Downpipes Issue

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and girlies :)

I have an issue with my downpipes.. As everyone knows in England the weathers been crap for the past 4 maybe 5 weeks now.. I was doing some maintenance on the Fizzer and one of the jobs was to re polish/ re chrome the downpipes..

I thought the job would be much easier by taking them off completely and doing it that way.. I did everything as I should have done and its worked every time for me.

I warmed the engine thoroughly, I went for a nice 20 mile blitz, got back and thought I better get to work, I got the tool kit out, applied some penetrating oil and made myself a cup of tea.
With the engine still very hot, I started taking the nuts off the exhaust retention bolts, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd were fine, the 4 one then completely sheared off.. The worst bit is that I can't just add another bolt and not worry about it because its sheared off inside the clamp..

Anyone else had this issue?
Will I have to drill out the bolt, tap it and then replace it with another? Or is there anything else I can do? Or is it more drastic than that? Will I need another head or something??

MitchellsFZ6

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
reverse rotating drill bit or an "easy-out".

I know the panic feeling you likely got - but trust me, I've done worse and fixed it. (once broke off a crankshaft bolt pulling a harmonic balancer... that'll put you in a bad mood)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finish getting the pipes off and get some penetrating oil on it. But - do search. There many here who have suffered and gone down this road.

With the collectors out of the way -
- Soak at least 45min.
- Tap with a heavy hammer straight onto the busted stud (you said flush with flange, not flush with head). This will loosen it.
- Vice grips, try it quickly but don't destroy the stud if it doesn't turn.
- Heat it with a small propane torch. Then vice grip it again.

Repeat these steps.
After this: you grind it flush. Center tap it, and punch it with an easy out. There are also stud grips that work better than easy-outs.

Do a search. . .

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 with FinalImpact.

but I stress, be patient, take your time, if the stud isn't turning stop and tap on it again, or reheat or what ever step you happen to be trying. If you keep turning the vicegrips but the stud isn't turning, you're going to mutilate or twist off the stud making it even harder to remove.

These methods DO work.