Clutch cable adjustment

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The barrel adjuster at the bar is turned almost all the way out. I don't like that there are only a few threads left and want to turn out the mid-cable adjuster. I can see the adjuster beside the airbox up against the frame, and I've read various methods of adjusting it by either removing the airbox or not.

I cannot figure out how to remove the airbox and haven't yet found a good manual for doing so. If you've done this before, let me know. Otherwise, I may cut that annoying little clip and see if I can feed the cable up past the frame to adjust it. I'm not sure that clip is necessary, so sacrificing it might be worth not having to remove the airbox. What do you think?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I was able to adjust mine without removing the airbox.

If I recall I removed the cable from the lever and pulled the cable down away from the airbox, adjusted the mid cable unit then refitted it and adjusted at the lever.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I was able to adjust mine without removing the airbox.

If I recall I removed the cable from the lever and pulled the cable down away from the airbox, adjusted the mid cable unit then refitted it and adjusted at the lever.

I may try this. It will require cutting the plastic cable guide holding the cable to the frame. I cannot figure out how to unclip it in that tiny amount of space.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cut that little retainer off and slide the cable downward and you can reach the mid section adjuster.. Cut mine off about 10 years ago..

Won't hurt anything W/O it. I suspect Yamaha put it there for the assembly process..

If you have to replace the cable, it's easier to remove the air box as that sharp curve (by the handle bar) tends to get stuck pulling it out (and putting a new one in).

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cut that little retainer off and slide the cable downward and you can reach the mid section adjuster.. Cut mine off about 10 years ago..

Won't hurt anything W/O it. I suspect Yamaha put it there for the assembly process..

If you have to replace the cable, it's easier to remove the air box as that sharp curve (by the handle bar) tends to get stuck pulling it out (and putting a new one in).

^ +1 on what Scott said. I too have cut the retainer off years ago and I nothing changed. Also, having just replaced my clutch cable, I can tell you that Scott's advice to remove the airbox is good advice. It is no big deal to do the replacement once you have the room to work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For removing the air box, you do need a long metric allen key tool to reach the clamps around the TB's. Once those are loose, (forget where any other bolts are), the box comes out easily. For re-install of the box, a little oil on the inside of the boots/TB edges, makes the box slip on super easy, no wrestling..

I simply cut down an allan key, and welded it to an old screwdriver. I often use it mostly for my small engine repairs(Stihl's, Echo's, etc) which use the exact sized allan head..