Colorado Trip - June 6th !!!

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I am leaving St Louis with some friends on Monday, June 6th, westbound for a 6 day stay in Avon, Colorado. This will be my fourth consecutive year. What a magnificent place to ride, perhaps the best in the states! :rockon:

I know you guys have had some crazy weather this spring and I am just a TAD concerned about the snow pack melt when it does warm up a little. What is the rumor in the area. Any concerns of flooding?

:eek:

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
:stupidpc:

Well, three more wake-ups and we are heading out. Gonna have fun regardless. Actually look forward to seeing more snow in the mountains than in the past.

:Sport:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rex, the only time we have flooding is from a slow moving heavy rainstorms, not from snowmelt.
But make sure you bring your coat & pant liners because there is still quite a bit of snow in the high country and have a great time :Sport:

Y'all be safe and I'll be looking foward to a ride report when you get home.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Visit site
Just rode RT50 from SLC the other day ( tues & wed ) through Co. and saw no signs of high water. I am not sure were Avon is. But you should have no problem. Flood problems in SLC.
The week before on the way out to SLC I saw no cops at all but coming home there were lots. Got a ticket in Kan.
Have a great ride

clarksas

Reaction score
Visit site
I am concerned as well. I am flying into Denver and then will ride my FZ6 (transported out by a friend) over Pikes Peak and down and around Durango before heading into Utah and then back across the Rockies. I saw a report a few weeks ago of 20+ feet still up in some parts. I am heading out June 17. Please post your experiences and I will do the same.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am concerned as well. I am flying into Denver and then will ride my FZ6 (transported out by a friend) over Pikes Peak and down and around Durango before heading into Utah and then back across the Rockies. I saw a report a few weeks ago of 20+ feet still up in some parts. I am heading out June 17. Please post your experiences and I will do the same.

First :welcome: aboard..............

and if you need any suggestions about roads or anything, just let me know :thumbup: I'd be happy to help if I can

and since there was a signgnificant amount of snow this year, it is still chilly in the high counrty, so just be prepared.

Our local news station just did a piece on the Pikes Peak Highway, it is paved almost to the summit now.

Last edited:

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site

I was just up in Pikes Peak area 2 weeks ago when they got some snow but it was in the highest areas, roads were good. Pagosa Springs was also clear but chilly. I was in Durango this last weekend and it was beautiful. You will still see patches on the high spots and some snow on the shoulders but everything is goood to go. I will caution you to keep a eye on the road, we use a light gravel on the roads when it snows. Most of it is on the shoulders but some still might be in the middle of the lane.

Have a great trip!!!! :thumbup:

clarksas

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome. Very nice. I have had my 2007 FZ6 for exactly 1 year now which is exactly how long I have been riding. I have come along way since that Riders Edge Course at Durham Harley Davidson and feel very much at one on the FZ6. I signed up for this CO trip when I knew it was the best feeling to be riding on the open road. I have her ready to go with touring screen and wolfman luggage. Just added new Pilot 3 tires and I must say they are damn sweet. Much added confidence on the tight corners. Will be heading out from Crystal Inn next to Mile High HD on June 17.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm, they are starting to report a little flooding, but still nothing to get your shorts in a bunch over. The thing we are dealing with right now is the smoke & haze from the Arizona fires.
I hope they get rain soon :(

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm, they are starting to report a little flooding, but still nothing to get your shorts in a bunch over. The thing we are dealing with right now is the smoke & haze from the Arizona fires.
I hope they get rain soon :(

Forest fire smoke sucks :mad: Too bad about those fires, nice country down in the Alpine area. A lot like our eastern Sierra's .