Cracked Frames?

SilkySmooth

Reaction score
Visit site
My cousin is selling a 2005 FZ6 and I like it a lot. Unfortunately, after doing some research, it looks like they are prone to frame cracks. How common is this problem? Where should I be looking to see if the frame is cracked? I like the bike a lot but the thought of a cracked frame is pretty scary. I would appreciate any info and help.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi smooth one, (not sure if calling you Silky is too familiar) ha ha

anyway to your query, in the 5 years I have been on this site I think there have only been 3 cases of frame cracking that have been reported. One was member that rides pretty hard and would admit to popping the front and said the crack was likely from that. Another here in Australia couldn't find a cause as he is a pretty regular rider and I think the last was also not into "gregarious" stunting. From memory, in each case the bikes were stripped down and welded. You need to have the right talented person to do the weld tho'!
I check mine for cracks every month or so but must admit I dont pop the front( only ever had it come up once when I hit second pretty hard and a nice bump in the road at the same time) No evidence of crackig and hope it stays that way.
I reckon you would have to consider your cousins riding style if there is nothing evident yet.

SilkySmooth

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the reply. Where on the frame should I be checking just in case there are cracks he hasn't noticed?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
these highlights are the general areas that have shown cracking, there may be more Crack locations.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you might also want to check around the headstock. and the spot where the engine bolts in on either side of the bike, if the bike has been down with crash knobs on, there is a chance that there was some serious stress around both those points.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As posted above, the few cracks were as AGFs pic shows.
Just above the swing arm bolt running horizontal.

As I recall, it was only the right side frame.

And of those bikes, they were wheelied and dogged BIG TIME.

I bought my bike after the owner (my friends kid), wheelied it from a stop, and dropped it big time but on the right side.
No damage to frame except some scruffs to the bulging part of the frame (just under the tank).

To say the bike is prone to cracks, IMO, is blatantly untrue.

It wasn't designed as a stunt bike but if you treat it as one, yes, your going to break things. HARD nose landings is hard on ANY BIKE.

Bottom line, IMO, if your looking at a bike that's been beat to snot, walk away from it, (even if the frame isn't cracked).
It really is a non-issue

*If your cousin has owned the bike for awhile (no cracks visible) and YOU KNOW it hasn't been abused as noted above, I
wouldn't hesitate buying it.*

If your going to stunt it, strip it down and re-reinforce the frame in that area.

Search member "Chevyfazer". He dogged the bike about as hard as you could (with the stories to go with it).
After cracking the right side, he supported the bike in different area's. He then unbolted and removed the right side frame assembly
and left the rest of the bike "semi-assembled". He welded up the frame and reinforced it the inside of it. More dogging!
sold it to a friend and bought an FZ1. No more stories here to read-which were quite interesting..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, more frames have cracked (and engine mounts), when a bike goes down at speed with Tip Over Guards .

The guards catch something on the ground and often, don't just wear down but bust off the frames mounting arms and often the engine's mounting tabs,(IE the bike and engine is totaled).

Slow speed tip overs, not nearly as much...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the bike would have to be abused to crack the frame. Another factor is the engine is part of the frame structure as it is in most all modern bikes today and you must consider bikes that have not had the frame to engine bolts checked. Especially if the bike has been cowboyed but even those bikes are very rare to have a cracked frame. As agf (Adrian) says, maybe 3 in all the years we've been on the forum and we have 24,000+ members.
As a matter of fact I will bet the FZ6 is one of the most reliable bikes in the world as well as versatile, used as daily rider/commuter to track day bike. :rockon:

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
Lot more than you think have had cracks. Mine did. Probably a minor casting defect, thin spot that under certain stress may fracture. Find a welder that can TIG and have him run a bead over it. Search the posts, I put a pick of mine up when I had it done. Some folks will tell you it won't work, or the weld won't hold, but with a good welder it will be just fine. Still riding mine!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Lot more than you think have had cracks. Mine did. Probably a minor casting defect, thin spot that under certain stress may fracture. Find a welder that can TIG and have him run a bead over it. Search the posts, I put a pick of mine up when I had it done. Some folks will tell you it won't work, or the weld won't hold, but with a good welder it will be just fine. Still riding mine!

Do you have any hard data on the number of cracked frames? Because if there was a defect and lots of frames cracked, we would be having a govt mandated recall, much like the TPS issue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any hard data on the number of cracked frames? Because if there was a defect and lots of frames cracked, we would be having a govt mandated recall, much like the TPS issue.

Certain year Honda G0ldwings had a frame re-call that required welding somewhat underneath. Honda would remove certain parts (not alot) and have independant welders weld and re-enforce the area in question. I happened to see one, on its side, in a welders shop getting TIG welded...

If there were enough complaints, etc, NHTSA would have issued a re-call, just like the TPS's on earlier FZ's

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Certain year Honda G0ldwings had a frame re-call that required welding somewhat underneath. Honda would remove certain parts (not alot) and have independant welders weld and re-enforce the area in question. I happened to see one, on its side, in a welders shop getting TIG welded...

If there were enough complaints, etc, NHTSA would have issued a re-call, just like the TPS's on earlier FZ's

I remember the goldwing frame issue, and I had no association with goldwings or welders. I heard about it on a certain BMW forum. :D

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
No of course I have no data. Just saying it's more common than you might think, especially on bikes with a few miles on them. Also no doubt my bike's PO was rough on it too, prob wheelies let down hard! What was the TPS recall, asking w/ out a search, flame away! Lol!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
No of course I have no data. Just saying it's more common than you might think, especially on bikes with a few miles on them. Also no doubt my bike's PO was rough on it too, prob wheelies let down hard! What was the TPS recall, asking w/ out a search, flame away! Lol!

Mileage alone is not cause for cracked frames. Probably the bike that have been ridden hard probably have relatively low mileage.

The TPS, throttle position sensor. There was a bad batch of them. It affected 04 and 05 modes mostly. Yamaha issued a recall and later on, the NHTSA issued a mandated recall.