Dominator Style Headlights

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a possibility that once the screw is removed that the bezel rotates and then it comes out? Try turning the bezel counter clockwise or clockwise?

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried that.

Turns out there is a hook thing on the bottom end. Basically, I had to really push hard on the top end to slide the top out and then it comes apart. Uses a lot of force. The second one is still stuck, can't get enough leverage on it, keeps slipping. Will get it though.

Btw the dominator headlights are wired in parallel. Can the FZ6 stock harness handle two H4 55/65W bulbs on at the same time, or am I going to burn/short a the wire?

Should I separate the two bulbs, running one directly on the harness, while using a relay and direct connection to the battery for the second? Or is this totally unnecessary?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a dominator headlight when I did my naked conversion and I changed the connectors so each light used an H4 bulb with it's own connection like the original harness. The nice part about doing it this way is that the functionality of the BD43 mod is unchanged.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tried that.

Turns out there is a hook thing on the bottom end. Basically, I had to really push hard on the top end to slide the top out and then it comes apart. Uses a lot of force. The second one is still stuck, can't get enough leverage on it, keeps slipping. Will get it though.

Btw the dominator headlights are wired in parallel. Can the FZ6 stock harness handle two H4 55/65W bulbs on at the same time, or am I going to burn/short a the wire?

Should I separate the two bulbs, running one directly on the harness, while using a relay and direct connection to the battery for the second? Or is this totally unnecessary?
One wire from the stock harness should be able to drive both high beams. Unless the mod has already been done or the bike is a non use factory naked FZ6 there will be a problem with the stock FZ6 OEM harness. The low beam is not turned off when the high beam is activated, so if you are running dual filament h4 type lamps You will over heat them when you use the high beam because the low beam is not turned off allowing both filaments to burn in the same envelope. Contact member bd43 to see if he still sells a kit to resolve this.
[MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION]

Sent from Moto's Motorola

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro, I did the bd43 style mod (without his kit, just straight splice) a couple years ago. I use the original low beam for powering two CREE LED driving lights as needed.

I use the bd43 mod harness for high and low on the H4 bulb in single bulb housing.

But like you I live in SoCal and you know how unlit some highways can be, especially some inner streets and mountain roads. So I would prefer to have the option of both high beams if needed. So trying to figure out how to do the bd43 mod on both harness outputs, without overloading/heating/burning the existing harness.

I am not very familar with relays, but I think that would be the best option to enable high beam. Do you have any recommendation on what style of relay I would need and how I could hook it to the highbeam button on the bike?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro, I did the bd43 style mod (without his kit, just straight splice) a couple years ago. I use the original low beam for powering two CREE LED driving lights as needed.

I use the bd43 mod harness for high and low on the H4 bulb in single bulb housing.

But like you I live in SoCal and you know how unlit some highways can be, especially some inner streets and mountain roads. So I would prefer to have the option of both high beams if needed. So trying to figure out how to do the bd43 mod on both harness outputs, without overloading/heating/burning the existing harness.

I am not very familar with relays, but I think that would be the best option to enable high beam. Do you have any recommendation on what style of relay I would need and how I could hook it to the highbeam button on the bike?

If the gauge of the wire is 16 gauge the high beams should both run fine off the one wire. You will use the bd43 low beam wire to run the low beams. Again if the wire is 16 gauge you should be fine.
My headlamp relays were all powered from the FZ6 OEM low beam wire out of the harness and they run the 2 low beams at 110 watts continuous with no problem. :)