Engine surging

EricJanko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!
My bike has been sitting for the last week in a garage while I was on vacation and when I got back I noticed it was running a little funny, even sounds different when I rev it.

I went for a good burn today with a fresh tank of gas and really noticed that throughout the entire RPM range 1200-13000 it surges, it feels bogged down most of the time but evey couple thousand RPM it runs fine for a second then goes back to sh**ty performance.

It still rides pretty smooth and its very hard to tell but you can definitively feel that ALL the power isn't there, I checked the fuel vent line for blockage and everything looks good. I would also like to let you know I picked the bike up about a month ago its a 2005 FZ6 with 4800KM on it but the bike sat a couple years in a shop before I picked it up.

As well the garage I left it in over my vacation was a crazy girl I was seeing so now I'm hoping she didn't mess with my bike! :eek: lol

If you guys have any ideas please let me know!

Thank you!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell have no wrath like a women's scorn!!!

Sounds like there could be some bad fuel or something in your tank, if put some seafoam in and see if it gets any better

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Description: that throughout the entire RPM range 1200-13000 it surges, it feels bogged down most of the time but every couple thousand RPM it runs fine for a second then goes back to sh**ty performance.

So i have to ask, is it load dependent? Like if you accelerate it stumbles? Or can it cut out while holding a steady RPM and then recover?

Even though its fresh gas it could be it has water in the tank. Thus it may idle fine and cut out from acceleration when the gas sloshes about. So the trick is to determine if its FUEL related or IGNITION related.

An option her is to siphon the fuel tank contents into something clear so you can inspect it. Lean the partially full tank straight up and IF IT HAS WATER IN IT, it will go to the back. Try to siphon that off and look at it.

HINT: by a big huge 50CC syringe and some clear vinyl hose and get the siphon going with that vs using one's mouth!

If you find rust and water that will tell us our next steps.

If you can run it in TOTAL DARKNESS and look under the tank at the plug wires and caps sometimes you'll see arc over. It's gotta be real dark though. Also if you mist a the running engine with water to the plug wries and it quits running that's a pretty good sign you have weak plug wires or faulty plugs as its easier to jump through the insulated wire than across the plugs gap! not Good!

have you pulled the plugs yet?

EricJanko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the input!

I pulled my plugs the looked fine but since they were a pain to get out I threw new ones in, charged the battery, and ran a shock treatment of Yamaha's Ring Free and now shes running better then when i first bought it.

I'm unsure witch of those 3 things might of helped it but I'm leaning more towards the plugs.

Thanks
Eric

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny story and kind of a side note, but the outboard I have for my boat; an OX66 saltwater series II, a mechanic recommended the cheapest gas and the Yamaha Ring Free...it's ran like a champ ever since:thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
also check there's no tight links on your chain, and check brakes aren't binding. It's a subtle difference, but you can feel it, usually less noticeable if the rpms are high. This is only if it's a very slight surge though

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ringfree isn't cheap but it does work really good!
Resurrecting this old thread.... Had the surging today. Had it last year once and it mysteriously went away.

Prior to the issue today, I had filled up recently and added seafoam to the tank just for s&g. Rode it once last week and no issues.

Today I head out to a Bikes & Breakfast meet and as I hold a steady throttle I get some surging. First noticed it about 45 minutes into the ride, so the bike was plenty warm. Feels like a lean surge from the old Holley carburetor days. If I roll on it pulls like a champ. Idles fine with no abnormal RPM swings.

First question - Anyone else have experience with this type of issue?

Second Question - I am going to run some Ring Free through the tank, just because I never have and want to see what all the hub bub is about. What is the recommended dosage? How much per tank and how many tankfulls? @TownsendsFJR1300 , I know you are a big proponent of the product.... What can you or anyone can tell me?

Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Normal regular dosage is 1 oz / 10 gallons..

Shock treatment is 2 oz / 1 gallon

You should feel a difference with one tank "shocked"..

(I run it in ALL my vehicles/machines)..

Sounds like an injector may be slightly clogged...

Ok, I ordered 32 ounces of Ring Free. I will shock the fuel system with 10oz initially. That will leave me 22 ounces, enough for 4 fill-ups at the regular dosage if needed. Stuff is expensive. Was wondering if I could use Tito's Vodka. Less than half the price and I can make martinis with the leftovers :)