Error Code 19 :(

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys...

Before I go further let me say I am a COMPLETE mechanical n00b. And I break things so need some confidence inspiring post if i go further into checking. I also want to say I searched the forums and have done some minor testing. Which has led me here, to make this thread.

You know the drill. Bike cranks well but will not start. I have had one or two incidents before, but the starter would not even engage. This is the first time I got a fault code, though.

Bike had been shut off for about an hour. I tried several times and the bike started, at last. No code thrown out, of course. But before that is was 19 on each try.

Rode for half an hour, bike started and ran as normal after shut down. I did some checking and did all of this:

Several times, bike was fine. I checked connections at the clutch / sidestand switch and they seem tight. But again I have no idea what the heck I am looking at? I read to pull them apart, clean, etc. But how? I see some screws, there. Do I need to remove these to take the switches apart? I don't want to break anything or pull wires out of where they need to be. So pics or n00b friendly guidance would be nice.

I rely on my bike daily so would like to resolve this. If there is anything to resolve? Could it be my ECU just misreading things? Do bikes sometimes just show random and occasional glitchiness? I want to be safe on the road, and not left stranded. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

Personally I see no reason for all these "cut off" switches, really. I mean clutch / stand / neutral switch? Who needs 'em!

Thanks in advance :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
ok i have to ride this thing. wish me luck. also i think i rook off a bunch of electrical grease while cleaning and checking around? their was a whole gob of it. still a lot on there. not at the stand but where it runs to? maybe i should gob some back on?

who knows? but i have to ride so wish me luck. thanks for any help or links. i will post back when i return

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you're on the right path. The side stand switch is needed for the starter to operate because there is a starter cutoff relay assembly that looks for the side stand signal and if the unit sees the side stand down it sends a signal to the ECU and the ECU stops the engine. There are only 2 wires to the switch. Check the wires. If need be you can disconnect the wires and bypass the switch if it is bad. I don't know it the switch operated with normally open or normal closed so try the wire disconnected and if it doesn't start twist the wires together and see if it starts. Just remember that if you operate the bike this way, you will have no safety for the side stand being left in the down position!
Let us know what you find. :)

Also I had to remove copyright material from your first post. We're not allowed to do that.

I can see the general area you live in so if you want, you are welcome to come down to San Diego and I'll help with anything I can on your bike. Just PM me first... :)

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fault Code: 19
Diagnostic Code: 20
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness (ECU coupler).
Malfunction in ECU

Start of with making sure your plugs to the ECU are secure. Unplug them and clean them up; make sure there is good contact. Make sure the wiring harness is good.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fault Code: 19
Diagnostic Code: 20
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness (ECU coupler).
Malfunction in ECU

Start of with making sure your plugs to the ECU are secure. Unplug them and clean them up; make sure there is good contact. Make sure the wiring harness is good.

^^^^^Yes this could be it.^^^^^

I have another Yamaha list that calls out:
19 - Open circuit is detected in the input lead from the sidestand switch to the ECU.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: even tho contacts look clean, there can be thin film of material that prevents conduction.

If you use abrasives to clean these items the plating will suffer but if the bike is 10 year old (didn't look), the plating is likely gone right where it contacts anyway. Clean it run some very fine abrasive through it and lube it with contact grease.

Do you have an ohm meter? You can test it that way. Unplug it from the ECM and place test leads across it. Extend and retract it. Should go from open (infinite) to less than an ohm on the 20 ohm scale.

Also you can go into diagnostic mode 20 and see what the ECM sees about the starter circuit.

S2 In Diagnostic Mode:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks everyone :cheer:

i rode last night without incident. i have more business this morning so will be riding again. have some all day business and no garage (apartment) so will be walking through some of these things tomorrow with my bike. this is my first time doing this so will take some time and familiarize myself with the process a bit further before diving in. especially the ECU location and diagnostic mode stuff

i called my mechanic and he said just about the same as you all. he's a one man show, works on his own, and doesn't need business as has has plenty. so he explained as much over the phone to me. pretty nice to have a guy who when asked 'when can i bring my bike in' says "you don't need to, yet. do this and that first." he even told me if i break down i can get it started myself IF the prob is the switches / connections through bypassing stuff on the spot. just carry a few little tools and items with me and i can DIY on the road

I can see the general area you live in so if you want, you are welcome to come down to San Diego and I'll help with anything I can on your bike. Just PM me first... :)

that is a super generous offer and imo extraordinary in the best sense of the word. if not this time, you never know about next. but if this persists you may see me sooner then later. after all, i ride a FZ6 in the fastest '07 color. i'd be down there in no time!

thanks again :thumbup: