Emulsified Oil in Crankcase Breather

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Whilst doing the dual headlight mod yesterday I lifted off the airbox and noticed some emulsified oil in the top of the crankcase breather hose. I removed it and blew it out, there wasn't a large amount in the pipe (strangely it was nearer the airbox end of the hose) and I also checked inside the airbox but there was nothing. The bike has covered 550 miles since its winter wake up and runs perfectly, I cleaned this hose out during winter. Does this sound normal?

The hose is item 18 in the airbox diagram and runs to item 22 in the crankcase diagram.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that a little moisture in that hose is probably normal as would be moisture in your exhaust. Both are exposed to open air and temperature variations. As long as your oil looks good I'd say it's okay.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance you store it with plugs in the exhaust?

For the most part a few heat cycles should evaporate the moisture. You may want to look at the coolant and confirm nothing strange is going on there.

FWIW: I installed block off plates on the air induction a couple weekends and had those tubes off. Snapped a shot as I was surprised how little blowby the engine has with reference to how its used. The full RPM range is used often and shows no signs of oil consumption or blowby into the air box. See pic if interested...

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that a little moisture in that hose is probably normal as would be moisture in your exhaust. Both are exposed to open air and temperature variations. As long as your oil looks good I'd say it's okay.

Oil level, colour and underside of filler cap are all good. I am thinking the same as you that it is normal

Any chance you store it with plugs in the exhaust?

For the most part a few heat cycles should evaporate the moisture. You may want to look at the coolant and confirm nothing strange is going on there.

FWIW: I installed block off plates on the air induction a couple weekends and had those tubes off. Snapped a shot as I was surprised how little blowby the engine has with reference to how its used. The full RPM range is used often and shows no signs of oil consumption or blowby into the air box. See pic if interested...

I stored it with a rag in the exhaust over winter.

Coolant checks all good as per oil checks above.

I'm happy it is normal after looking at your pics, mine is much the same.

Thanks again :thumbup: