought it might be easier to go in from the top. I pulled the tank, battery and started to pull the air filter assembly when I got a little intimidated by all the hoses and the waning hour. I don't have a garage, so I can't afford not to be able to get everything back together before nightfall.
Anyway, I went back to the #1 plug wire and using a pair of pliers I was able to manuever the wire out and get to the plug. But even the plug tool was a pain to get in and out. Glad the tool is hinged or it wouldn't have worked. Gotta give props to Yamaha on that tool kit. Doesn't look like much, but it works like a champ.
To make a long story short(not really), I got the plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil changed in just under an hour and a half.