Do you ride in 15-20mph wind?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
My little Ninja gets pushed around in winds of 15-20mph+...Is the FZ6 more stable in 15-20mph winds???:confused:

SilentG

Reaction score
Visit site
not really sure what the exact mph winds there were but travelling along A53 to Stoke the other day and the bike had at least a 35 degree tilt on it most of the way. funny but still felt very stable.
btw i ride an fz6n :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
15-20mph seems like a fairly normal amount of wind for the uk

i've ridden in fairly windy conditions, maybe 30-40mph side wind gusts, i just had to slow down a bit from around 80mph to 50mph (again on an fz6n) :)

trick is to grip with your legs apparently

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it's not too bad at all. I've done it many times. just lean a bit into the wind to compensate, and you're fine. I just keep both hands on the bars just in case the wind gets stronger, or drops off, I can make quick adjustments in my lean angle to keep from shooting off into another lane. haha

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes! Naturally the angle of the wind, wind speed, gusting, bike weight etc. are going to be major factors in safety and handling.

Last year Cali rider and I were riding on Montezuma Valley Rd here in SoCal, and at spirited runs in the big sweepers we could feel the front wheels start to take air under their grip. You could feel the soft washing effect that changed your line.
We were with a group from the FZ6 Forum here and decided to shut down the ride and head home for everyone's safety.

I was turning my bike around on some sand on the same road a week earlier and a 60 MPH gust caught me sideways just as I lifted my leg to the peg to take off and when I put my foot back down, it slid on the sand. The bike didn't get hurt except a smudge on the mirror and slider.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
My little Ninja gets pushed around in winds of 15-20mph+...Is the FZ6 more stable in 15-20mph winds???:confused:

Depends on what direction it's coming from. A tailwind is great. A headwind isn't too bad. Those crosswinds are a pain no matter what you're riding. I would expect it to have as much to do with the rider as the bike, maybe more. If it gets too bad (unpredictable gusts) I usually get in a tuck. Reducing your sail area makes a big difference.

Sotex

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in a coastal area where winds routinely rise to a steady 20+ mph with gusts in the afternoons.

I've never had any significant problem -- I just pay attention to what the wind's doing and expect to go down long stretches of road with a bit of a lean angle dialed in. I also remind myself to stay loose when gusts start pushing the bike a bit to one side or the other in the lane. Overreacting to the small deviations just makes things worse, and it's always smoother to let the bike re-settle and then nudge it gently back where I want it...

I've never felt any inherent instability that gave rise to concern...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not an issue whatsoever on FZ6. I do remember feeling sideways wind quite a bit more when I was riding Ninja 250, but even that wasn't so bad compared cycling in 20mph wind.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Worst I've ridden was sustained wind of 60kph with gusts of up to 90kph.

No the FZ was not a tank plowing through that. Haha, I was riding sideways hanging off the bike but in a straight line.

It was actually pretty awesome. I was happy to get home (busy highway dodging cars) but was still pretty sweet. Lol

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
15-20mph winds are nothing. I've ridden my bicycle in 30+mph winds. Compared to that the FZ6 feels like a rock. We've had quite a few days with gusts up to 50mph here in Maryland lately.

Tim

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks...It's my first season, so I'm learning about cross wind...More time in the seat will help...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say 15 to 20 mph wind not really an issue.

Gusts though can catch you offguard. As a newbie I found myself into the next lane because I could not handle a wind gust. almost crapped my pants. luckily no cars around.

Just today I had a couple wind gusts move me 2X or 3X within the lane. I thought wow that is pretty strong but dealt with is much better 1 year later. same road, really identical conditions as last year but the rider is different.

Seems not really an issue so long as you don't overcorrect and that takes a little experience to get that down right.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Try riding a TW200 in 30+ winds. Interesting to say the least. lol And yes, the FZ6 will stay put much easier in 15-20mph breezes. You should try riding on a coastal road sometime, it can get real interesting real fast. :thumbup:

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden in 30mph cross winds with 60mph gusts no problem just have to compensate. Same conditions on a busy interstate isn't as fun, goofy wind burst off trucks and the wind gets tricky.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wind only really gets me' down when I am touring...nothing worse than riding into a decent head or side wind for hours on end...takes the pi$$ out of you! Holding on tight for so freaking long really sucks!!!

Fizzer600

Reaction score
Visit site
after doing 25,000mile last year i find that the fz6 is fine up to predicted wind speeds of 62mph after that it gets a bit iffy.

mind you im 108kg so it adds to the bikes stableness in high winds.

mind you i have started a new job which is a 158 mile motorway round commute to work and its a killer if theres a strong head wind. knackered by the time i finish.

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
na on my fz 15-20 crosswind isnt bad..i hit a few 35-45 crosswinds one day when i got stuck in the rain...that sucked bad..but still managed..at 15-20 i can go 70-80 sustained without any problems

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i acctually enjoy going out on a breezy day. but i am heavy and combined with bike even though the tiger is tall it dont bother much. get the lean and go. the gusts are what can get you a bit. just take it slow and ride in it on purpose nice and cautious to get used to it. nothing like controled practice.. then when your on the highway and you get a semi or somthing it wont shock the p!ss out of you and you will react more calm and natural.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those cross winds suck, especially when they're gusty. I remember when I was riding in Death Valley, CA (good place to open up) and I had to abandon my plans as it became too unstable at high speed.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode all weekend in gusty wind, and had no problems...I even did a little night ride in the wind...:D

Face my fear...:rockon: