Cleaning up fasteners - bolts

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figure I'd post this in a new thread to make it more searchable for others.

I need to cleanup some fasteners that are in good shape mechanically but have gotten dingy looking. My biggest culprits are front and rear disk bolts, caliper to fork bolts and fork pinch bolts.

Mainly cruddy looking not overly rusty. I have seen some videos about heating them with a torch and plunging them in non-synthetic oil, but would like to know if anyone has other suggestions. I was thinking of chucking them in my drill and run them with some scotchbrite.

I just purchased some beautiful EBC XC front rotors and don't want to fasten them with ugly hex bolts.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe invest in an ultrasonic cleaner? Less than $100 at Harbor Freight. I have no experience with their model, but the reviews seem positive.

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If money's no object, Pro Bolt makes some nice looking stainless steel replacements:

https://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless-steel-disc-bolt-yamaha-pack-x5-ss5discyam20/?sku=ss5discyam20/

It turns out that the bolts in the link above are the wrong size, despite the FZ6 being listed in the fitment chart. (I just received them in the mail today. They're M8/1.25mm)

These are the correct ones for the FZ6 (M6/1.0mm):

I can't wait to actually get them installed because they're freakin gorgeous. For a bolt.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It turns out that the bolts in the link above are the wrong size, despite the FZ6 being listed in the fitment chart. (I just received them in the mail today. They're M8/1.25mm)

These are the correct ones for the FZ6 (M6/1.0mm):

I can't wait to actually get them installed because they're freakin gorgeous. For a bolt.
So I took a half-step in fixing my grungy fastener issue. I used polish to restore the bolts to their boring original condition. Too many more important things to do than to fight the urge to buy new, beautiful disk bolts. FYI I will eventually lose this fight :)
@veloce, in case I do manage to mount a resistance, please post up a shot when you get yours installed. Can't wait to see them.