Convertion to fz6n. Need kit.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Doing a 2008 fz6s-fz6n conversion. Can anyone recommend where to get a good complete kit? Ideally would like to have fz1, fz8, fz9 headlights but I realize that would require some modification to fit it and it's being done by a dealership not me.
Is there still anywhere to get the vs1 kit? Or a fz6n kit?

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
The eBay kit would have been your best bet at the cleanest and most OEM-like installation. For having had the VS kit, I can tell you it looks cheap and has the tendency to fit just a tiny bit lopsided.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
The eBay kit would have been your best bet at the cleanest and most OEM-like installation. For having had the VS kit, I can tell you it looks cheap and has the tendency to fit just a tiny bit lopsided.

Yup, I had the VS kit and the ebay kit. The ebay kit is much better than the cheap VS kit, but it still isn't the best fit. I much prefer the universal setup I have now compared to the OEM style Chinese replication.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I had the VS kit and the ebay kit. The ebay kit is much better than the cheap VS kit, but it still isn't the best fit. I much prefer the universal setup I have now compared to the OEM style Chinese replication.

How did you get your universal set up? I probably won't go for the vs2 as I don't like cheap.
Probably get the eBay kit unless someone knows where to get a good quality, good fit kit.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
You just need a headlight that fits to some fork clamps and then something to mount your speedo.

Here's a couple photos of my fork mounted headlight setup.

XFabDls.jpg

8Qe0eH1.jpg

I1WJzNB.jpg

DcTJXaV.jpg

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it's basically a MT-03 headlight.

I had the eBay one before it.

_DSC7373.jpg

_DSC7384.jpg

It really wasn't too bad, it just wasn't centered on the bike and I could never get it to center. That really bugged me, so I got rid of it.

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it's basically a MT-03 headlight.

I had the eBay one before it.

_DSC7373.jpg

_DSC7384.jpg

It really wasn't too bad, it just wasn't centered on the bike and I could never get it to center. That really bugged me, so I got rid of it.

I let the dealership know. Theyre pretty sure they be able to get it looking right.
Looks pretty spot on in your pic tho

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
That's because I didn't take a photo straight on. ;)

When I would ride it it was super obvious that it was crooked. It wasn't where it would mount that made it crooked, it was that the headlight stay was welded together crooked and couldn't be adjusted.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
The eBay kit will most likely be the easiest and cost efficient way to get something decent. Anything else requires multiple other parts and modding.

I have an eBay FZ1 headlight and the quality of the headlight itself is decent. Way better than the vs kit. However since it wasn't made for the Fz6, I had to order fork mounts and mode a speed bracket. All painful if you don't have the right tools to build your own stuff.

At the end of the day, it's all about the look that you want and how much effort you are willing to put into it.

Whichever option you pick, I would advise you pull in the main cable harness inside the tank. Otherwise it will get real cramped behind the headlight and may interfere with the throttle and clutch cables. You will need to remove the battery and it's housing to pull and place the cable properly.

Good luck. It's well worth going naked.

IMG_20130908_192942_163.jpgIMG_20130908_192952_843.jpg

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
That's because I didn't take a photo straight on. ;)

When I would ride it it was super obvious that it was crooked. It wasn't where it would mount that made it crooked, it was that the headlight stay was welded together crooked and couldn't be adjusted.

Here's hoping the one I get is welded better and yours was just a faulty one. Do you think all the ebay kits are like that? Tempted to cancel my order. Because if its not centred it will drive me insane. *crosses fingers*
Already have to wait a month for it to get here.

Last edited:

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help. Going back to fairing for now tho. From what I'm finding, these eBay kits don't fit quite centre due to a manufacturer defect. To much risk ordering from China and then having it probably a little off centred once installed. I'd spend the next 3 weeks biting my nails 24/7 waiting for it to arrive and then freaked if I was stuck with it if I didn't like it. I'm too OCD for that! Maybe go naked next year if anyone sells one of their nice (perfectly fitted) kits off of here :)
At least I'm going to have a brand new fairing and windshield! Also good because I like long distance riding

Last edited:

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site
That's interesting and quite dissapointing about the ebay option. I had that in my sights for a winter project. I too though would go insane if that thing is off center. I am looking too for a kit that has everything that I need to bolt it right up and not have to screw around trying to make stuff fit. I'll have to rethink that one.

Also, the original poster mentioned that he/she likes to ride long distances so maybe it's best to stay with the fairing. Is the N conversion not good for long distances? I kind of wondered about that myself.